• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice.  Have you used the Hero Arms drum mag?  What can you tell me about function and reliability?  Does it feed up to par with a high-cap, for instance?

A few folks I play with are using those. They feed great, but they've been having problems with the batteries slipping off the contacts in the field. I bet a bit of creative electrical tape could solve that problem. A bit heavy since it's all metal, the only downside I noticed.

guarder AKSU - dry build done this afternoon loads fires etc ok so now Ive just got to strip it back down and tidy up the routing for the wiring etc

compare.jpg

pictured alongside the tula deact - theres a fair number of tiny details that should be able to mimick on the guarder one with a bit of extra work (bar the length of the receiver and the pistol grip obviously) so it might get a second strip down at some point to sort out those

stevie

Snorkelman, nice! I was thinking of having a serial number engraved on my AKSU. Where can it be found on the Tula? Top cover, left side; bolt carrier; handguards or the upper handguard retainer, but where else?

main one (full serial) on the front trunnion next to year date and arsenal stamp using 3mm stamps

top cover - left hand side just right off the full serial - this one is hand scratched and around 3mm high - last 4 digits of serial

bolt carrier - last 4 digits of the serial stamped in a slightly smaller size to the main serial (probably a 2.5mm or 2mm stamp)

lower handguard - left hand side last 4 digits of serial using 3mm stamps

thats the only external ones I can see on this one though ive seen at least a couple that have hand scratched last four digitsl on the fireselector too, rest of them are internal (4 digits stamped on bolt and side of the hammer)

stevie

I measured my -74 flashhider and it has a 24x1,5mm thread. The Guarder kit is 23,6mmx1,5mm so the real flashider fits the Guarder kit, but not vice-versa.

Snorkelman, thanks for the info! Now I just need to either buy an engraver or have the serial engraved somewhere.

as an alternative to engraving bear in mind you should be able to pick up cold steel number stamps for around 7 euros a set in each size

few photos of the top cover lock and cocking handle in case anyone wants to mod those

coverlock.jpg

cover lock side on view

coverlockrear.jpg

cover lock rear view

cockinglevertopdown.jpg

cocking handle top down view

cockingleverfromrear.jpg

cokcing handle viewed from rear

stevie

Quick question for anyone with an AK47 and a 74 or newer...is the trigger guard on the one-piece grip guns different from the AK47 type? I'm still in the process of getting my AK47 converted to an AK74M/AK103, and the trigger guard is loose at the rear since I had to remove the grip extension on the bottom of the receiver.

So the real 74's use one with a longer tang at the rear?

yepson mine the rear of the guard travels all the way down with a bend at the bottom and pinned by a single rivet

triggerguard.jpg

if the real one you get is same as that then you'ld need to trim the part that bends towards the back off and probably trim the rear part of the guard too, so you end up with something a bit longer than the marui one but not quite as long as the original length of the real one (otherwise it'll snag the gearbox)

stevie

Thanks for the heads up snorkleman. I was just looking at those on K-Var's site and wondering how it will line up with the openings on the bottom of the receiver. It may be possible to bend the tip where the rivet is fixed around the opening for the gearbox to make it more solid. A bit of JB Weld and call it done. Or I may just make up a U-shaped spacer out of scrap metal and stick it in cut on the pistol grip to keep the Marui part from moving.

I'm thinking hard about one of these now...

Rear sight

Edited by exoframe2

yeh after i took the photo i looked atthe guarder/amarui set up and a little L shaped block set into the guarder grip to take up the play in the marui part would probably be easiest (paint it black or dark brown and it would be unnoticeable and it wont affect the trigger travel as the trigger is fully back with plenty of room to spare)

the windage type bulgarian sight is neat wouldnt mind one of those meself :)

stevie

yeh after i took the photo i looked atthe guarder/amarui set up and a little  L shaped block set into the guarder grip to take up the play in the marui part would probably be easiest (paint it black or dark brown and it would be unnoticeable and it wont affect the trigger travel as the trigger is fully back with plenty of room to spare)

the windage type bulgarian sight is neat wouldnt mind one of those meself :)

stevie

That'll be a project for me tomorrow. I'll post a quick photo when I have one made up.

My wood kit, mteal body and launcher just came through today..... :D

Pics when I figure out how to slap it all together!!!

personally i like to stick em together quickly and loosely as a dry build (nothing fully tightened etc)

Helps spot any awkward bits without finding somethings been tightened down just a little too much to take a step or two back and fix, and helps working out best route for wiring etc.

if its your first build then a digi camera taking loads of shots of the donor marui as you strip it apart always help too

stevie