Motor Speeds

galactica

I'm getting a new motor for ROF and noise reasons...looking at a TM EG1000, since it makes sense to me that it is 300 rpm faster than the 700-ish one I have now.

However, I am curious to know where the Systema and Guarder "high speed" motors fit into this speed structure. Does anyone have the necessary knowledge to rank the various popular upgrade motors according to speed and, if it's relevant, torque? I don't ever plan on using anything over an M110.

Thanks for your wisdom!

I'm getting a new motor for ROF and noise reasons...looking at a TM EG1000, since it makes sense to me that it is 300 rpm faster than the 700-ish one I have now.

Eh? What?

TBH, I'm not sure what the significance of the "EG" numbers on TM motors is but it's certainly not the RPM!

FWIW, the EG700 actually spins faster than the EG1000.

Apparently, in a standard TM gun, an EG700 will give you a higher ROF compared to an EG1000.

The EG1000 has more torque than the EG700 and is better in guns with stronger springs.

Expanding on this a bit, there's really no practical way to compare motors based solely on speed of rotation.

The engine of a FIAT Uno does 6,500 rpm. Do you suppose that makes it as powerful as Ford Mustang V8 that also does 6,500rpm?

Equally, do you suppose a FIAT Uno engine, revving at 6,500rpm, would make a Challenger tank go 3 times as fast as it does using a Diesel V12 revving to 2,000rpm?

To really determine what motor you need you really need to know RPM and torque. I dunno if it's the same in the r/c world but I can't see any airsoft manufacturer publishing proper facts like this.

By way of example, my ICS M4 shoots at 1J. I swapped the ICS Turbo 2000 for a TM EG1000 and the difference was obvious. The EG1000 was much better.

Anyway, I have often hooked up a 4000mah 9.6v battery to the gun, simply to test-fire it after cleaning etc, and the ROF remained the same, compared to the 2,200mah 9.6v batteries normally fitted in the Crane stock.

I recently bought a Systema Magnum motor for a mate but (after eHobby Asia took 4 months to deliver it) ended up fitting a different motor instead. When the Magnum finally arrived I ended up bunging it in my M4 simply cos I didn't have any other gun it'd fit.

I was actually pretty disappointed by the Magnum motor. The gun gained a couple of RPS and seemed to fire a bit more crisply but nothing major.

However, the next time I hooked up the large battery to the gun to test-fire it I was STUNNED at the ROF! With the 4000mah battery connected the ROF jumped to WELL over 30 RPS! :o

So, the moral of the story is that (as usual) your gun is a system of parts and replacing one will rarely improve much.

What you always need to do is replace one or 2 items which will enable you to get the benefit out of a third part which seemed to be improving nothing by itself.

Go figure!

So, umm, yeah. Motor speed doesn't really mean much.

sorry for the short reply this morning, I was in a hurry, anyway, not sure about the guarder motor's, but here's a blog post where I tested the Dboys Stock, EG700 and Systema Turbo motors against eachother in a Dboys m4:

http://www.airsofthacks.com/2007/09/dboys-...-of-fire-tests/

This is exactly what I mean.

The limiting factor in these tests was the batteries. If he'd used a large battery with a greater discharge rate he would have got totally different results.

thanks obi-wan! Someone somewhere else said that those TM figures meant that, so I was just being a sheep.

This is together with a load of new bits for the gearbox, not a one-element upgrade. However, it'll also be using a 3300mah 9.6 batt. So unfortunately i'm still none the clearer on what motor I should be looking at then... Perhaps i'll stick with the 700!

However, it'll also be using a 3300mah 9.6 batt. So unfortunately i'm still none the clearer on what motor I should be looking at then... Perhaps i'll stick with the 700!

That battery should be good enough to turn the best motor.

Actually, your conclusion is pretty much what I was told when I first considered upgrading a motor, years ago.

In a 1J gun, keep using the EG700 until it snuffs it (maybe never) then replace it with an EG1000 rather than an EG700.

If you DO plan on upgrading the motor, I'd suggest spending a bit more cash and going for something a bit more up-market.

I've always gone for high-torque motors rather than high-speed. With a high-torque motor in a 1J gun it'll still be faster than normal but it'll have loads of reserves for future upgrades.

I've tried torque-up motors by Guarder, G&P and Systema and they were all an improvement over an EG1000 (again, in a 1J gun) however, as I said, the Systema Magnum was truly amazing!

Archived