personally i like to stick em together quickly and loosely as a dry build (nothing fully tightened etc)

Helps spot any awkward bits without finding somethings been tightened down just a little too much to take a step or two back and fix, and helps working out best route for wiring etc.

if its your first build then a digi camera taking loads of shots of the donor marui as you strip it apart always help too

stevie

Cheers for the advice!!

Yep, this will be my first build so will be sure to take picks as I go along so I know whats happening!!

Can't seem to figure out how to take the front section off the main receiver (got the outer barrel out and thats as far as I got...) :(

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally I did it, with help and advice from Snorkelman!!!! Cheers dude!!! :D

Here goes:

DSCF0014.jpg

Basically it's more or less a G&P AK!!

Tokyo Marui AK47S

G&P AK47 Metal Receiver

G&P Wood Conversion Kit

G&P GP25 Launcher

Edit: typo

Edited by 1647

Weight with the launcher on is not that bad, I find it better that an Armalite with and M203 on...

I think this is mt favourite now, but will need to get some new parts for it.... such as Selector switch and Receiver cover as the current ones stand out like a sore thumb!!!!

Any of you guys have any advice on bits and bobs to get??

I'm still waiting on my receiver to show up to finish my project gun. Rather than shell out the cash for a selector switch, gas tube lock lever, front sight and gas tube, I just pulled mine off, sanded them, and sprayed them with a few coats of Krylon Camo Black. It gives a very nice flat finish that blends with my metal parts almost perfectly.

Other metal bits I'm using are the G&P metal front set, and the Guarder ribbed top cover.

Edited by exoframe2
Weight with the launcher on is not that bad, I find it better that an Armalite with and M203 on...

I think this is mt favourite now, but will need to get some new parts for it.... such as Selector switch and Receiver cover as the current ones stand out like a sore thumb!!!!

Any of you guys have any advice on bits and bobs to get??

as exo says try painting the existing ones (or see if you can find a powder coating place locally that can do them in a black finish that matches the receiver - powder coating is pretty tough stuff when it comes to dings and scratches and shouldnt be too expensive to get done)

If you're gonna ditch them for replacement ones anyway then theres nothing to lose by having a bash (plus any replacements would probably need painted anyway to get a close match)

as far as add-ons go cant think of any (maybe a real steel rear sight?)

stevie

New update to my project. Full metal now!

Parts breakdown so far:

TM AK47

CA SLR105 receiver, stock and grips

RS AK74-type flash hider

RS sling

Guarder steel bolt carrier and ribbed receiver cover

G&P metal front set

Parts left to arrive:

RS windage adjustable AK74 rear sight (0-1000m)

RS cleaning rod

Replacement screw cap for selector switch

Work left to do:

Bondo/paint over CA trademarks

Engrave/stamp factory stamping on the left side of receiver

I cut the Guarder bolt carrier 'tail' a bit to let it pull back further. It needs a shorter spring to pull back fully. The white twist-tie keeps the guide rod from rotating upward and letting the carrier get out of alignment. I painted the TM front sight, gas tube and gas tube lock lever (the lever on the rear sight block). I'll pull off and paint the trigger guard when I take it apart to install the new sight.

AK103L.jpg

AK103R.jpg

AK103close1.jpg

AK103close2.jpg

And here's my rigged up bolt carrier/gas tube. It makes a sweet sound when that pipe smacks into the metal gas tube. The spring is a cut down TM stock spring. I had used a piece as a spacer in my Dong San SPAS12 upgrade. I had a broken V3 spring guide, so I stuck that in the rear.

AKbolt.jpg

Here's a sound clip of me racking the bolt and firing, about 10 feet away.

Sound clip

And two video clips of the bolt. My phone will record sound and video, but they both come out rather crappy, while my camera records decent video but has no microphone.

Bolt - Phone version

Bolt - Camera version

Edited by exoframe2

Alright, new links. Shouldn't hit the bandwidth limit now.

Sound clip

Bolt (camera version, no sound)

Bolt (phone version, lower quality w/ sound)

Looks great, Secondgen. All I would do is paint the silencer and receiver flat black so they don't stand out as much.

Edited by exoframe2
Looks great, Secondgen. All I would do is paint the silencer and receiver flat black so they don't stand out as much.

I would, but:

1. I'm not really for painting things, not that i can't paint, it's just not my style and if i were to color-match everything, it'd get powdercoated.

2. I really like the matte finish the suppressor has on it.

I looked at a few different silencer set-ups and this is the one i liked and seemed to fit the gun the most, short of a PBS-1, which i can't, for the life of me find anywhere.

My next step is to buy a real AK or SKS flashhider. I've been trying for days to locate a 14mm-1 CCW tap and die so i can make my own silencer at work but they don't seem to exist.

I use the same silencer on my MKII Assassin pistol, so I tried it out on my AK. Mine's just painted with Krylon flat and sanded between coats.

aksilencer1.jpg

aksilencer2.jpg

Some people don't like silencers on AK's, but I think the plain can-type silencers don't look out of place.

Comparing a TM trigger guard to a Bulgarian AK47 part, for anyone interested. It will be on the way to you tomorrow, Carbine :)

triggerguards1.jpg

triggerguards2.jpg

triggerguards3.jpg

I got my new rear sight. Once the paint dries I'll have the gun together and take a photo. The steel-gray color clashed too much with the black finish of my AK, so I had to repaint it. Did the trigger guard while I was at it.

I don't have my usual camera with me so I tried with a cell phone one. I just couldn't wait any longer to get pics of my AIM, thanks to deepsix for selling me this beautiful piece. I had another camera but the batteries were messed up, so it only gave me 5 seconds to take a picture. That's where the tripod comes from.

aim.jpg

Edited by thegunrunner

Finally, the last part for a while :D Adjustable Bulgarian RPK-type sight. Repainted it black and detailed the numerals and tick marks red as it came. Decided to put red in the selector switch marks as well. You can see I've been playing with it quite a bit. I got the metal body installed on Tuesday night, and it's already got a well-worn AK line.

AKsight1.jpg

AKsight2.jpg