Accuracy International AW .50 Cal Sniper

dobey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow a whole lot of milling later you can start to see the receiver cover taking shape. Almost all the hard work of removing excess material is done now and it is moving into the fun stage of cutting the openings and fitting to the weapon.

tds-001.jpg

tds-003.jpg

When this piece is finished I will start on the 50 caliber sized magazine.

Little bit of a mock up, it is starting to look like a rifle again. I added a knurled finger screw to adjust the hop up, the setscrew was a pita to get at before adding 1/4 inch of aluminum on top of it. In these pics the scope is just sitting on top, need to make the rail and clean it all up, then work begins on the 50 caliber size mag (has the stock mag in it for the pics).

bolt-cover-003.jpg

bolt-cover-008.jpg

bolt-cover-001.jpg

bolt-cover-004.jpg

bolt-cover-005.jpg

This gun will definitly not be for the lightweights out there. It is getting to be rather large.

I have all those pics pinned on the shop wall, but ty for the thought. More progress was made, TDS allowed me some leeway on modifying the stock so I could get the look just right. Anyway here are some shots from a few min ago, starting to look like a 50 now.

mag-001.jpg

mag-002.jpg

We talked about it and the consensus was get the rest of it done first and if time and money allowed for it then we will make it. It will call for modifying the stock some more at the mounting point and we are trying not to do that if we can.

Right, the rear monopod really Isnt for anything besides looks and to help counterbalance the rifle since the current monopod is plenty long enough to get the job done, if its going to be the deciding factor between making the gun too expensive or not, We'll nix it and just weight the stock the old fashioned way.

I'm really excited about it BTW dobey, it looks fantastic (especially the mag!)

Yes I am aware, I am the one that made it remember? Once again I am bound by the original agreement that I will make every piece of this kit bolt on to the original weapon without modifying anything in any way. If I were to make this a true replica I would have to make an entirely new receiver, a longer bolt, and mag-well. In fact if I were to make it a true representation of the original it would be easier to start from scratch and build the entire weapon.

It has been extremely difficult to make it look like the AW 50 as much as possible but in such a way that I must mount every part I make using the factory bolt holes that exist already, I cannot and have not added any holes or bolts at all to the stock gun.

I think that the ejection port looks a bit odd, I also think having the thing in front of me that it will not look as strange once it is not contrasted like it is now, but is all black. It is something I have to live with because I am not being paid to make all the parts necessary to make it a true replica.

FWIW, I didn't notice the ejector port at first.

The thing that really draws the eye is the angle at the bottom of the receiver. That immediately leaps out as being wrong and, once you look at that, you realise that the receiver doesn't extend forward far enough.

Shame really.

I guess there was no way to move the bolt forward inside the receiver and fit a space at the back of it?

Archived