Aug Picture Thread

i made one a while back, it got turned into a bullpups thread for everything that didnt fit haha. and as fo my talk on microswitches i mean forgoing FETs totally and just wiring a switch directly into the gearbox ;) im turning mine into a battle rifle anyways

edit: and the selectors a PITA unless you're happy using your middle finger on the trigger, then your index is free to switch it about, but mines either on safe or semi so not really an issue, and its not exactly hard to use it one handed either.

Edited by Im going space
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

okay guys a few questions

ive been racking by brain for the last few weeks trying to figure out the best way to reproduce the most accurate looking A3 i can.

now i dont know which base gun to start from the TM Civi or the HC?

the reciever of the HC is more accurate but the front end is hideous. what do i need to do to get this or as close as possible to it? The top rail is the hardest part to replicate, and i have noticed the gas block?? the piece the grip attaches to is different to that on the Marui High Cycle?

any thoughts?

NEW-STEYR-AUG-right.jpg

What is the RIS block you've used to replace the origonal grip. I've just picked up an aug with a broken front grip so I was planning on doing the same, but I can't find any RIS blocks like that.

Thanks.

I machined it out of a PVC block. The one that comes with the TM HC AUG is pretty close, but I have no idea how you would source one.

had a slight brainwave earlier.

would this rail be the closest thing to the A3 upper rail? it looks like an easy mod to fit to a HC but then i need the Civi barrel/gas block set so in essence i need 2 Augs to make something that looks as close to an A3 as possible

If you look back a bit in this same thread, I had the same project in mind less than a year ago. Someone on here made it about 2-3 years back and I re-posted his pictures on this thread.

I'd say start with a regular AUG and mod the upper with a G36 C rail, hacksaw, putty/epoxy, some screws and paint.

• 2 weeks later...

TM's AUG High Cycle *IS* an A3. It's the AUG A3 XS 9mm without the 9mm magazine adaptor.

As seen here:

4685929060_d38af95228_z.jpg

As you can see, there aren't many external differences between the receivers and barrels of the A3 9mm XS and the standard A3:

4685295953_6d08c78d40_z.jpg

Just a squared-off rail instead of the curved front, a shorter barrel, completely different gas block (because the 9mm version uses a different system than the 5.56mm) and a different foregrip rail. 

Converting a TM AUG HC to look more like the 5.56mm A3 shouldn't be hard at all. The rail you linked to earlier seems like a good place to start. Me, I'm still waiting for someone to bring out the A3 SF:

4685948468_c5b7be9924_z.jpg

That's beauty, right there.

that is pretty nice., well i am starting off with the AUG civi, and ordering a HC receiver (how long that will take is another question) so i can mod that rail onto the HC receiver, there are 2 lengths of rail 9" and 11" i am guessing the 9" would be the better one to go for, i may even go as far as to mod the rail to get a QD mount on it as i have a machine shop and a wealth of technicians at my disposal for such an ambitious idea :)

as for the short outer barrel, what options are there?

See the AUG FAQ thread linked in my Sig for some information on barrel options (it's in some of the earlier posts) as well as all manner of other information (although you have to wade through some dross to get it, since I can't delete the useless posts).

It seems there are quite a few more options available for the AUG these days, so some of the information in the FAQ thread might be in need of updating.

Sorry about the dead links.

It doesn't really matter what length is pictured, so just get whatever length you want/like best/suits your style of play.

The standard lengths for the A1/A2 are in the FAQ thread.

If you were serious about having access to CNC machines and suchlike, you could do brisk business making airsoft parts, especially for hard to source items or weak parts like replacement pins for the AUG foregrip, rails to replace the foregrip with, metal cocking handles for the G36, steel cocking handle for the M249, etc, etc...

There's more than a few things on my wishlist, but unfortunately funds make getting any new items pretty much impossible for the foreseeable future.

Speak to Doc if you need more help or information about making custom parts and things like that. He knocked up a completely custom barrel, silencer and magazine adaptor for my AUG 9mm project, so he should be able to answer many of the questions you might have.

Edited by Hedganian

if i can get hold of the drawings for the A3 rail and exact measurements it would be a simple job to CNC mill one, same goes for any other parts really if i can get the part for measurement/3d scanning or a full drawing of it i can throw a few £'s at the lads in the machine shop to bash a few out. hell i can even 3D print small plastic parts too such as pistol grips and rail covers.

i will have to do a few trials for 3D scanning to see if the tolerances match up but as for machining if people trust me with the unbroken/original part i can have them machined if they are not too complex.

Edited by Fellowz

You just pretty much said you've got a license to print money in the airsoft world....

The hard part would be getting the correct specs for things, though. Especially in the UK, most of the things we're talking about are illegal for private ownership and hideously expense otherwise. You could have some luck searching in America for someone with access to the parts or specs.

Since pretty much everything TM ever produced is made of "Marui's Monkey Metal" or Triple-M for short, I assume the AUG HC is no exception. I can't imagine that they'd have changed the internal barrel design, just made a new gas block and barrel for it. But I don't actually have one, so can't say for certain.

if i can get hold of the drawings for the A3 rail and exact measurements it would be a simple job to CNC mill one, same goes for any other parts really if i can get the part for measurement/3d scanning or a full drawing of it i can throw a few £'s at the lads in the machine shop to bash a few out. hell i can even 3D print small plastic parts too such as pistol grips and rail covers.

i will have to do a few trials for 3D scanning to see if the tolerances match up but as for machining if people trust me with the unbroken/original part i can have them machined if they are not too complex.

i have been thinking about modding an aug a2 to make an a3 aswell, so far i have made a first try in 3d so maybe this will help http://www.shapeways.com/model/1368794/aug-a3-toprail.html?li=my-models&materialId=6

since i havent gotten my aug yet i dont know if the measurements are correct, most of this is done by eye from various images i found online.

• 4 months later...