• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was going to start a seperate thread, but im looking for some pictures of some HEAVILY beaten AK's, be they real or not.

as soona s the wood and metal gets in my front door, im off to the garage to batter it. i want my AK to look like it was the first one ever made.

i have done the usual google search, and came up with nothign suitable. there was one reall really battered AK, but it was too much for even me. the damn thing looked like it had never been painted lol.

cheers

I heavilly suggest having a good look about on the pics of your gun threads, here ;)

aahhh, cheers dude.

with me not being an AK fanboy, red alliance is not somthing i knew particuarly much about.

edit - well i just had a look through both of the picture threads, and found NOTHING that looked anywhere near how i want my AK to look.

i have come to the conclusion that AK fanboys spend so much money on their guarder kits, they daren't let them get battered and beaten.

so it looks like im leading a revolution in buying wood and metal and instantly beating the *beep* out of it then.

i really need pics though to see where i can put wear so it looks realistic, and not like some prat has just scratched his AK and beaten it up randomly.

Edited by screamin_weasel

some of the best pics i have seen there.cheers dude. it would seem though that my perfect pic of a battered AK just doesn't exist.

it looks like it is generally just going to be taking paint off all teh raised edges, with some other scratches, lots of wear at the muzzle end. the msot i have seen is at the muzzle end of the gas tube, they seem to get really caned.

as for the wood, i'll just put some wear in where i hold the gun, perhaps muddy the wood up a bit aswell.

DuoFinal.jpg

Here's my AK 'pistol' as it transitions into an AKSU.

Current external configuration:

-Marui AKS receiver, modified and refinished to match gun

-Matrix AK front trunnion, modified

-Marui receiver cover, with Marui sights and Marui front gas block

-Guarder AKM/AK74 Steel Bolt

-Guarder AKS74U pistol grip (marble texture)

-Russian laminate foregrips

-Custom made lower retainer ring

-Marui trigger guard w/ real-steel mag catch/spring

-Custom night sights

-Modified Marui selector into AKM/AK74 style

-Functional hinge at rear sight/trunnion junction (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/TheManWithThePlasticMag/AKS74U%20Project/AKBSSight.jpg)

Completely rehauled internals, including:

-Tanio Koba barrel (285mm)

-Modified plastic hopup chamber (reinforced)

-Custom hopup packing (50% harder than Marui)

-Kurage Firefly V-Notch hopup rubber (soft type)

-Prometheus MS110 spring

-Deepfire piston/pistonhead

-Systema standard ratio sector and spur gear

-Marui 4-stop standard ratio bevel gear

-Systema spring set

-Area1000 tappet plate

-Area1000 brass spring guide

-??? Teflon Cylinder

-??? Cylinderhead

-KM metal nozzle

-Custom low-resistance wiring

The magazine pictured is an RPK74 45-rounds style magazine, as is usually seen in combat by Russian special forces (they prefer the higher ammo capacity) and was custom made by me. It has STAR internals and holds ~675 rounds. Another one is currently being made that holds ~820 rounds.

Finally, I use G&P and STAR midcaps for the gun, and I prefer the G&P midcaps.

Improvements to follow include:

-Custom metal front trunnion

-G&P metal receiver, extensively modified and fitted with a REAL Russian AKSU sidefolder/mechanism

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/TheManWithThePlasticMag/AKS74U%20Project/Rivets.jpg)

Not pictured are:

-PBS1 silencer (I want a PBS5)

-SWATFORCE tactical light w/ under-barrel mount (usually clamped to flash hider)

-First Factory tactical AK magazine release

That looks awesome Plasticmag. The RS flag is a nice touch.

I just finished building my AKM, and that kit is so bad. I had to shave off about 1mm of the diameter of the barrel to make it fit, along with modifying the grips to fit correctly. I'll have pictures in a bit.

Haha, thanks - hopefully next time you see that flag there'll be a Zastava M72A1 sitting in front of it...

Looking forward to the AKM pictures! Is it the economy kit?

Well unfortunately, my digital camera is in Taiwan, and I don't want to risk taking a picture of this thing and taking it to someone for developing.

Anyways, this one is a 2004 edition one, comes with wood furniture. I was tempted to buy the economy, but I didn't know if real wood stocks would fit on it, meanwhile someone gave me a great price on this one, $480 shipped brand new.

However, the build quality of this is poor, and the fitting is even worse. Everything fits very tightly, so much that I'm afraid I'll damage the parts. The barrel was too big and had to be shaved down about 1mm. The pin that holds the compensator won't fit correctly. The chunk of wood that holds the lower handguard into the receiver was not wide enough while it was too tall in height. So many problems... I'll write a full review when I get the camera back.

But when it was done, I love the result. I want to use it with my Southeast Asian guerilla loadouts. Maybe some time I'll get a Hero Arms drum and play as a robber in CQB games.

Overall verdict: 6.5/10

I guess this was a very early production kit, as my AKS74 went together smoothly, and I never had to modify a single thing.

Being able to complete this kit did give me more confidence in my next custom AK project, some type of Yugoslav AK.

Edited by thegunrunner

Damn! That sucks!

I'm building a Zastava M70A1 now - got the foregrips made, got the metal body being prettied up now (staying with the milled style seen in the late great unpleasantness, but re-engraving it), got the stock mostly done. I converted a Guarder pistol grip to look correct, and tomorrow I'm making the grenade sight to go on the gas tube.

Then I need a second AK AEG and I'm set!

The cleaning rod gets scratched really easily.

Fugazi, what you have there will make a nice looking gun. I think you have the later type AKM muzzle by Guarder, seems like it has some type of coating on it. The one that came with my AKM kit has it too, but one I bought seperately a long time ago looks like it doesn't have it.

Plasticmag, be sure to show off the M70 when finished. I am hoping to start one soon, every time in the past I've wanted to do one, I get drawn away to a Guarder kit. Mine will be the version with the milled receiver, using parts from a real parts kit.

For those of you who don't know what an M70 looks like, here's a picture of it in action.

m70battle.jpg

Edited by thegunrunner