• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once stripped the varnish off an old wooden cellar thermometer when I dunked it in my home brew beer to test the temperature.

Put the wood on the floor and drop a load of spanners and what not on it. Should put some good random dents in it.

i used some fine sandpaper, now i have to figure out what to do with the wood

I just refinished some Romanian furniture last night. It's a shellac over stain. I used steel wool and acetone to remove the shellac and it didn't touch the stain color at all. At that point, you could restain it darker and re-shellac it, or you could rub some old used engine oil where you want it darker/dirtier. Make sure to use a cheap bristle brush when applying the clear-coat, so you get those nice tell-tale brush marks!

I'll post mine tonight over at RA. ;)

Actually, if you sratch and dent it (and scuff the wear areas with sandpaper), that will remove the shellac at those points, and then you can darken just those "wear" areas with old oil (leaves a good smell!), or some darks stain, ink, whatever.

Edited by deepsix

Bit slow but I thought I'd dump these in here. If you go to Urban Assault sometimes you'll get shot with one or more of these...

post-9362-1138200592_thumb.jpg

This is my favorite...

post-9362-1138200661_thumb.jpgpost-9362-1138200704_thumb.jpg

This is my latest...

post-9362-1138200761_thumb.jpg

Everything's wood and metal and real where I could. Got a few other bits on the go too but you'll have to wait... (read as "need to talk to the bank".)

Jett

Bit slow but I thought I'd dump these in here. If you go to Urban Assault sometimes you'll get shot with one or more of these...

Nice guns Jett, I'll be playing at UA in future with my baby:

P1010070.jpg

will be getting a custom folding stock soon to hide receiver wrong-ness.