UTG L96(Mk96) detailed review

UTGsniper3.jpg

This is what it comes with:

Bipod

2 mags

cleaning rod

allen wrenches

sling( i can tell this sucks, it looks like it cant even hold a feather)

instructions

speed loader

LOOKS:

1st off this an ACU(Army Combat Uniform) paint pattern. This pattern came out extremely well. However, there are a lot of allen wrench screws that stick out like sore thumbs all over the gun. Here is a size comparison compared to my G36C:

GUNZ.jpg

Here is the gun with my scope on the top RIS rail. I bought the Scope from Cool Stuff(its the local area airsoft store)

UTGScopedSniper4.jpg

you get the gun it will be in two parts: The body and the barrel/trigger. Slide the Barrel/trigger into the body(its easy to see how). Once it is in, use the large allen wrench and screw the two built in screws tight:

d8.jpg

CONSTRUCTION: Most of the Barrel/Trigger assembly is metal. The trigger house is plastic however. The body is all plastic. An issue with it I have, however, is that it looks like the body was slapped together in 2 seconds. Look at the picture of the screws again. Down the centerline on the bottom of the gun The seam is clear as day. This Plastic gets scratched and chipped very easily as well.

FUNCTIONS/OPERATION:The bipod is an ris bipod, so you can use it on other guns. Also, the adapter goes into the gun like this:

d7.jpg

Don't ask me why they put 2 ris rails on the sides of the adapter....kinda useless. I have heard many complaints that the bipod sucks. I do not agree. It is only shaky because of the adapter. Any bipod you buy will shake. Also, the stock bipod is sturdy. The only problem is it is kind of annoying to adjust the leg size.

The Hopup is located next to where the magazine goes:

d9.jpg

This is one of the drawbacks of this gun. You need to use your small allen wrench from the kit(or any allen wrench of that size) to adjust the hop-up, so dont expect any combat adjusting. Once you get the hopup where you want it however, you'll rarely need to touch it.

The magazines hold about 25bbs. You load either one at a time, or with the speedloader. You have to hold the mag like this when speedloading:

d2.jpg

Otherwise, you'll have bbs all over the place. A nice thing about the mags is the fact that they automatically pop out when you hit the mag release.

The cheek rest is adjustable via allen wrench. I dont have it on mine, since it gets in the way of my mask. The buttstock can come off:

d5.jpg

There ARE threads on this Gun: There are located under this lid:

d6.jpg

They are inside threads, so you need an adapter to mount your silencers.

I have to point out this is a very HEAVY gun. I believe it is 12Lbs with bipod and scope on it. I dont mind the weight, but for the smaller players out there it could be a problem.

FIRING: 1st off, I use .30bbs. Your results WILL vary if you use a different weight. The UTG L96 is a rocket, chronoing around 470fps with .20s.

It also has a stock tightbore barrel.

When you get your gun and scope, take your time and SIGHT IT IN. Get the hopup just right, and the scope adjusted to your preference. This will save you a lot of aggrevation, cause you wont really need to toy with them again, If you dont sight in you gun properly, I wish you luck in trying to hit anything.

With my gun, I have had very good results. I consistently hit a tree about 150ft away that I use for practice. In the 1 game ive used this in so far, I have had 2 100-150ft shots, and hit the 1st time. Also I had a ~60-100ft shot, but I hit the guy as he was hiding behind a tree and only his elbow was sticking out.

d1.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFO: This gun will accept Maruzen parts, so its a good platform for upgrades. The stocksling sucks(the sling in the pic is my own). Price is $130. Scope was ~$70 Total=~$200

PRO/CON LIST:

PROS:

470 fps.

Accurate, can reach out and touch someone

$130 price tag, and you get everything that comes in the 1st picture.

detailed ACU pattern

IS compatable with MaruzenParts

Spring powered, so its reliable

Simple, all you need is an allen wrench

CONS:

Heavy

Mags can be a pain to load at times

Looks like the body was just slapped together

Hopup needs allen wrench

Bi-pod isnt the best, but its OK

Sling sucks

You need an adapter if you want a silencer

Overall, I give this gun a 9/10. The performance is definately 10/10. The thing that bring this down is that UTG could of made the construction look a lot smoother. Seriously consider this gun if you want a sniper! Any questions Pm me.

• 1 year later...

I have this gun and I just think its horrible... The seams are huge and uncomfortable on hands, the paint it comes with is horrible and plasticy shiny, it has lots of problems such as when you cock it the cocking handle whacks forward powered by the spring obviously, and doesn't load the next bb, I have fixed this problems but its recurring, and it generaly just doesn't perform that well... I have used it maybe twice and thats it, a waste of £100 when with £100 more I could have a great gun that I would still be using...

I have this gun and I just think its horrible... The seams are huge and uncomfortable on hands, the paint it comes with is horrible and plasticy shiny, it has lots of problems such as when you cock it the cocking handle whacks forward powered by the spring obviously, and doesn't load the next bb, I have fixed this problems but its recurring, and it generaly just doesn't perform that well... I have used it maybe twice and thats it, a waste of £100 when with £100 more I could have a great gun that I would still be using...

The bolt on my gun works just fine, and it feeds every single bb from the magazine. I actually thought that cocking the gun would be more difficult than it was.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the warrior version of the L96 but it sounds like a pretty similar version. After i zeroed it in i was getting groupings of about 2 inches at about 50m but that took a good day of zeroing but was without any mods. This is by far the best rifle out on the field!! The accuracy far out weighs the rate of fire of aegs, and whilst the cocking action is fairly awkward at times it is somehow satisfying. I Love it!! Would recommend it to EVERYONE who considers a sniping weapon!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been searching all over for a nice sniper and scope review, and I think that this review is possibly the best that I've seen. Is there a better sniper out there for the same price or lower?

On Amazon Zepher sports has it for $160~ (no scope). But this gun is amazing I have it in the OD Green and my problems are accuracy (due to low gram BB's) and how to get the fricken flash hider off -.- it is a pain and I don't know what to do. If anyone can help me please I would appreciate it, Thanks.