• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this has me thinking, how hard would it be to make something similar to this at home?

make a plaster cast of your own face, then lay some fibreglass/resin on top over a releas agent etc...

its bound to fit well then isnt it? :P

Absolutely. The difference being that they took the hard work out of your hands. But if you have the skills and the tools... it's definitely do-able!

• 3 weeks later...

My two Sykes Masks turned up today, they were out of stock of the tigerstripe we wanted, so they said they could send OD, we received Black *facepalm* luckily I have Krylon and they're currently being made up to Tigerstripe.

I think they need a little finishing work when you get them, smoothing some edges, enlarging nostrils, but so far they seem comfortable, all I need to do now is add ear protection and give them a whirl on a training weekend.

My two Sykes Masks turned up today, they were out of stock of the tigerstripe we wanted, so they said they could send OD, we received Black *facepalm* luckily I have Krylon and they're currently being made up to Tigerstripe.

I think they need a little finishing work when you get them, smoothing some edges, enlarging nostrils, but so far they seem comfortable, all I need to do now is add ear protection and give them a whirl on a training weekend.

Well so far, I definately think I'm going to need to add a foam buffer between the face and the mask above the nose area as my right (only) hand side of my goggles is misting... actually I'm wearing the mask as I type, mmmmm the smell of krylon and sanded nostrils.

So far I've sprayed the mask and enlarged the nostrils, however I'm impressed with the size of the nose, I fit inside without discomfort, the masks come with a 3 hole balaclava to be worn underneath I assume, but I won't be bothering with that I don't think... that DOES squash my nose.

Bizarely so far I'm liking it more than my Vents Helix mask, maybe it's the novelty (or the paint fumes) but I'm certainly taken with it so far, I took a few snaps just for show.

sykesmatsk01vx6.jpgsykesmatsk02dn4.jpg

sykesmatsk03kk6.jpgsykesmatsk04ki1.jpg

Small update...

While perusing the Bitter End Mesh Goggles website (I have a pair of his Multicam Fast Strikes... and they're AWESOME!) I noticed he had a new addition to his custom masks gallery that got me very excited... A meshed up Sykes Face Mask!

Bitter End took the same mesh he used on his custom goggles and he mounted them on to a Sykes Face mask he bought... and in my opinion... he did an awesome job. Upon seeing this I immediately asked him if he'd be willing to do mine as well. He said he was willing to do it but seeing as he's only done it once in the past (on his own goggles) he couldn't say for certain if he could reproduce the same results as the Sykes mask is hand made out of fiberglass and in those situations, you have no idea if they'll withstand the conversion. I decided it was worth the gamble and sent him my mask.

I got it back last week and was extemely satisfied with the results! :D

sykesbitterend01bzo5.jpg

I was especially pleased that he was able to preserve the paint job as well as he did. When worn, the wire mesh isn't particularly noticeable. He basically cut three slots around the eye areas for the wire mesh to hook into. It's a very secure job and his mesh has been tested in the past and can withstand 400+ FPS with .23's at point blank range and showed just minimal deflection.

I also asked him to line the inside of the mask like he did with his, and I've got to say it's 10 times more comfortable now. It even feels cooler (heat-wise) when worn than without the padding.

sykesbitterend02bln1.jpg

If you're interested in getting the same thing done, shoot Bitter End an email. Remember he doesn't supply the Mask itself (Cactus Hobby does that), just the mesh conversion. I'm not sure if he'd be willing to do any more of these, they may have been more trouble than they're worth... but it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

One thing that does still bug me about these masks though is the strap system. I still have a hard time keeping the strap around the back of my head as it keeps wanting to slide downwards. I'll have to create a better strap system (maybe a four point setup) before I use it in game.

Anyway, a big thanks to Bitter End for accepting the job! I'm super pleased. ;)

p.s. still writing the ArmyOfTwo Mask review as well as a few other reviews. Sorry it's taking so long! <_<

• 6 months later...
Do you think that if two holes were drilled on either side, you could slip the frames of eyeglasses inside (the part that goes over your ears) and would fit nicely with the mask?

If you're okay with your glasses standing out further than you're normally used to using them, sure... but I wouldn't recommend it. Your optician calibrates your glasses for a specific sitting distance from your cornea. Any closer or further away and your vision will be distorted. Realize that the nose bridge of this mask does not sit flush and tight with your actual nose, especially if you are asian.

If you're okay with your glasses standing out further than you're normally used to using them, sure... but I wouldn't recommend it. Your optician calibrates your glasses for a specific sitting distance from your cornea. Any closer or further away and your vision will be distorted. Realize that the nose bridge of this mask does not sit flush and tight with your actual nose, especially if you are asian.

Very good point. I'd try taking your glasses and pulling them about 1 cm or 1/2" forward from where they normally sit. The mask isn't that thick, but I'm not 100% sure depending on the complex curves of the mask as to how the glasses would sit on the face. If the results seem acceptable to you, then you may be okay. Back when I wore glasses (before I got Lasik) I had terrible vision and I'd find that pulling my glasses (when I wasn't wearing contact lenses) about 1 cm forward would mess with my vision too much.