• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oddly enough the actual casting of front block, sight block and bolt etc I actually quite like (though id lose the too glossy finish applied to them) The ones on the guarder version are super-finished with a lot of time put into them (like gun show standard), while the real ones are rough as a badgers *albartroth* lol. So the VFC ones kinda sit in between the two extremes

Thats just me being anal though, we restore bikes and can spend hours trying to keep things like the original casting marks on crankcases, carbs etc when cleaning them up :)

Anyway enough on those, spill the beans, what bits you got coming for the AKs? :)

stevie

I bought a real Soviet handguard set with the half-moon cuts, cleaning rod, and canvas sling for the AKS-74. I'm hoping to build a replica of a gun used in Afghanistan in the early 80's. Perhaps I'll change the stock out too, to a real one without the ribs on the back, as that's usually only seen on AKS-74U and Bulgarian AK. The guy in Russia told me 8-12 weeks for shipping on those parts though.

Meanwhile for the AKM, I'm getting a mix of Polish and Romanian furniture to install on it. I already beat the finish up on the gun, then refinished, and beat again. Hopefully I can use it for a Chechnya or Bosnian War loadout.

Now it is the hard part deciding whether to get the VFC Krinkov, Atoz SVD, or Guarder AK-103 this week. It's spring break and I want to play with some guns.

Looks great, like my old gun. Try this: stick electrical tape on the protrusion on the back of the lower handguards until it fits tightly when you slide it into the receiver. This way you don't need to wrap tape around.

If you need a brown grip, paint the one you have or talk to me when I'm in Taiwan. Combat Depot I remember sells them too, but I can get it for you cheaper. <_<

Meanwhile, my AKM is not doing well. I found out I need to wire it to the front or else I'll have to hollow out the real buttstock in order to have it accept a battery. Rather than doing that, I think I'm going to do something else, like buy another conversion kit for this set of parts.

Edited by thegunrunner
Looks great, like my old gun. Try this: stick electrical tape on the protrusion on the back of the lower handguards until it fits tightly when you slide it into the receiver. This way you don't need to wrap tape around.

Ah! Just did it and it's rock solid now. Also put some around the inside of the stock so it doesn't wobble up and down anymore.