IMI Weapon Thread

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evansy: hawt. i was never a fan of the 10", but thats a beaut.

so whats exactly wrong with the star/ares MARS that makes everyone want to swap it out?

-Joe

It's not even "not that great". More like, it's been designed like a cheap child's toy and without any consideration for actual use for aiming. i.e. completely useless.

This video explains it all

There is a way of helping that problem.

Draw a "crosshair" on the rear glass, then you aline the dot with the center of the drawn crosshair. It basically turns it into iron sights that use electrisity.

I cant believe a "good" company like aries would make such a silly error.

you just screwed a rail to the bottom?
Its bolted using some thin nuts which don't interfere with the recoil springs then epoxied for good measure.

evansy: hawt. i was never a fan of the 10", but thats a beaut.

so whats exactly wrong with the star/ares MARS that makes everyone want to swap it out?

-Joe

Thanks.

Also the paralax problem wasnt even the biggest one I found with the MARS when I tried one.

It was the size of the dot (about half that of a replica aimpoint) how blurry it was and how dull it was. There didnt seem to be enough adjustment with the brightness either. All in all I just didnt find it as user friendly as I find my AP replica on my M4.

It does look like the MARS was a bit of an after thort by ares when they made the Tavor.

TBH I wasn't all that impressed with the rest of the gun either considering its price tag.

Edited by evansy

Not directing this at you, but infact at the video maker. This is a stupid test. Everyone do the same test with your own aimpoints at home. Even your 400 dollar real ones. The same thing will happen, thats one of the major selling points of the EoTech, the fact it doesn't change.

Edit: This is because an aimpoint shines a point onto a piece of glass rather than a real EoTech which is holographic.

Edited by Kipper

Real Aimpoints don't (at least shouldn't) do that. Even clone Aimpoints aren't that bad. Check the Aimpoint website here. They show you how they overcame the problem of that.

The difference between the holographic site, and an Aimpoint, is the holographic site doesn't so much have a projector. So you can't easily block the reticle with mud or dust or anything. The Aimpoint is enclosed, so you don't need to worry about bits getting in the way of the projector. On the other hand, it tunnels the vision in the way an EOtech doesn't.

I love that Pmag in the Tavor. Good silencer and optic too.

Not directing this at you, but infact at the video maker. This is a stupid test. Everyone do the same test with your own aimpoints at home. Even your 400 dollar real ones. The same thing will happen, thats one of the major selling points of the EoTech, the fact it doesn't change.

Edit: This is because an aimpoint shines a point onto a piece of glass rather than a real EoTech which is holographic.

Kipper, I made this video and I'll pass over your "stupid" insult and present you with how even a cheap 20$ reflex sight behaves.

As it should, the dot stays on target. It is because they have correctly calculated and made the lens with LED exactly at focal point, which then projects it to infinity. However, ARES has missed it terribly (30mm vs 60mm, but that's another story), which makes the projection seem inside the unit and not (near) infinity.

Here's the video:

Note that this sight even has a cracked lens, but works perfectly (actually one of major Eotech selling points :)).

Here you can see my attempt at fixing the ARES MARS parallax:

I used a mirror to lengthen the distance LED-lens to some 60mm. And you can see that parallax is almost gone. But there are other practical problems which limit this mod to be useful, so I gave up on it. A note to ARES though ;).

Edited by Hristo

In reply to your PM, As a photographer I think I know a little bit about it as well :)

I'm not saying that the Ares sight isn't rubbish. All I'm saying is that comparing one type of red dot sight with a different type is a pointless test. It's like saying you can turn a motorbike easier than a car. Yes I know EoTech say it works with mud in the corner of the lens or cracked whatever, but thats purely because the reticule can move around the window without it affecting aim. A couple of people I know have real Aimpoints, and at the edges of the field of view it suffers from similar paralax issues as this Ares sight. Perhaps it's something they've addressed in newer models it was 100% an issue affecting aimpoints in the past.

Edited by Kipper

ARES MARS is below any criteria of usability. Simply because the dot travels in cone of at least 45 degrees in all directions.

Eotech, Aimpoint, Aimpoint replica, cheap reflex sights - differ only slightly in their usability. Their dot stays on target (more on Eotech, somewhat less on cheap replicas). But they all have no problem staying on a man sized target at 30 meters away, in all corners of the sight. ARES MARS cannot even dream of it.

Edited by Hristo
In reply to your PM, As a photographer I think I know a little bit about it as well :)

I'm not saying that the Ares sight isn't rubbish. All I'm saying is that comparing one type of red dot sight with a different type is a pointless test. It's like saying you can turn a motorbike easier than a car. Yes I know EoTech say it works with mud in the corner of the lens or cracked whatever, but thats purely because the reticule can move around the window without it affecting aim. A couple of people I know have real Aimpoints, and at the edges of the field of view it suffers from similar paralax issues as this Ares sight. Perhaps it's something they've addressed in newer models it was 100% an issue affecting aimpoints in the past.

I'd like to throw my two cents here. :P

It's not a matter of what brand of red dot/reticule sight you use to compare. It's a matter of parallax.

If a red dot sight isn't parallax-free (like the ARES MARS), it's useless. Aimpoints and EOTechs are usable because they are parallax free. That's the whole point of a red dot sight.

So, the video isn't BS. It's quite legitimate.

i wish someone would make available a 10" desert eagle kit, i really want it! Also, how about making the 14" kit just for the hell of it: you can never have a pistol that's too long

if only this was airsoft!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rem...sertEagle14.jpg

Well TM are releasing the 10" model as a regular gun so I'm guessing someone will make a metal kit for it and when they do I'm also going to guess there will be alot of plastic 10" outer barrels out there to buy.

Personally I'd just be happy with a 10" barrel kit for the TM so I could use it with the standard barrel when I wanted practicality and the long one for lols. Or hunting moose as the FPS will be silly from a TM HK gbb with a 10" inner barrel.

My KWC puts out 250-260 on AE winter gas and .2s with the 6" barrel which jumps upto 320-330 with the 10" one on.

Well TM are releasing the 10" model as a regular gun so I'm guessing someone will make a metal kit for it and when they do I'm also going to guess there will be alot of plastic 10" outer barrels out there to buy.

Personally I'd just be happy with a 10" barrel kit for the TM so I could use it with the standard barrel when I wanted practicality and the long one for lols. Or hunting moose as the FPS will be silly from a TM HK gbb with a 10" inner barrel.

My KWC puts out 250-260 on AE winter gas and .2s with the 6" barrel which jumps upto 320-330 with the 10" one on.

you're kidding me! ive always wanted to make the Resident Evil 2 Desert Eagle without actually buying the official 10" TM one

Sorry Kipper you're wrong. Heres the various RDS and reflex sights I own.

6011_88672609566_503689566_1784670_5350071_n.jpg

Non of them perform like the ARES MARS. To put it bluntly, the ARES MARS sight is DIRE for something that cost that much. The point of aim should NOT move since the gun has not moved. That the ARES MARS moves all over the place when the camera moves means they've designed it like some cheap 5 quid toy. I dunno what was "stupid" about the test?

To put it into perspective, the susat from my academy SA80s preforms in the same way as the ares mars (according to the video)

however my $50 cheapo acog works just how it should do (bit fuzzy mind).

If the gun stays still, then you should be able to move your head all over the place and still have the dot where the bullets/BBs land.

Anything that does not do this is beyond useless.

End of story!

Omg I see a USP in the background. We're long lost twins!

Proof:

Its not a USP, Its the USP's big sister.

Mk 23?

Yup.

I would tell you know I know but that would just reveal how much of a geek I am.

Yup, Evansy is 100% right. Here's another picture for ya. And to the "Big Sister" comment my friend keeps using the analogy "The Mk23 is the USP's hot mom."

DSC01390.jpg