• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wood wood woooood  :P

Whoever guesses the manufacturer of the wood gets a free cookie  ;)

Niiiice! Let's see now... there's a tensioning spring between the lower handguard and the receiver. Russian AK-74 wood? From Izhevsk? Definitely looks like real steel plywood furniture - it has the right layout of plywood layers...

I'd say it's the later kind, no paired vent ports, and a long finger groove instead. Don't torture us, tell us what it is :)

Edited by jonboy2312

Ding ding ding.. winner!

DSC03461.jpg

Soviet handguards from FSU/Rusmilitary, stock came from a private seller on this board (also a soviet stock btw)..

Oh, the upper handguard is vented :)

The stock took a lot of dremeling obviously, like cutting out room for the lower tang, handguards were easier..

Just got to dye the grip now (Dark red), I've got some Ak-74 (Izhevsk) mags here which will be converted to airsoft and my project will be done as far as I'm concerned..

Oh and after the summer I'm having the odd G&G thread rethreaded to 14mm, then I will get an adapter from 14 > 24mm and I will install a correct ZigZag muzzlebrake ;)

Woohoo! I got it right! :D

That's one SEXY rifle you've got there... I absolutely love it! I love how G&G AKs disassemble like the real deal. I'm actually thinking of throwing a real gas block, gas tube and gas tube retainer onto mine - it shouldn't be difficult, but there's no way I could replicate that lovely bolt, piston and bolt spring system... G&G did some awesome work in the realism department.

And you took it yet miles further. I'm drooling over it here...

Okay, some more pics from me, as I've just completed yet another phase of my AkS-47 to AKMSN conversion.

dsc0176a4yq.jpg

I've moved the front sling mount to the front of the lower handguard where it belongs, and I've ground the back of the gas block to a more appropriate, slimmer AKM-style shape. There's not much I can do about the missing bayonet lug, though. Eventually, I'll just throw a real gas block and gas tube on...

dsc0178a2xa.jpg

dsc0177a0ni.jpg

The ribbed receiver cover arrived this morning, I'm currently working on making it a bit longer. I'm still waiting for the new flash hider, once I have that - I'll finally be able to install the slim AKM-type sight post, as the fat, blocky classic AK sight post kinda ruins the more modern look I'm after (let alone being completely incorrect for an AKM/AKMS/AMSN replica!).

The next phase will be done on wednesday, and I'll be sure to post a few more pics :)

That's looking very nice, nice job on  the body as well :) Are PMKMS parts hard to find there?

Almost as easy as shopping for milk :)

The best place to look is on Allegro, our local Ebay clone. This is the "weapon parts" category: http://www.allegro.pl/9200_czesci_broni.ht...er=t&view=gtext

Prices are in Polish zlotys, I'm not sure about the current exchange rates but it used to be anywhere between 3:1 and 4:1 to Euro. Sometimes all it takes is to ASK someone selling AK parts what else do they have - and usually they have what you seek. The hottest item out there right now is the Weaver rail for the M96 Beryl rifle (our current 5.56 AK variant). Right here: http://www.allegro.pl/item112861225_szyna_..._do_beryla.html

So it's not that hard... al it takes is a bit of imagination and a small sum of money at your disposal. M96 parts are rare and cost a lot, but AK/AKM stuff is dirt cheap, and usually there's several AK-related items showing up for sale over one week.

Almost as easy as shopping for milk :)

The best place to look is on Allegro, our local Ebay clone. This is the "weapon parts" category: http://www.allegro.pl/9200_czesci_broni.ht...er=t&view=gtext

Prices are in Polish zlotys, I'm not sure about the current exchange rates but it used to be anywhere between 3:1 and 4:1 to Euro. Sometimes all it takes is to ASK someone selling AK parts what else do they have - and usually they have what you seek. The hottest item out there right now is the Weaver rail for the M96 Beryl rifle (our current 5.56 AK variant). Right here: http://www.allegro.pl/item112861225_szyna_..._do_beryla.html

So it's not that hard... al it takes is a bit of imagination and a small sum of money at your disposal. M96 parts are rare and cost a lot, but AK/AKM stuff is dirt cheap, and usually there's several AK-related items showing up for sale over one week.

I need to spend some time working out how to use that site, real steel PBS-1 for £17 ? I guess it's illegal to import though. :(

I need to spend some time working out how to use that site, real steel PBS-1 for £17 ? I guess it's illegal to import though. :(

if it's the one I'm thinking about - it's a replica. A damn good one, though... Or a hollowed real silencer (obviously, no more than a dummy now).

There are also AK-74 bipods there, no more than $10 each. http://www.allegro.pl/item112673553_nuszki...ntala_nowe.html - they come from M88 Tantal rifle kits, pulled out of service when we joined NATO (and thus dumped 5.45 ammo and Tantals along with it). M-88 is basically a modified AK-74 with a german-style sidefolding stock, longer barrel (or a really elaborate muzzle device) and a freakin' three-round burst mechanism (with an additional swith on the left, placed like the one on an M-16)

Edited by jonboy2312

Yet another stage of my conversion completed!

dsc0002a8co.jpg

I've installed the real-steel AKM receiver cover. A word of warning to those who think about doing it as well - IT'S HELL. the RS cover is too short by half a centimeter, I had to solder an extension under the front part that would protrude by about 5 milimeters, then add yet another layer of metal over it to make it more or less even with the rest. I should still apply some filler there, but I was anxious to assemble it and shoot some photos. The one below shows just how much of an extension I had to make:

dsc0005a5ts.jpg

However, two other problems arise... First, the only real way to make the cover longer is to add an extension to the front. The problem is, the airsoft receiver is longer in the REAR. What you get is a gap behind the selector lever and a somewhat oversized ejector window:

dsc0004a2rq.jpg

The second problem is that the new cover is TIGHT. The fake bolt carrier has no room to move freely, and I'm seriously considering removing the plastic "floor" over the mechbox - I'm hoping that this will give the bolt carrier more freedom - I just hope it won't wobble too much.

All things considered, though... I think it doesn't look bad :) And hey, it's authentic.

dsc0009a0tj.jpg

Would I go for a real steel cover again? If only the airsoft version was available here in Poland... I guess no. It's not easy to get it to fit, it leaves gaps (unless you make that extra effort and make extensions there as well), it's very tight and practically forces you to grind the bolt carier down (or to make your own), and last but not least, if you're hoping it will give your gun some extra weight - you'll be disappointed... It's a LOT lighter than the airsoft cover.

Airsoft metal parts are supposed to ADD weight. AKM parts were designed with WEIGHT REDUCTION in mind - it was one of the primary reasons they made that upgrade in the first place.

Still, I'm happy with the result. All that remains now is to install the proper front sight post and FINALLY make it a proper AKMS, and then the optics mount on the left side of the receiver and the long flash hider, to make it an AKMSN - which is exactly what I want :)

Edited by jonboy2312

damn i love this thread, AK so great to look at

im getting a vfc aks-74un and converting it to aks-74ub, ill post some pictures here when its ready

i especially like jonboy's ak, nice work with the real steel parts

also admire the people who have applied weathering, they look sweeet

although flipsnip's pristine one is nice to look at too :D

Got my CYMA today, pretty impressed for the amount it cost. i really like the faux wood, although i've stuck a AK74M set of grips on it just to see what it looks like.

AK74ish_original.jpg

I've also swapped out some of the parts that i had TM ones spare lying about, as i preffer the finish of the TM bits.

I gave it;

TM front end

KA Grips

TM Hop unit

TN 6.04mm barrel

TM upper receiver

TM Bolt (sprayed black)

But i think i'm going to go back to the CYMA wood, just so i finally have a realistic AK rather than the mongrols i normally use :P

AK47s_original.jpg