• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, the G&P wood kit looks out of proportion...

So I'm not the only one... Just about every picture of G&P or King Arms wood kits seems od to me. The pistol grips are too thick at the top and have an odd shape, and the stock shape and proportion seems all wrong to me...

With the nice finish, they would make great furniture for civilian AK incarnations, but those kits look nothing like the wood or plywood found on military AKs...

Can't say that I don't like the effect, though. Those wood kits remind me of the fancy, expensive wood on Saddam's gold-plated AK carbine :)

where do the kits look out of porportion ?

i know nothing about real ak spec. here is my Ak with the KA wood kit on. it does its job as far as im concerned. i do find the pistol grip quite chunky, but i didnt know if thats just "how it is".

DSCN2505smaller.jpg

DSCN2506smaller.jpg

DSCN2507smaller.jpg

DSCN2508smaller.jpg

DSCN2509smaller.jpg

DSCN2510smaller.jpg

as you can see the sun came out for some pics lol, making the bare metal extra shiny. :huh:

Screamin' Weasel, your AK indeed does look nice! I like the color of the wood kit on your particular specimen. It looks really good.

What bugs me about those G&P and KA kits is the shape of the stock, first of all, and the pistol grip. Here's a quick doodle that shows (in red) where they went wrong...

woodkit5co.jpg

Basically, the underside shouldn't be curved, the break in the upper outline is too smooth and too close to the receiver, and the pistol grip lacks the angle that just about *defines* an AK pistol grip, giving it that distinctive shape (regardless if it's wood, plywood or polymer - they all share the same distinctive shape). I could get over the different finish (as yours looks really good in that department!), but I just don't get the shape - it literally strikes me every time.

Here's a real steel early AK stock for comparison: http://www.allegro.pl/item114343245_kolba_kbk_ak.html

The foregrips, though, are pretty good in the G&P/KA kits. Still, the wood texture seems off. The plywood version (very late production, just before AKM) looks like this: http://www.allegro.pl/item113525968_ak_47_nakladki.html while the early solid wood version looks like this: http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0171a9ii.jpg

Hollowing out a real stock would be a pain... So if I had a fixed stock AK, I'd check right away if the G&P/KA stock can be shaved down to the right shape... The only reason for its odd shape I can think of is that they wanted thicker walls around the battery compartment for strenght, as even the original plastic stock was rather tight...

Either way, it's one good lookin' rifle you've got there :)

Mc Duck, that is absolutely wonderful!!! I really envy you the proper AKMS stock and the stamped metal body... I'm trying to create an AKMS (actually, an AKMSN) but there is really now way I could get a body like that (sure, I'll eventually get the stock, it's not that hard).

The only way I can think of is snag a real gun and gut it out... Horosha rabota! :D

Edited by jonboy2312

ahh i see the pistol grip difference easily now - i can imagine its mroe comfy with the real steel outline - liek i said i find the 'wrong' pistol grip quite chunky.

i also see the upper stock difference, though the bottom of the stock the difference is less obvious. still, im nto a geardo or oen fo these guys who needs his gun 100% correct, so it bothers me not. i brought it because it was the cheapest kit lol. that whole TM AK, with the wood kit and metal body cost me 130 GBP.

The foregrips, though, are pretty good in the G&P/KA kits. Still, the wood texture seems off. The plywood version (very late production, just before AKM) looks like this: http://www.allegro.pl/item113525968_ak_47_nakladki.html while the early solid wood version looks like this: http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0171a9ii.jpg

Hollowing out a real stock would be a pain... So if I had a fixed stock AK, I'd check right away if the G&P/KA stock can be shaved down to the right shape... The only reason for its odd shape I can think of is that they wanted thicker walls around the battery compartment for strenght, as even the original plastic stock was rather tight...

Either way, it's one good lookin' rifle you've got there :)

Actually all Russian Type-3 Ak-47's (The TM Ak-47 is a Type-3) use laminated furniture, the Type-1 and Type-2 had solid wooden furniture.

Hollowing out the stock isn't that bad.. atleast if it has space allready for a cleaning kit. On my Ak-74 I just had to remove a small bit extra and now a 1400 mAH Intellect mini fits in there, along with firing (even got the fuse in there :D)

BTW... how is the unifom doing ;)