kie

Custom Gear

It's getting cold in here... or should I say cold war?

East German NVA strichtarn combat chest rig (modern edition)

DSCF7322.JPG

Grommet for radio antenna, followed by an elastic keeper, followed by a PTT loop on the shoulder strap.

DSCF7323.JPG

Interior of radio/general purpose pouch. Both sides look like this; whichever one doesn't have a radio in it will hold water bottles or a canteen.

DSCF7324.JPG

Secondary pocket behind each radio/GP pouch.

DSCF7328.JPG

Each mag pouch flap can be (1) tucked in and held by velcro, (2) removed, or (3) replaced with shock cord. Each pouch can hold 2 AK mags stacked or 3 AK mags side by side.

DSCF7329.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks, although I can't take all the credit. I designed it and helped with the layout/assembly, but all the sewing was done by a friend of mine.

New Desert Eagle needed a holster:

DE1.JPG

DE2.JPG

I've got parts on order to make a Kydex press for a more "defined" look, but it's functional.

Really nice strichtarn chestrig SteevoLS, have though about making one simular or in a V-95 type pattern for a what if loadout.

Here are some in use, not sure if they were made for export by the DDR or custom made from fabric post German unification.

http://balashnikov.com/showthread.php?5477-Rain-Pattern-Chest-Rig

Given the amount of NVA gear seen on the Balkan's in the early 90's I have not come accross any pics of custom rigs in use there.

Thanks! The next project is to make one that replicates the Sandinista rigs... complete with sideways pattern. I haven't seen one for sale in years.

Thanks! The next project is to make one that replicates the Sandinista rigs... complete with sideways pattern. I haven't seen one for sale in years.

I keep throwing money at my screen but nothing happens! Nice rig, would love one!

Did a small assault pack named HaM, Hydro and More

IMG_0263-Kopie.jpgIMG_0265-Kopie.jpg

IMG_0267-Kopie.jpg

45cm x 25cm x 10cm, about 10 liters, PALS on the front and Sides, Hydroport on the top, Hydropouch inside and a small pouch on the outside for random small stuff!

• Like 1

Thanks!

But from a sewing perspective it's just a big zippered pouch with some extras like shoulder straps ^_^

I almost feel like I'm cheating, I started a "civilian" sewing shop this spring and have an industrial walking foot machine...

Relly nice out of the quality of the padding on the back panel.

But you can make really good thing is you know how, my temamate made this at home from 1000D cordura with ITW Nexus clips and YKK zippers:

wcatsekrwqbv21tdj98n.jpgja5p5kjc39vy8okm92o7.jpgx2n73mg1dx35tu33voth.jpgwgi2ntk346ybmyg723gz.jpg

@Bando: I'd love to, but I'm out of zipper glider/pulls. Only got black left, and an order from the states will take its time... Should I pm you when i get some?

@Geri: I only use mil-spec webbing, fabric and thread + ITW / US Made plastic parts. But your friend's stuff looks amazing, especially the binding of the yoke! FYI, binding is considered the the most challenging sewing operation :)

@spoeni sounds ace if you could let me know how much it would cost (and if i could bend your arm into making me a RG one :P ) that would be amazing

Sorry for the late response, I talked to Arnie and now got commercial status, yeeey!

Price is around 150 CHF/USD, depending on extra features, without shipping. At the moment I have Coyote Brown and MultiCam. Unfortunately I cannot justify the expenses to add another pattern/color, because it would not only be fabric, but triglides, buckles, Mil-W-17337 webbing, elastic webbing, zippers, binding tape, velcro and paracord...

There is some nice custom gear on here. I would like to make some of my own small items but I don't have access to a sewing machine. What types of stitches do ya'll suggest that I can do by hand and would be strong?

I'm no expert, but if you're doing it by hand you'll probably want to use a combination of stitches for best strength.

Blanket stitch I think is one you'll want to stop it fraying at the edges.

Not sure this is the thread to post this in, but I need a bit of advice. I've a DBT carrier I bought off of ebay and the zipper...well...completely ate itself as well as the stopper at the end. I want to remove the busted zipper and repair it or do away with it entirely and add a couple of buckles. I don't have a hella-great sewing machine, what would be the best way to go about this?

DSCF9165.jpg

Should be le zipper.

Is no le zipper. D :

I think it's just the cumberbund is too short to fit my fat *albartroth*, or "husky" as we call it. -_- (working on that bit)

But hey. 50 bucks on Ebay. What are you gonna do.

Edited by judgeman

OK, now the problem is that zippers should generally not be load-bearing. But because of the integrated(?) pouches, I don't see any room to add the webbing with anything else than a simple seam. And that's not optimal either...

So:

1. Replace the zipper

a. Find a similar separating zipper, open the seams, remove old zipper, add new zipper and sew. But your typical home machine will have troubles with that.

b. Ask DBT to replace it and hope they'll do it for free.

2. Add buckles

a. Do it yourself. Buy 1" buckles (2), some 1" webbing, and sew. But again, your homemachine will have troubles with it, and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll curse. A lot. You'll curse a lot on 1a. as well, forgot to add.

b. Ask a sewing shop in your area to do it.

So, if you like cursing and learning how to sew, 1a or 2a are your choices.

If you like it do be done elegantly and you have some money to spare, 1b or 2b it is...