KWA KM4A1 Carbine detailed review.

I come back from being dead in these forums to find one of my reviews on page 1. Woot. :)

But seriously, I'm away from all my guns right now(internship), and I'm getting back into the airsofting fray come june, so I will probably re-review all of my guns/stuff with more current and wise opinions. About 8 months after I got this KWA, the piston went, and pieces fell into the gears, taking them with it. I believe this was happening on a few KWAs. They resolved the problem with a newer stronger piston I believe. My KWA now has prommy torque up gears, and a titanium teeth piston. I also downgraded from a 11.1v lipo to a 7.4. It still has a very good rate of fire, and I havent had any problems since.

Btw, my KWA looks WAYYYY different now than it does in the review pics. Here it what it currently looks like:

KWAFINAL3.jpg

Edited by CSC Maverick
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, My MadBull piston went to all hell. It is the one with 7 metal teeth up front and all but 4 of them stripped clean off. they just collapsed into the piston. I could almost not even get the spring out. The piston head also disconnected from the piston and turned 180 degrees. Besides all that, the rest of it was fine. The piston gave away after one half day of airsofting and then two games with minimal fire on the stock spring(which is not an M120 as commercialized) and a 9.6v battery.

I will go ahead and add in these parts:

-Piston

-Piston Head

-Cylinder

-Cylinder Head

-M120 Spring

I'll also rewire it to the rear and add deans connectors and run with an 11.1v Lipo battery. Just like I had planned before. Hopefully it will run smoothly after that nice makeover, and not break on me again!

When I get it all fixed up I'll use it for a day and report back, then keep you all updated on its performance.

• 1 month later...

kinda necro here, but

Make sure you got all heavy duty parts with the 11.1 li-po. The KWA's rof is insane with that battery, but it also murder on the internals. Imo with my 7.4v, i still get great trigger response and a good rof.

Edited by CSC Maverick

I've got everything squared away with the internals. I was going to use it for two more days of play and post up my results, I've now used it three full days of play.

I haven't had any problems with anything breaking yet, it's going strong.

Though there are other problems that I need fixed. First, the hop-up, the *suitcasey* two-piece design is leaking air like crazy, it would also help to get a polymer air nozzle, and not the stock metal one as it will wear on the cylinder head when moving back and forth.

My plans are to throw out the hop-up for a King Arms one-piece. Everyone I play with, including my tech all have the King Arms and they love it, and I can see why. They use it in conjunction with a MadBull Blue bucking, but I'm still thinking that I would like to get a new FireFly H-Bucking.

Here's where the real big problem comes in, I will need a new receiver set to be able to be able to install a one-piece hop-up, unless anyone has a guide to modify the upper to be strong enough. The lower could be modified to work easily, the upper would need the tangs removes and add two flaps or lugs to insert into the back of the lower, which would be a pain to get it to be strong. If no one knows a way then I'll have to buy a new receiver <_< and I think that I might need a new outer barrel, if not it would still be nice to get a one-piece barrel. What is with KWA and two-piece parts???

I will need my M4 for travel this summer and need it fixed up by then so any ideas would be appreciated.

Since my upgrades, it should have shot at least 400FPS with .20g BB's. I chrono'd it last weekend and it came out at an average of 365FPS with .20g BB's. The compression of the cylinder is very, very good. There are literally no air leaks through the cylinder, so it has to be the hop-up:angry:

Also, the motor feels kind of weak after so much use. It shoots fast as hell, not over 1000RPM but really fast still! But like I said, the motor sounds like it's had it's day and is struggling to keep up. My tech uses a G&P motor of some kind, and his guns are strong, I might change to one of those motors.

Besides that, it's good, really good.

-Moose-

Are you talking about the 1st version?

I have the most recent version of a KWA KM 16 SR12 and I get 366 FPS with a MS 90 spring, after I've switched the stock cylinder to a full cylinder. So it's very, very efficient.

And as far as I know, the hopup is one piece... can you explain a two piece hopup system?

Yes, I have the 1st generation KWA M4.

The two-piece hop-up means that the tube that feeds the BB's into the hop-up is a seperate part from the hop-up chamber. In a one-piece, the feeding tube and the chamber would be one singe unit, and on a KWA, it is not. The KWA uses the Tokyo Marui design hop-up. Another problem with the stock KWA hop-up, and I'm sure I've posted this before, is that it is extremely picky over which bucking will fit, it is the tightest hop-up I have ever had to deal with, so switching it to an aftermarket unit(KA, Systema, MadBull, etc.) would open a door to a wide range of buckings that will fit.

I have the M4 type cylinder, in which there is a hole in the back to let out some air when the piston is moving through it, just like the stock cylinders hole but a bit further towards the rear.

Update:

I used it today again, no problem with anything. It shot smoothly but I still need to fix the air-seal problem with the hop-up but other than that it shot pretty straight and still very well.

I wish that I could've shot more with it, I only shot about 90 BB's the entire day! I load about 90 BB's in one midcap and I carry about 7-8. So next weekend I'll head over to Desert Fox MOUT field, hopefully, and this is the beast I'm bringing along. I'm expecting good results and I'm also expecting a lot of rounds being fired so I'll update this after that.

Edited by -MOOSE-

Please do. I have the 2nd gen but I am still very interested. I wonder if I could buy a GX2 gearbox and place it into a VFC M4. It it sompletely V2 compatible?

Also, I do have an idea about the 2 piece hopup. I thought that was the only M4 hopup type that existed. Could you replace it with the Madbull ultimate hopup?

( I am thinking of building a KWA KM4 SR5 with a tracer unit build in. If thats not possible, a VFC BabyM4 with tracerunit and GX2 gearbox. :) )

You should be able to put a KWA GX2 gearbox into a VFC body, however, you would need a one-piece hop-up, like the MadBull you wanted to use.

Though, you do have to buy a new receiver set to fit a one-piece hop-up for the KWA AEG, the body is not compatible.

So to make the MadBull unit fit in a KWA, you have to replace the receiver, I know it's a pain to have to buy a new one but modifying the current receiver will not be able to withstand possible force that may be put on the receiver in case you fall or drop the gun. Also, one of my friends has been using the MadBull hop-up units and he commonted on how the BB's would jam(he used a MadBull Blue bucking). You might want to check out some reviews to get other opinions before you buy a new unit.