Well, when I decided to buy this gun, there were absolutely no reviews anywhere to be found, except for the one found here on Arnies. So I thought well why not put up another one. I'll also do my best to compare this gun to the Tm p226. Although I sold it a long time ago, I still remember almost every detail about it as it was one of my most favorite guns. So without further ado, here goes.

The gun arrived in typical KSC packaging. A packet of BB's, a tool for adjusting hopup, and of course the gun itself along with the manual. The box itself is a snazzy affair, very stylish.

DSC00102-3.jpg

DSC00101-3.jpg

Appearance:

The gun has no seam lines, unlike the ugly seams found on the TM P226. Whatever process KSC is using, clearly it works. It also has more of a matte than a shiny finish, unlike the TM. And whatever process KSC is using on the P226 to paint it, it looks amazingly realistic. On some areas, the paint even looks like it is covering up brushed steel, giving it a very metallic look.

DSC00103-1.jpg

DSC00104-1.jpg

The decocking lever also sounds and feels more solid IMHO-the TM's decocking lever, while positive, made a very toy-like clunking sound when used, or at least to me it did. The hammer has strange colorations on it, which I assume was from somewhere in the painting or anodizing process. The trademarks are engraved somewhat shallowly, but apparently this is also true for the RS P226. The frame reads "frame made with rail", with the typical Sig Sauer rollmarks on the slide. t is just about as heavy as the Tm P226 as well.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

You will also notice that the hammer on the KSC does not fully cover the firing pin detail; it stays in a perpetually decocked state. On the TM, if you decock the hammer, that's where the hammer position is on the KSC. If the TM were dry-fired, the hammer would go all the way down and completely cover the firing pin detail. One annoyance about the KSC P226 hammer is that it behaves much like the older Magna Western Arms 1911's; when the hammer falls, it doesn't fall and stay put like the TM P226 does, but rather bounces back and forth a little in place. This doesn't happen when the gun is fired, only when dry-firing, but annoying nonetheless.

DSC00109.jpg

The magazine also has some very nice detailing on it, with a round counting thingie on the back. It is one piece, unlike the TM P226. That was the single most aggravating feature on the TM P226 mags-they were two halves held together by a long screw that went down inside the mag. One of my TM mags kept leaking around that joint, and was impossible to fix. These mags, however, don't have that problem.

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

The best part of the gun, however, is the grips. They are, without a doubt, SPADES better than the TM P226 grips. They aren't shiny, are nicely textured, and gives you a solid grip without being abrasive. I don't know why TM couldn't do the same, but they didn't. The trigger has a thinner shape from front to back, which is somewhere in between the shape of the RS P226 short trigger, and the RS P226 stock trigger.

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

Inside:

The KSC P226 uses a hopup with a wheel that you need a tool for. While this is handy, as you don't have to take the slide off every time you want to adjust the hop like the TM P226, it can also be a pain in the *albatross* if you lose that tool. It holds itself quite well without any unwinding.

DSC00111.jpg

The loading nozzle looks suspiciously alike to the Tm P226 loading nozzle. I haven't tried it, but at first glance, it looks like the TM loading nozzle might fit the KSC. Key word here is MIGHT. I haven't worked on the TM in over a year so I can't remember the exact shape of the TM P226 nozzle, but they look very much alike.

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

The recoil guide rod is different, but the recoil spring, and the hammer spring I suspect, is interchangeable between the TM and KSC P226.

Performance:

In all honesty, both the KSC and Tm P226 (from what I remember) shoot almost exactly the same, in terms of accuracy and range. The TM did kick a little harder, but not by much. The KSC is easier to control, thanks to the better textured grips. The TM also had slightly thicker grip panels. The KSC uses correctly sized grip panels and gives you a shorter trigger reach. The KSC shot through one side of a Coke can and almost came out the other. This was in part due to the 85 degree weather here in Davis right now, but no doubt the gun will shoot about 270-280 fps with .25's, which is more than adequate for a sidearm. It's fairly accurate, with sub-1inch groups from a rest at 10ft, and about 2 inches at 25ft. I haven't tried longer distances because of the restraints of my home, but I'll get it out to a field and try it then. I have no idea what the maximum range on the KSC is yet either. But my bet is that it would be pretty darn similar to the TM. It would have to be damn good to match up to the TM though, because I do remember the TM P226 having some ridiculous range.

Conclusion:

I am somewhat torn about this. The KSC has very similar performance to the TM, and has an exterior finish and feel that is undoubtedly better than the TM. However, the aftermarket support for the TM is much greater. It doesn't take much for the TM P226 to be outshooting the KSC with just a few simple upgrades that would cost less than 30 bucks. I would have to say that the KSC is for those who don't plan on upgrading their guns, and the TM is for those who wish to trick out their guns. I have no idea what the KSC full metal version P226 is like, but my money is on KSC providing an even more serious contender for the TM P226. But then again, even though it's full metal (the one reviewed here is plastic), there's that issue of TM having more upgrade parts. Both guns are perfectly skirmishable. The KSC does have a metal slide and I THINK a tightbore upgrade for it. Whoever says the KSC P226 is only for collecting is quite frankly not really being completely honest. It's not like KSC Glocks or USP's are showpieces, are they? If you are looking for a P226 that you will keep primarily stock, then I recommend the KSC over the TM, as it is also cheaper. But if you plan on upgrading whatsoever, even something as simple as a piston head, then the only real choice you have is to go TM. I guarantee, however, that the KSC is a wonderful piece of kit that outstrips the TM in terms of fit and finish as stock pieces. You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

DSC00105-1.jpg

DSC00106-1.jpg

Nice review Ruchik.

Hopefully now people might be willing to give the KSC a chance, which hopefully means increasing sales which (fingers crossed) could lead to more aftermarket support.

I agree with you entirely regarding the fit and finish. As you said the grips are amazing and the finish they have managed to achieve on the slide and frame looks excellent .

Apart from the lack of aftermarket support the hammer is the only other real flaw I found with this pistol.

It does appear to be quite flimsy but as you quite rightly stated this is only noticed when dry firing the gun.

The hammer works like that on the real one as well. Maybe now it stops annoying you, because I know the hammer action of the TM version annoys me. ;) The magazine floorplate looks better on the KSC as well. If you like realism, then KSC is the better one. It also shoots a bit harder, but the accuracy is better on the TM, especially at longer ranges.

-Sale

Ahh good to know. Well, you're right, it doesn't annoy me anymore!

A quick note on the mags. The TM P226 mag, as I mentioned, uses a long screw to connect the lower and upper halves of the mag that reaches down into the gas reservoir. The reason why I could not simply tighten that screw was because the threading at the bottom had stripped-I did it without even realizing at first. If that happens, then good luck. This can't happen with the KSC, and along with the flat baseplate, is why I really dig the KSC P226.

Edited by ruchik
The reason why I could not simply tighten that screw was because the threading at the bottom had stripped-I did it without even realizing at first. If that happens, then good luck.

Well, you can just epoxy the two halves together. I dunno about other TM P226 owners, but I never seem to seperate the two magazine halves for any kind of maintenance anyway.

I haven't had to epoxy mine though, all it took was some lube on the rubber seal in there.

Well, you can just epoxy the two halves together. I dunno about other TM P226 owners, but I never seem to seperate the two magazine halves for any kind of maintenance anyway.

I haven't had to epoxy mine though, all it took was some lube on the rubber seal in there.

I tried that. But no matter what I did, there always seems to be a pinhole leak in the epoxy somewhere.

I have had both 226 as well. I may be unlucky, I bought a KSC to try it out after my trigger spring broke in my TM 226. So I bought a KSC 226, and love it. My mags also had issues for my TM. I also bought the after market KSC metal slide. It's very nice. The recoil is felt much more though the cycling speed is a little slower but it doesn't bother me. It sounds really nice racking my KSC. The only downside I have to say is that with my luck my Piston broke from using hfc22. Though luckily Dentrinity has them in stock

The Engravings on the metal slide are a little deeper though the ridges in back aren't as sharp... if that makes sense. I also like the sights better on the KSC over the TM, there aren't any mold lines on those either and they each have a number on them.

Do you guys know if Hogue grips fit this any better than the TM one?

Edited by fadedcorona
  • 2 years later...

Since this was revived, I will add this.

The KSC P226 is the most accurate mechnical detail replica SIG.

The annoyance you talk about:

You will also notice that the hammer on the KSC does not fully cover the firing pin detail; it stays in a perpetually decocked state. On the TM, if you decock the hammer, that's where the hammer position is on the KSC. If the TM were dry-fired, the hammer would go all the way down and completely cover the firing pin detail. One annoyance about the KSC P226 hammer is that it behaves much like the older Magna Western Arms 1911's; when the hammer falls, it doesn't fall and stay put like the TM P226 does, but rather bounces back and forth a little in place. This doesn't happen when the gun is fired, only when dry-firing, but annoying nonetheless.

Is a real design feature. It is a safety that prevents the gun from accidentally firing due to a shock.

See how a the hammer sits on a real SIG.

4820510369_ecd014403a_b.jpg

This is why I like KSC SIG's...they are far more realistic then a TM SIG.

• 4 weeks later...