Aug Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left to right, top to bottom; TM highcap, BE highcap, MAG midcap, JG OD highcap, Kingarms midcap.

The BE (I am pretty certain that is what it is) is the clearest, but it doesn't fit or feed well in my JG AUGs.

Thanks, buddy. But those BE mags are so hard to get...

Thanks, buddy. But those BE mags are so hard to get...

RSOV has them listed Out of Stock. Might be worth checking to see if they will be getting more. I can certainly be talked out of the one or two that I have. PM me if you want to work something out.

*edit* Also, WGCshop has them in stock.

Edited by Jibbity
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies to get me on the right track, I was thinking it was AUG specific like the RIS that Evike used to sell.

Turns out that Deal Extreme has them for $10.80. I just ordered one, so in 3 weeks or so I can let you know how it fits.

Turns out that is $10.80 down the toilet. I took a look at it last night and the bottom section of rail is like 2mm narrower than it should be. No accessories will fit.

Turns out that is $10.80 down the toilet. I took a look at it last night and the bottom section of rail is like 2mm narrower than it should be. No accessories will fit.

2 mm sounds like a lot, but you can still put some electrical tape on the rail to make it wider. That's what I do when my accesories wiggle on the RIS.

You'd need a LOT of tape to make up a 2mm deficit, I think.

Although, having said that, I actually glued tiny sections from an old bicycle inner-tube to the underneath of a red-dot sight that wouldn't fit right on a 20mm rail.

I have made similar adjustments in the past, but this one is just ludicrous. Not in any way fixable. Well, I suppose I could cut it in half right down the middle and attach it too something wider. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Chimera'd!

No more looonnng trigger pull and I can ditch the linkage and seal up the magwell. No more BBs rolling around in the body and jamming the trigger linkage. The trigger though, wow, soooo much better.

AUGChimeraTriggerSwitch_zps8ceb060b.jpg

Micro switch for the trigger. The silver screw sets the travel for the trigger. Short pull.

AUGChimeraSelectorSwitch_zps49e2b550.jpg

Switch for fire selection. When engaged it will activate the 2nd fire mode (Full auto by default).

AUGChimeraSelectorMod_zpsb6ecdff3.jpg

Selector bar modified with a notch to index in the middle position. You can ignore the material removed from the backside. If the white dots are on the left, all you need is the the middle notch and it will free the trigger for semi at the middle position, and engage the micro switch for auto when pushed all the way through.  

If you want a more realistic trigger feel, you can place the switch so it engages just after the detents, creating a trigger break feel.

For those purists out there that wish to keep the two stage AUG trigger, you could just place a micro switch before(trigger) and after(selector) the detents. The Chimera will transition to full auto when the second switch is hit. 

Notes:

The data cables that come with the chimera are slightly too short to comfortably run from trigger to usable length in the back. It is barely doable, but I would recommend running some other wire and patching in to the data cables at the rear.

This will all be much easier if you have a body that will split into two pieces. Mine had too much glue, so that selector switch was pretty wretched to get into place.

Be careful not to get epoxy in the switch, easier to do then you might think. :unsure:  

Much thanks to BlackTalon for helping me diagnose the problems (install error) along the way.

The UAR is not so straightforward, space is pretty constrained in there...

20130607_191013_zpsa2122731.jpg

I dont find the UAR is much of an issue tbh, you can just bodge a microswitch in there easily, but with the trigger bar screw adjusted correctly its not a problem

The issues are really more around finding space for the Chimera and wire routing. I have figured it out since, and will post photos of the finished install when I get there.

And well, the trigger may not be bad, but it is waaaayyyy better when you can tune the pull to exactly what you like. The selector, on the other hand is pretty terrible, and I figured while I am putting in a switch for the one, I will do the other as well. I respect the design decision to try to keep everything to standard AK parts (wish they had applied that to the hopup regarding the non standard bucking), but in the case of the selector they have really made the gun less usable. If they connected to the selector more directly you could have a selector switch with a much shorter throw and well...a proprietary selector plate. With the micro switch in place, it is still a the same long throw, but the vast majority of the resistance i s gone so it can be reliably operated with the thumb of my shooting hand. I thought about adding another indexing divot to make it a shorter rotation between full and semi, but I got jsut left it as is for now.

We can discuss further when I make the post for the UAR, as this is taking it a bit off topic.