1911 compacts

ruchik

I recently began picking up an interest in compact 1911's. I know about the different slide lengths, but what is the difference in height between a fullsize and a compact 1911? I am specifically looking at the Wilson Combat SDS, as one of my friends has one he doesn't want anymore, and would like to know if the gun is substantially shorter in height than a fullsize. Reason being, I dig compacts like the USPc, but not of the gun is something like a G26 in height. Too short for me, and kinda uncomfy.

borrowing a pic from hkssr20det:

3ebda98c.jpg

The left 2 are a 5 inch government size 1911(Kimber I think), next to it is a Detonic, which I guess is one of the smallest varient of 1911. I think V10(not shown) is slightly bigger with bigger grip too. Far right is a G26...

compact 1911 frames are usually about 1/2-3/4" shorter than fullsize 1911 frames..thus shorter mags

the slide on the compact is not just a shortened fullsize. .in other words, you can't get a fullsize slide and chop the tip down to a compact length. . the dust cover and slide release lever knotch is further to the rear too.

compacts are generally 3.5" and under.. with the exception of SVI's 3.9 series.

It just varies between manufacturers and their own terminology

commanders are generally 4" and up but under 5". Some may argue the SVI 3.9 is a commander, but SVI categorizes it as a compact. . .SVI's 4.3 is sometimes referred to as a commander plus.

Wilson for instance, calls their SDS & TSGC a compact even though their slides are 4".. mainly because their frame is compact based.

fullsize are 5"-6"

gah :D , saw this thread this morning when i browsed through the forumls quikly before going to work, but didn't have the time to properly form a reply.

I see the cleaner has done a propper job of that already :)

i can add some visual aids though :)

Wilson SDS slide next to a Colt series 90 defender sized slide

IM000133.jpg

3"(?)- 4" - 5"

IM000136.jpg

to bad i got rid of my single stack SVI 6" :( fool that i am....

I have the Wilson Combat SDS, too. Nice rocking little piece.

The specific thing I found on this gun (as far as I know) is that it mixes to 1911-Sizes.

Here the three main 1911 standard sizes:

colt04.jpgcolt01.jpgcolt02.jpg

Normally you go for the slidelength on the one hand, and on the length of the grip part on the other. Normally they go proportional

On the SDS I found a shorter grip compared to the other Wilson professional models by Western Arms. Though I have a real problem with the Marui Detonics in frame size (that'S why I didn't get one), the SDS is quite fine and fits well in my hand. One of my favourits.

On the SDS I found a shorter grip compared to the other Wilson professional models by Western Arms. Though I have a real problem with the Marui Detonics in frame size (that'S why I didn't get one), the SDS is quite fine and fits well in my hand. One of my favourits.

Yes, Wilson uses a fullsize grip and compact dustcover for their Professional frames.

TSGC & SDS frames use the "normal" compact frames

If i'm not mistakes, Kimber uses a similar frame on one of their compacts ( fullsize grip + compact dustcover)

gah :D , saw this thread this morning when i browsed through the forumls quikly before going to work, but didn't have the time to properly form a reply.

I see the cleaner has done a propper job of that already :)

i can add some visual aids though :)

Wilson SDS slide next to a Colt series 90 defender sized slide

IM000133.jpg

3"(?)- 4" - 5"

3.5", 4" and 5"

;)

The Wilson SDS totes a 4" barrel (slide), same with the Professional, and Tactical Supergrade Compact. . .in fact, I think almost all Wilson "compacts" tote a 4" barrel (slide). They don't make a sub 4" pistol.

The Professional is not considered a "compact" because it has a fullsize frame. . SDS and TSGC sport a compact frame.

Colt on the other hand calls their 4" barreled 1911s-commanders

Colt calls their compacts "Officers"

The Colt Officer sports a 3.5" barrel

The Colt Defender sports a 3" barrel

Springfield V10 and Tommy Franks are called compacts and sports a 3.5" barrel.

While the Springfield Micro Compact sports a 3" barrel

Kimber uses "Ultra" to signify their 3" barreled pistols

Kimber uses Pro and Compact to signify their 4" barrels. . . I believe they do not have any 3.5" barreled pistols.

odd, my tommy frnks slide is on a colt defender pistol, so would have 3" barrel then, no? :unsure:

V10/Tommy Franks is an Officer so 3.5"

Defender is a Defender so 3"

Your Defender frame is still considered an Officer but that won't tell you the barrel/slide length. Barrel length is determined by the slide and. .well. .. barrel.

for airsoft sake. . you can put any length barrel you want with the slide. . was your gun built completely from a Defender? Meaning all the Defender slide components went into the TF slide? If that was the case, then your barrel wouldn't even stick out of the slide nor would it even be flush with the TF slide as the slide is 1/2 longer than a Defender.

Archived