Aug Picture Thread

Or, even easier, (but a bit more expensive) buy one of these:

file_49.jpg

I've had one for many years, use it on my A1 style AUGs with the built-in scope (mainly because the flat-top AUG receiver is too low to fit it comfortably) and it works well.

The up side is that if you decide you don't want a side rail any more, then there are no holes in the receiver. The down side is that it's not "real steel" and it costs more than a really cheap rail and a couple of screws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking into making an A3-SF eventually. I'm almost done designing a rail to replace the foregrip, and then it's on to designing the top rail replacement, and then finding a decently priced machine shop. ;)

By that time someone will probably have released a kit anyway. :P

The A3-SF doesn't have a rail replacing the foregrip.

This is the AUG A3:

d72417d364.jpg

It has a rail system where the folding AUG foregrip goes. The A3-SF looks like this:

bf296b6bd3.jpg

Note the original style AUG folding grip and receiver have been restored, and how it looks good again instead of ugly as *fruitcage*.

The 9mm version also has a rail where the foregrip should be, but it only has a single rail instead of 3 like the 5.56mm A3:

68586d187f.jpg

You'll note how that looks remarkably similar to the AUG High Cycle that TM recently released, although TM didn't bother to make the 9mm magazine adaptor for it, sticking with the already-common AUG 5.56mm mags.

Lastly, if you can get someone to make an AUG A3-SF, put me down for one! I'm not even kidding...

Right, my bad. I have been working on the foregrip rail from the A3-XS, even since Marui released it because they made the rail way too big and it looks terrible. Making the integrated scope of the A3-SF would be pretty tough but I'm pretty confident I can make an upper rail relatively easy.

If I do get into production mode I will let you guys know, because it's always cheaper when you make more and I know as AUG users our customization options are fairly limited.

Besides, I know we all have been wanting a true A3 ever since those horrible "A3" kits were released.

Here's where I'm at with the foregrip rail, just trying to figure out how to attach it.

augrail.jpg

Edited by TerranCmdr

The proper A3 foregrip rail system thingy has rails on the sides as well, for the attachment of lasers and lights and whatever. Yours has a little rail on the top - what's the thought behind that?

The scope on the A3-SF would be hard to make, but it might be possible to modify one of the existing scoped receivers from an A1?

I'm not sure that TM did such a bad job with the AUG HC - the rail *DOES* look too chunky but I've seen a lot worse.

HCAUGTM.jpg

Your design would look a lot better in there instead of the TM stock one, I definitely agree with you there.

But I don't actually want a realistic AUG A3 because they look horrible. The A3-SF is what the A3 should look like. :)

Gah, I wish I could find the picture I was working off of, but it's an aftermarket rail that already exists. I think that upper part would work well with a 45degree mount or something like that. I might just end up not putting that part on in the end, probably would cost more than it's worth. And the one with the rail on the side looks a little busy to me.

I'm going for one of these as the final product.

myweapon2.jpg

Quick couple of questions.

Do the upper and lower come apart easy like on a P90?

If so, what is the shortest length piece when this is done?

I am looking to replace my P90 as my "rucksack gun" for days when I have to get to a skirmish on my motorbike. P90 mags are becoming a ball-ache.

I've never been really sure why anyone would replace the perfectly good folding foregrip with a rail so they can mount.... a *foregrip* on it...?!? O_o

The short rail is too small for a UGL or anything else really, apart from a light or whatever, but you're still going to need a foregrip, so there's not enough room for one as well as a light or laser. So really - what is the point?

The only reason I can see for the real steel 9mm A3 XS having one is that the foregrip on the 9mm didn't fold anyway, because the barrel is too short. And apparently a lot of people don't like the AUG's foregrip for some reason, so with a rail you can use whatever you like the best.

So, yeah, definitely the bottom picture with the standard foregrip, but I'd go with a slightly longer barrel as well - just my personal preference, of course.

The best thing about the AUG is how easy it is to swap barrels. :)

If you can make an accurate AUG A3 kit, I'll definitely be in the market for one, though. Maybe you could get a head start by modding the receiver from a TM AUG HC?

I'd also be interested in an accurate under-rail to replace TM's not-quite-right one when I finally get my hands on an AUG HC.

Scorch - I've never used a P90, so I've no idea how they compare to the AUG. But the AUG comes apart into 3 main parts - slide the cocking handle back and use the barrel release catch to remove the barrel and foregrip assembly, then slide the square receiver retaining pin sideways and the receiver comes away from the plastic stock. Couldn't be easier.

For more info, check the AUG FAQ thread linked in my Sig.

Thanks for your feedback Hedge. I definitely respect your opinion when it comes to AUGs. Personally, I do like having the option to put a vertical foregrip on my gun to replace the folding if the situation requires. Sometimes I do get a little scared I might break the original one off.

In any case I think I'll work on getting that rail sorted and finding a decent way to manufacture it.

scorch - I think you may have the wrong thread mate. ;)

To answer your question scorch, yes, yes they do. See that black block just above and forward of the mag? That's the block that holds the upper and lower together. Push it through partially and the two receivers slide apart :) Makes maintenance, especially on the barrel and hop, a piece of ###### :)

As for the length, I can't tell you off the top of my head as I'm at uni at the moment and not at home so I can't grab it out and measure for you. However, it is longer than the P90 because the upper does seat right back up to the ejection port which is where your hop adjust is. If you had a CQB barrel on there then maybe it would be comparable length. Again, I can't confirm exact length, but it gives you an idea :)

Edited by EngageNZL

Silly me, asking an AUG question in a thread full of AUG users. What was I thinking?

My apologies, I thought you said "on a P90"... missed the word "like."

Here's some measurements, hope they're helpful:

My AUG has the "smg kit," basically the flash hider screws on right where the gas block ends. Pretty much as short as an AUG can get.

Entire gun: 26"

Barrel: 17 1/2"

Lower receiver: 19 3/4"

Upper receiver: 10 1/2"

Edited by TerranCmdr

It really depends on your barrel length - A full size AUG has a 509mm inner barrel.

The hop up and flash-hider (depending on which flash hider you use, obviously) only add about 3" or 75mm (ish) to the inner barrel length.

So:

- Full size AUG (509mm IB) = 23" barrel section

- AUG carbine 16" barrel (430mm IB) = 19.5" barrel section

- AUC SMG/CQB 14" barrel (363mm IB) = 17.5" barrel section

Scorch - I've never used a P90, so I've no idea how they compare to the AUG. But the AUG comes apart into 3 main parts - slide the cocking handle back and use the barrel release catch to remove the barrel and foregrip assembly, then slide the square receiver retaining pin sideways and the receiver comes away from the plastic stock. Couldn't be easier.

For more info, check the AUG FAQ thread linked in my Sig.

To answer your question scorch, yes, yes they do. See that black block just above and forward of the mag? That's the block that holds the upper and lower together. Push it through partially and the two receivers slide apart :) Makes maintenance, especially on the barrel and hop, a piece of ###### :)

Just what I needed to know. Cheers dude.

So you just didn't read my post, then? Bold added for emphasis.

Silly me, asking an AUG question in a thread full of AUG users. What was I thinking?

Well, you *could* have asked it in the AUG *Questions* thread instead of the AUG *Pictures* thread, but that's just a minor point.

It really depends on your barrel length - A full size AUG has a 509mm inner barrel.

The hop up and flash-hider (depending on which flash hider you use, obviously) only add about 3" or 75mm (ish) to the inner barrel length.

So:

- Full size AUG (509mm IB) = 23" barrel section

- AUG carbine 16" barrel (430mm IB) = 19.5" barrel section

- AUC SMG/CQB 14" barrel (363mm IB) = 17.5" barrel section

All of that information, and more details of stripping, etc, are in the AUG FAQ thread. That's why I suggested looking there. That's what I made the thread for.

Edited by Hedganian

I did look in your thread Hedge, but it doesn't come across in the simplest of terms for someone who has never taken apart an AUG before.

The barrel lengths were there, but I didn't see anywhere where it said what the lengths for the upper and lower assemblies were.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Mostly people are just missing the information because they start reading the thread at the end (most recent posts) instead of at the beginning where all the information is. Not being a Mod, I can't keep pruning all the random branches off to keep it easy to reference the info people are looking for.

Are the dimensions not on the TM exploded diagram that's linked on the first page?

I can drag the AUG out and measure things if you are really stuck, but it's in a box under a mountain of stuff - haven't used it in nearly two years, what with Afghan and everything...