• 1 month later...
  • Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allmost done with some Postapoc game gear.   Made mostly from real junk, fitted to a hockey torso protection. Police riot protection on the legs. Voicechanger under mask with loud speaker hidden i

Just finished up this leather pancake holster for my series 70. Stitch work is pretty rough (and not a proper saddle stitch) but I'm really happy with it considering its the first leather work I've do

Whoring around pics of this set.  Love 'em.  

Posted Images

Wondering if one of you can point me in the right direction. I've a old ACU Molle II rucksack I was looking to get chopped and modded a bit into a sort of EDC messenger bag. Looking for someone stateside that might be interested, though I'll look across the pond if I have to.

To whom should I turn? Figured this was the best place to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This does count right? :P

My very first piece of kydex: hello world!

gallery_21681_2178_10746.jpg

I did quite a lot of "homework" before laying my hands on those wonderful thermoplastic. A "channel" is needed for weapon light equipped pistol holster, I bought a POM stock for some other project before and I found this to be perfect for X300's size, I can use the lathe ( and some other machinery ) in my workplace so I saw a section of POM and lathed into a more manageable shape, then saw again to fit on the both sides of trigger guard.

( At the end I found that Tamiya masking tape IS good quality, but not good enough for the job, I'm going to use 3M Scotch Blue like the pros next time... )

gallery_21681_2178_31944.jpg

More channels... and mounting point for Safariland patterned accessory.

gallery_21681_2178_4549.jpg

After some more tape and BOOM!

You can find the "proper" way very easily on Youtube so I'm not bothering to tell in text. Yes I screwed the taco but it's my very "first" prototype, I proceeded making the holster because I NEED the experience.

By the way the kydex was too hot and melted the foam of my press, again, NEED some more experience...

( I have invested an oven and some tooling but if I make around 5-8 holsters for my buddies for a cost lower than most "proper" custom holsters, we'are good. But no, sorry, I don't feel like doing commissioned kydex work for the moment. )

gallery_21681_2178_13396.jpg

After some cutting and drilling...... 

gallery_21681_2178_8510.jpg

Some more cutting drilling hammering screwing sanding buffing....... viola!

gallery_21681_2178_92697.jpg

Screw belt loops, I've got MLS! Hell yeah! ( please ignore the small screws, didn't buy any washers...yet )

gallery_21681_2178_89110.jpg

Ooooops, too low......

gallery_21681_2178_98135.jpg

Way too low.........

edit: You're next!

gallery_21681_2178_48010.jpg

Edited by Katotaka
  • Like 2

Thanks bro, but I still call it screwed up bcoz I imagined my taco holster should fold along front sight channel and the gun is tilted by few degrees. 

......BTW may be I got attached to this "the first" thing, it looks OK to me after trim > rivet > polish. Anyway, I think I've learnt quite a lot from this and I'm already looking forward making second one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Boom! Almost done... still not quite "right" compared commercially made holsters, for starters there's a "fold" where the kydex really folds, it's supposed to be smooth around the light and channel fillings.

Also there was not enough / too much pressure on the foam press that the muzzle side ends up curly, tried to reheat with heat gun and pushed by hand, it helped but still little bit curly.

Well I'm also considering about investment in a small belt sander which helps A LOT, and check about buffing tools and compounds, cos the glossy edge from the pros a really appealing...

Riveted and added a small tension screw, and final hand sanding up to 600 grit with water, high grit helps but 600 or even 400 will do if buffed later, if I'm careful enough to not leaving too much tool marks using dremel... :P

gallery_21681_2178_7945.jpg

I tried to copy how Raven made their version, I was worrying about the gun able to drop from such a "revealing" hoslter design, surprisingly there's more than enough retention against shaking upside down, and it still holds even when pushed from the magwell.
gallery_21681_2178_96992.jpg

Not yet drilled, pic showing Safariland spacer as my template when I built the "widget" using wider popsicle sticks which allows few degrees of cant while I decide where to drill the mounting holes.
gallery_21681_2178_18939.jpg

"Threat!"

gallery_21681_2178_64042.jpg

(me taking picture of myself while holding both gun and holster on my waist... )

• Like 4

I've been doing a bit of custom sewing for a little bit now (maybe 5 months). Everything is 330d Multicam with Milspec materials. Full album is here (http://imgur.com/a/jaFwF), but here are a few of the more innovative ones:

Modular Mag Pouch - MK17: Allows use with bungees, flaps, both, or neither.

fYWzgqM.png

bwLVFQb.png

D9XJv0X.png

0Agaepr.png

EgeDXfV.png

Abdomen MOLLE Panel with removable stiffener to prevent floppage and a 5x 40mm pouch (this set is actually going to a Ranger):

DEx6SmN.png

DSxa3BY.png

s31Mi3a.png

agp4A1V.png

CPC/JPC/AVS GRG Pouch with a backlight for low-light use:

zhREAgm.png

BWdYvy4.png

Quad M4 Pouch with Frag/Dip Pouch:

G9FtyEJ.jpg?1

b0yaHOY.png

• Like 1

The rest of the stuff I make is mostly copies of the rare Crye pouches:

40mm/Flashbang

RDZnX7C.png

Ef8P304.png

Small GP

p8rwWS3.png

40cspLQ.png

9mm

3WqWxHJ.png

M4

Vk01SbE.png

The FLYYE tag and background was to troll with another group. I did indeed make this.

a0QYL9A.jpg?2

Compared with a real Crye M4 pouch on the left.

Edited by beta08
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...