How to modify a Sansei Mask to work with ESS Goggles

uscmCorps

I've been playing this sport since 1989 in Hong Kong. Back then I was 13/14 years old and figured Shop Glasses would cut it. Given that our classic airsoft guns back then weren't too powerful, it's possible that shop glasses would have been fine for our eyes. Over the years, the guns became more powerful, I've seen a lot of shattered teeth, punctured skin, and one incident of partial blindness all from BB hits. When the Sansei Mesh Mask first came out, it was a pretty popular mask especially in Hong Kong because we mostly played in summer and non-mesh masks tend to fog up fast and easily due to the heat and humidity. The mesh masks never had that problem and they were very affordable. One thing that always did bug me about them though was how they would cut down your vision slightly due to the mesh grid in front of your eyes. It's like watching a regular TV vs. an HD TV. Mesh simply isn't as clear as lenses. I know a lot of people have complained about how the mesh goggle/masks are unsafe as shattered BB fragments can make their way through the mesh... personally, I have never ever seen that happen (and in Hong Kong we used to play well above 500 fps), but that's not what this thread is about. I loved my mesh goggles, but hated the fact that they cut down on vision. On the other hand I hated lensed masks because they always fogged on me. So I just stuck with Mesh Goggles for well over a decade. Then I came across the ESS Turbofan Goggles (available in both standard and low profile styles) that with the click of a button, allowed me to de-fog the goggles. But they didn't have lower face protection. Call me vain but as much as I valued my eyes, I also valued my teeth. If only we could combine the lower face protection of the Sansei Mask with the ESS Goggle, we'd have an excellent combo. Then my friend and teammate, Jay, came up with a simple and elegant solution and I have since followed his lead and done the same to my masks. What I have for you is a simple tutorial on how to attach the lower portion of a Sansei Face Mask to a set of ESS Striker or Profile Goggles.

Additional Notes:

* The ESS TurboFan Goggles are pretty commonly available. The Striker TurboFan Model is currently only available in Black, and the Profile TurboFan Model is available in Black, Foliage Green and Tan (a very light Tan).

The cheapest I have found the TurboFan Goggles is at Botach Tactical for around $129.95. Not cheap, but they really are some of the best goggles on the mask today. Here's the Striker TurboFans, and here's the Profile TurboFans.

* The Sansei Mask is commonly available at most online and in store retailers. Some places sell clones of the Sansei mask which are a little cheaper. Those will work fine for this modification as you really only need the lower face portion of the mask.

Disclaimer:

* I know I shouldn't have to say this, but please use common sense when working with any tool. God knows I've spilled enough of my own blood over the years and gotten enough stitches from the many hobby/airsoft projects I've worked on. Like a few years back when I sliced my palm open down to the bone cutting something towards myself. I digress. Point being, Be careful.

* Also, you're making modifications to a protective mask so be aware of all potential risks that would incur. While the solution outlined in this tutorial worked for me, your own mileage may vary (though very unlikely as this has proven to be a good and solid solution to lower face protection). While it doesn't give you 100% protection, and it's still possible a BB will come in at a low enough angle to go under the plastic towards your mouth, when done right it should help a great deal in protecting your face and increasing the lifespan of your teeth.

* Basically, know the risks, be careful, and use some common sense!

TUTORIAL: How to modify a Sansei Mask to work with ESS Goggles

This tutorial should work with both Striker (standard) and Profile (shorter, more low profile) goggles made by ESS Goggles.

What you will need:

First you'll need the following items to do the modification:

* Sansei Mask (I got a clone mask because it was cheaper than a real Sansei Mask, and I only needed the lower face protection part).

* ESS Goggle (In this tutorial I'm using an ESS Striker Style Goggle. However, the same steps should apply if you are usng a Profile Style ESS Goggle.)

* Some kind of craft knife or nail scissors.

* A pair of small zip-ties

* and a wire clipper would help too.

* Permanent Marker Pen (e.g. Sharpie)

esssansei01smallkr7.jpg

esssansei02zz5.jpg

Step 1

Take a look at the Sansei Mask. It's consist of two main parts: the top which protects the eyes, and the lower part that protects the face area below the eyes. The two halves are connected at five points: one on either side where the straps connect to the goggles, one on either side below the eyes on the cheek bones, and one centered on the bridge of the nose.

esssansei03smallgv9.jpg

Take a quick look at this picture. The two flashing points is where we will be threading zip ties through later on in this tutorial.

Seperate the two halves of the Sansei Mask

esssansei04smallfw4.jpg

Step 2

Now take a look at the bottom of the ESS Goggles. Both the Striker and Profile ESS Goggles have two protruding edges on the bottom of the Goggles that you'll need to modify the Lower half of the Sansei mask to work around.

esssansei05smallbt0.jpg

(Click on the picture to see which edges I'm refering to)

Take the ESS Goggle, and the Sansei Mask and see how they match up. Note where the two protruding edges on the bottom of the ESS Goggle touch the upper edge of the lower face mask. Using a Permanent Marker Pen, indicate those connection points on the Sansei Lower face mask

esssansei06smallzn8.jpg

Step 3

Using a craft knife or some other cutting tool, cut out two small notches on the Sansei Mask where you marked it in the previous step.

esssansei07smallls9.jpg

esssansei08smalljv1.jpg

When you're done cutting, test and see how they fit together. (Note: I always cut too little and keep retrying the fitting till I get it right. The notches will probably end up being 3 or 4mm wide.)

esssansei09smallum1.jpg

Step 4

Very often when you receive the Sansei masks they've been shipped long distances, or they've been packed in pretty tightly in a box, and the mask may have gotten a bit flattened over time. I like my masks to fit relatively snug to my face, so I wrap a couple elastic bands around it and keep it that way for a few hours. That should help throw some shape back into it.

esssansei10smallfn0.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step 5

Now take the two small zip ties and thread them through the vent holes on the bottom of the ESS Goggle. To figure out where to thread the zip ties through, take a look at which vent holes are closest to the corresponding holes on the Sansei lower face mask. On the ESS Striker Goggles, I threaded it through the 4th vent hole from the center in the middle row.

esssansei11smallvn8.jpg

esssansei12smallnt4.jpg

Step 6

Then thread it into the corresponding holes through the front of the Sansei Lower Face Mask.

esssansei13smalluz5.jpg

Step 7

Now the ends of the zip ties go back up through the nearest vent holes on the bottom of the ESS Goggle.

esssansei14smallxv8.jpg

Thread the tails through the zip ties and cinch them tight.

esssansei15smallrh5.jpg

esssansei16smallwo7.jpg

Step 8

Clip off the excess tails of the zip ties.

esssansei17smallit3.jpg

Step 9

Check to make sure you've got a pretty good seal between the ESS Goggle and the Sansei Mask.

esssansei18smallen0.jpg

esssansei19smallij5.jpg

And you're Finished!!!

Here's pics of my three Masks, two are ESS TurboFan Profile Goggles with Sansei Lower Face Masks, and the third is an ESS Striker Mask with a Sansei Lower Face mask.

esssansei20smallqq7.jpg

esssanseifinishedsmallmz4.jpg

The result is a very secure system, and keeps the lower area off the face enough that it doesn't affect breathing much at all but still gives you excellent protection/coverage.

Since using this setup I have officially retired my Mesh Goggles permanently. :D

Good luck and play safe!

A little while back, someone asked me about which colors of the ESS Profile TurboFan masks work best with Crye Precision Multicam. I guess it comes down to Foliage Green vs. Tan goggles.

mcmask01ib7.jpgmcmask02qd3.jpg

While the Tan would be considered a more appropriate color match to Multicam, the Tan ESS chose to use for their TurboFan Goggles is extremely light. It's basically a dark cream color, and oddly, more bright than other Tan ESS Goggles have been in the past.

On the other hand, while Foliage Green may be considered an odd color choice for Multicam as Foliage Green is predominantly used to work with ACU, I do like the more subdued color styling of the Foliage Green over the glaringly bright Tan ESS chose to use.

Either works fine, but ultimately, I prefer Foliage Green a tad more for what I've done with them here.

Can you use iron sights with this mask?

Yup! The lower face portion sits flush against your face. The ESS Goggles are used by active military personnel, so if they can use those goggles with irons, I'm sure we'd be good too. ;)

Can you use iron sights with this mask?

Yes. I used the Sansei lower mask mated with the JT Proshield paintball goggles and have had similar results. I can easily use the iron sights of an M4A1, a G36C, and an M14.

Darn thing won't let me edit... But I just did this with my mask... It came out really well, and later this week, I can add pictures of the closeups and places I did things on my turbofan profiles... So anyone with those types of goggles will find it a might easier.... Only problem I found is, on profiles, the plastic/rubber around the rectangular slits gets stressed/scrunched togeather when you tighten the zip ties... I saw this in your pictures of the profiles too, and I am not sure whether this will compromise the integrity of the slits and pull through the slits with use or not..... Other than that, awesome tutorial....

Nice mod as always USCM!

Thanks buddy! ^_^

how comfortable is the nosebridge area? I tried doing something similar, but I cut down the part that covers your nose a bit, and its not very comfortable (presses against the nosebridge, ends up hurting)

On all three of my masks the nose bride isn't even an issue. It's super comfortable.

How did you wrap your Profiles in MC? I have been meaning to do something like this for a loooooooooooooooooong time... As usual, USMC, you make awesome tutorials, that prevent me from ruining everything.... Lolz.... Thanks!

I used some Multicam Tape I bought off ebay a while back. It's basically Multicam Twill fabric cut into strips and backed with adhesive.

Darn thing won't let me edit... But I just did this with my mask... It came out really well, and later this week, I can add pictures of the closeups and places I did things on my turbofan profiles... So anyone with those types of goggles will find it a might easier.... Only problem I found is, on profiles, the plastic/rubber around the rectangular slits gets stressed/scrunched togeather when you tighten the zip ties... I saw this in your pictures of the profiles too, and I am not sure whether this will compromise the integrity of the slits and pull through the slits with use or not..... Other than that, awesome tutorial....

It's been fine on my masks so far and I've skirmished with it over a dozen times and they're still holding up fine.. Just don't tug on the lower face mask. ;)

Most excellent, gonna pick a mask up with my next order.

I've been shot in the lip one too many times to continue thinking that getting a tooth shot out won't happen to me, and was wondering how people attached masks to their ESS goggles.

Good stuff mate!

Since you have a skykes mask do ess Turbo goggles wrap round the skykes mask ?

You can wear the Sykes mask with ESS Goggles but I wasn't able to get a full seal between ESS Goggle and Sykes Mask. I'd advise against it myself. TBH, I have yet to find a single mask that'll give me a decent full seal with the Sykes Mask. So Until I'm able to cut some lenses that'll be epoxied to the Sykes Mask, I'll continue to use my ESS Goggle/Sansei Mask setup.

I've been shot in the lip one too many times to continue thinking that getting a tooth shot out won't happen to me, and was wondering how people attached masks to their ESS goggles.

Good stuff mate!

Thanks! Knowing that I've converted a few more people makes me really glad. Anyone that plays this sport and values their teeth should look into some kind of lower face protection.

I'll try my sykes mask first when i get a chance to pick it up, but if i dont like it i might give this a try.

One thing I like about the Sansei Mask is that it's extremely flexible. So getting a cheek wield is easy. Sykes on the other hand tend to be very inflexible... making it less easy.

Great job on the mod, I especially like the multicam one. One thing you might be interest in, is that ESS is apparently working some form of airsoft facemask/modified goggles. The mask seems to be some sort of detachable affair, and from what I have heard the goggles are their normal ones with the foam removed (it keeps fogging down, and we don't really need sandstorm protection).

Great job on the mod, I especially like the multicam one. One thing you might be interest in, is that ESS is apparently working some form of airsoft facemask/modified goggles. The mask seems to be some sort of detachable affair, and from what I have heard the goggles are their normal ones with the foam removed (it keeps fogging down, and we don't really need sandstorm protection).

You mean the foam that cushions the Goggles against the face or the foam around the vents? I guessing you mean the latter of the two. I'm very curious as to what ESS have planned. I'm also very surprised that they would be catering to our market. (Happily surprised of course). ^_^

You mean the foam that cushions the Goggles against the face or the foam around the vents? I guessing you mean the latter of the two. I'm very curious as to what ESS have planned. I'm also very surprised that they would be catering to our market. (Happily surprised of course). ^_^

I would think it is the vent foam, but I have yet to actually see what they do. One of the guys in my area apparently had some trouble with a pair of turbofans he ordered, and after talking to their support people they got him set up to test it in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll get to see it soonish and I'll try to give you a heads up. I can say that removing the foam around the vent does a huge amount to reduce fogging, it took mine from fogging up just sitting around, to not fogging with a shemagh and a brisk walk (I haven't yet gotten to test it out at a game).

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that WGCShop now sells the ACM replica of the Sansei Mask. While I can't vouch for the reliability of the mesh they use (although, from my recollection it is probably fine as it is drilled steel instead of woven mesh), the upper goggle part isn't what I care about. For $5, that's pretty cheap considering you just need the lower part of the mask. So next time you place an order with WGCShop or whatever other retailer that carries these, think about spending $5 to do the mod and save your teeth! ;)

Think about it this way: Spend $5 to protect your teeth, or don't, and risk spending hundreds to thousands of dollars and significant discomfort to fix your teeth later. :rolleyes:

I just put a piece of elastic through the holes:

DSCF0295.jpg

There's an inevitable unprotected gap, but it'll work with any goggles/glasses, and still protects the teeth:

0010ars800600.jpg

Wearing ESS ICE 2.4 above, with the option to swap to Bolle X800 from the helmet...

...I tend to swap between the above and ESS Profile NVG, and Bolle Silium depending on the day/situation.

Archived