Aug Picture Thread

Oh, The AUG36? That's nothing to do with the AUG A3.

Can't remember where I stole this pic montage from.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2073/2312557754_95a93b5f1e_o.jpg

Doesn't look half-bad, does it?

Weird.

I have been making my way through this thread and ran across this. Does anyone know if that front tri-rail attachment is still available anywhere?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been making my way through this thread and ran across this. Does anyone know if that front tri-rail attachment is still available anywhere?

It's probably just something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Tri-Rail-Magazine-Mounting-ADPRRIR140/dp/B002LEZHFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339632386&sr=8-1&keywords=tri-rail

There is an exact look alike to that UTG part on Shorty's (USA web site) that is apparently made of aluminium and might be a better version for around the same price. That one is polymer I think by the looks of it, for a vert grip you probably want the better aluminium part.

Its... an a3 reciever? pretty close at least and very cool.

Go back a page or two, you'll see a lengthy discussion between myself and TerranCmdr, with photos of the 9mm AUG A3 XS which is what TM based the High Cycle on. Even down to removing the gas tube (because the AUG 9mm doesn't use gas parts like an assault rifle, it uses blowback like a pistol) but not even to make a 9mm magazine adaptor for it.

yeah, agree there never liked the PEQ on anything really. But a guys gota put his battery somewhere.

What's wrong with putting the battery in the battery compartment in the stock behind the gearbox, where it belongs?

@bladerunner - Is that your AUG HC? What are your experiences with it - how does it perform, etc? I've been wanting one since they came out, but lack of funds keeps getting in the way...

Nothing, its where mine goes. Now that you mention it, wiring an Aug for a PEQ would be a pain in the *albatross* at the least. I caught that conversation a few days ago catching up in this thread. Interesting, but I am on the side of 'If it looks cool' more then 'must have real world counterpart'.

I am an Industrial Designer so I feel its right to change things, but it must make sense and be for a reason. Its my job to change things and make them better, so I can't even in airsoft just emulate what is considered 'real' or I am not doing my job and practicing my trade. For me new and different is a must. I understand that airsoft is a simulation though, so I wont argue that sticking to what is real has a place. I especially appriciate those that research any product so well they know every variations exact details. Experts are invaluable to generalists like Industrial Designers.

Edit: it looks like if you put an A1 barrel with a gas tube in the front of the TM Aug A3 XC you will have a very good replica of a regular Aug A3.

Here is a great info page for Aug lovers, it has some information on special forces that use the Aug, for milsim loadouts.

Edited by Stinky

The rail on the AUG A3-XS is a cut-down version of the standard AUG A3's rail, near as I can tell, given that the barrel on the 9mm XS is much shorter than the 5.56mm A3 . I'm not really sure why Steyr felt the need to change the rail the way they did, keeping the front slope of the rail would have allowed them to retain the front sling loop as well as looking a bit more sleek and streamlined, which has always been a feature of the AUG.

d72417d364.jpg

Above, 5.56mm AUG A3. Below, 9mm AUG A3 XS

68586d187f.jpg

As you can see, the rail on the XS looks like they simply cut the sloping front part off the regular A3 rail to make it shorter. Not a brilliant piece of design work there.

Not sure why they felt the need to move the foregrip backwards towards the pistol grip either, as having a wider grip base would add more stability - perhaps they wanted to move the hands further away from the muzzle flash?

To make an Airsoft A3 receiver, it would seem to me that starting with the receiver from an AUG HC and adding a sloping metal block with sling loop might not be that hard for someone with good metalworking skills.

The best part about the AUG has always been the modular design - this is true of the real steel AND the airsoft version for a change. Changing barrels is very easy, and in the real world you can swap from right- to left-handed use simply by turning the bolt around and moving the ejection port cover. You can convert a 5.56mm support weapon into a 9mm SMG in under a minute simply by replacing the barrel and bolt/springs, etc and fitting the magazine adaptor. It's what every weapon should be like, if you ask me.

To illustrate how well this carries over into airsoft, thanks to TM designing the AUG A1 AEG properly in the first place, here's a picture of my AUG set up in A1 HBAR-T format with the long magazine:

3270457552_12e3c92954_z.jpg

And here's a picture of the *same* AUG set up as an A1 9mm SMG a few minutes later:

4786432874_44e8b0daf6_z.jpg

Simply a matter of swapping the receiver to the integrated scope, the barrel for the short 9mm barrel and replacing the long 5.56mm style magazine with the custom-made magazine adaptor and modified 9mm style magazine.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love the AUG. :)

Just to show off a bit, here's a repost of (most of) Project AUG:

2359862332_df37a73a9d_z.jpg

I really ought to get around to taking an updated photo with the 9mm kit and the A2-style cocking handles in there too.

Is that website any good? They seem to have some really good kit at stupid cheap prices, and seem to offer free shipping to the UK on all of it...

I'm suspicious - what's the catch?

I have had positive experiences with them, you just have to keep in mind that it is, for the most part, cheap chinese ######. But then, so is nearly everything that I own and use for airsoft. That being said, in my experience the cost/benefit for dot sights and tac lights that are likely going to get shot out some point is well worth it.

On the negative side, It does take like 3 weeks to get your order and based on the reviews, some of the stuff has pretty poor QC. I try to stick to the things that are reviewed well, or, like the bolt on tri-rail, hard to screw up.

Ahh, the curse filter is stricter than I thought. Noted for the future...

Edited by Jibbity

@bladerunner - Is that your AUG HC? What are your experiences with it - how does it perform, etc? I've been wanting one since they came out, but lack of funds keeps getting in the way...

Haven't used it in a skirmish yet but plinking in the garden on full auto made me :D

Gearbox feels strong, ABS feels sturdy and durable, finish is usual TM high standards.

Having not held a Bullpup for some time, it took about 5 minutes to get used to and now feels like second nature (but still getting used to mag changes :rolleyes: )

What's the RoF and FPS like on it, out of the box?

I'm really not sure that such a high RoF is really necessary - I certainly stick to single shot most of the time anyway - and as I only use midcaps I'm a bit concerned that it would go through ammo too fast.

Really, I'm only wanting the front end, to put on my green AUG stock anyway as part of Project AUG. If anyone would want to split one with me for the suped-up gearbox and whatnot, I'd be happy with that.