PFI Smoke Grenade (Battery)

KWP

PFI Smoke Grenade, disposable, available in different colors (green, oragne, purple, white), ignited by a battery (e.g. 9V block battery). Shops in Hong Kong sell it for about 3 Euro/unit.

Photo 1/2: (Size comparison with an M4/M16 magazine, Grenade Dimensions 11cm x 4cm)

c667b604.jpg

Photo 2/2: (A 9V block battery and the bottom of the grenade with the 2 contacts for ignition)

b3b31f13.jpg

Video 1/1:

aadafefe.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/kwp/smoke_grenade/?action=view&current=pfi_smoke_grenade_green.flv

and who might have these instock? can they be shipped to the US? I must buy some....

They are sold by walk-in shops in Hong Kong. This grenade is allowed to be used in HK although anything pryo is prohibited there. Shipping from HK is not the problem, but the recipient needs to know if he's allowed to import it.

Thats kinda funky but doesn't compare to the airsoft pyro already available here in terms of output.

It would be interesting if they could make that top bit like the base of a lightbulb with a bayonet style locking lugs and space to install a battery there. Then all you need to do is twist the top bit to disengage the safety and press it down to make a contact between battery and contact plate to ignite the smoke mix and use a bottom vent and you're away...

Thats kinda funky but doesn't compare to the airsoft pyro already available here in terms of output.

It would be interesting if they could make that top bit like the base of a lightbulb with a bayonet style locking lugs and space to install a battery there. Then all you need to do is twist the top bit to disengage the safety and press it down to make a contact between battery and contact plate to ignite the smoke mix and use a bottom vent and you're away...

Surely though, wouldn't that mean that a new battery is to be bought in addition to every grenade, since the battery will be inside the grenade when you through it? :huh:

True, that is the somewhat near sighted part of my idea, if the 'det plug' could easily be removed and some sort of delay between smoke output and intial contact implemented then I suppose you could retain the useful bit.

Still I'd be quite happy with a ring pull striker

I may be the only one a little confused but is it just a casing that fires a smoke grenade(how is that not a pyro, is it because no flames are involved? As you can tell I am a n00b in this are)?

You could be right, there is no fire involved, neither outside nor insided the grenade. Just a chemical reaction without any open flames. Not sure, but in the video you can see a second explosion and rather yellowish smoke coming out, which I guess is not intended. Without it I assume it would produce more dense green smoke over a slighthly longer time. Just a guess though and making it bigger would definitely helpful anyway.

Archived