Periscope

cafemondo

Ive got one of these and didnt know what to do with it so after some thinking and needing one in the field Ive made a periscope, and very cheaply too.

Heres my tube.

gallery_40367_1328_6302.jpg

Lay out a credit card onto the top and mark out with pencil or knife.

Turn over 180 degrees and do same on other end.

gallery_40367_1410_35744.jpg

Drill out the corners so you can get a jigsaw into there.

gallery_40367_1410_85143.jpg

Cut out a nice rectangle with your jigsaw.

gallery_40367_1410_16198.jpg

Cut two ovals of mirror, ha ha ha easier written than done. Squares are ok.

Cut two wedges of wood on a 45 degree island, make sure the wedges fit snuggle into your tube.

gallery_40367_1410_83132.jpg

Glue mirrors to wedges, I used fast grab expanding foam and then clamped them down for 30 minutes.

gallery_40367_1410_7703.jpg

While the glues drying, spray the inside of the tube with some black spray, I used a cheap car body matt black aerosol.

gallery_40367_1410_91528.jpg

Glue the mirrors in place, I also screwed mine in.

gallery_40367_1410_8397.jpg

Cut out a couple of windows, diet cherry coke is it people, mixed with some welsh vodka of course. These arent very good for visibility and some clear plexiglass would be a better alternative.

gallery_40367_1410_83733.jpg

Tape them on using some waterproof gaffer or rhino tape, can you get camouflage tape?

gallery_40367_1410_56638.jpg

Drill a hole in each end that correlates to the wooden wedge inside. This is if you are attaching an eyelet to take a sling.

gallery_40367_1410_73592.jpg

And now its finished.

gallery_40367_1410_82438.jpg

Works quite well, a bit blurry but probably good enough for poking around corners or from behind a tree bush, tyre etc.

Damn, wish I'd known about that before I ordered from UN Company the other week, I'd have thrown one in the order just for the hell of it.

Good work on the periscope, anyway, cafemondo. Personally, I'd sooner have Col. O'Neill's pocket-sized one from Stargate SG1, though...

Blimey, that's humungous :o

I've been wanting to make a little periscope for ages but I can't find out what lens to use (so you get a 'full' view of the top/second mirror), and lenses aren't that cheap or readily available to get a load for experimenting.

There's very little info around on periscopes actually. You'd think with the 'net it'd be easy to find the gen.

I cannibalised an old pair of binoculars for the prisms as well.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the blurey ness is because of the coke windows, like stealth bomber said, use plastic mirrors!,

as this isnt a submarine you dont need windows, so scrap em, also, put som sort of weak magnification at the eyepiece end, otherwise it looks like you are looking down a pipe, also this is better for affective observation, rather than normal veiw...

the camerar is a good one, the british army are devoping it for standard issue to all our soldiers so we can shoot into and out of windows, and around corners, the germans (ww2) developed a gun to shoot around corners by giving the barrel a 90 degree bend to one side! this is fine until you want to shoot in a straight line!

reminds me of a REALLY old project i did ages ago

-Snip-

never got past prototype stage

If you were to combine that with say an mp7 or something short, and design a folding stock that locked with a button at mid swing, you could make a gun like the corner shot that's bieng developed by the military.

• 4 weeks later...
If you were to combine that with say an mp7 or something short, and design a folding stock that locked with a button at mid swing, you could make a gun like the corner shot that's bieng developed by the military.

Ive seen these aswell. It would be so sweet if somone made one.

I've been toying with this idea for awhile now, instead of getting a cumbersome periscope, how about getting a cheap portable mirror and then tacking it onto my rubber knife when i need to peep around corners? Hits on the mirror shouldnt be counted as a hit right?

Archived