Western Arms M4 CQB-R

Hehe. Way ahead of ya:

VENT ALL OF THE GAS. Don't ask me how I know.

Remove the roll pins in the front (bb channel) of the mag and in the bottom middle to free the baseplate and front channel

Remove the pins in the top middle of the mag and the one under the bb channel

Rock the magazine guts at the top of the mag forward. Watch for the spring on the right/top of the mag under the valve lock that'll jump out. That's the only little piece in there.

Remove the seal o-rings and wind the channel with teflon tape to build up the sealing surface.

The rattle is coming from the chamber divider in the magazine. After you build up underneath the gasket/o-ring, tighten the phillips screw on the bottom of the part by the downward pointing spout. That's the part that's rattling I bet.

Just take your time and go easy with the front edge/baseplate of the mag. The plastic is fairly strong but the tabs on the bottom of the baseplate are plastic. Mine broke off because I'm a tard.

I'm glad you got that one already figured out. But dang that makes me a little mad and uneasy about the high cost of these mags if they break this easy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad you got that one already figured out. But dang that makes me a little mad and uneasy about the high cost of these mags if they break this easy.

Irritating, yes. Not broken necessarily, but you're right, the QC on the assembly of the mag is a letdown.

he he....:) you know what, for what its worth, I'm just gonna give this rifle a BIG miss.....sorry guys, but it sounds like a P.O.S.....if this is the future of GBB, I'm affraid AEGs are well and truly safe.

What a let down.

I'm not giving up on it yet...but grrrrrrrrrrrr on that mag problem.

he he....:) you know what, for what its worth, I'm just gonna give this rifle a BIG miss.....sorry guys, but it sounds like a P.O.S.....if this is the future of GBB, I'm affraid AEGs are well and truly safe.

What a let down.

It's all about what you're prepared to deal with. If you think this is a POS, try a SP16.

Edited by Wupjak

In addition, once GBBs have all the kinks worked out they are far more reliable in the long run than an AEG. Just look at all of the paintball guns or even classic airsoft guns from the early 1990s that are still bumming around. My VM-68 has never been cracked open, never cleaned and it still shoots like the day I bought it.

Hey, no doubt that GBB can be more reliable than AEGs, after all theres less to go wrong! Its not the concept thats floored, its the bumming manufacturers that do a half assed job of making them!

Many a airsmith has proved that the design can be great, so my question is why don't companies take a look at those design changes and build those features into a rifle, so that it comes out of the box as a finished product.

I won't buy this rubbish from Western Arms, not because they have a floored concept, but because I want to do my bit towards showing manufacturers that if they produce rubbish then they better have a large storeroom.

It's all about what you're prepared to deal with. If you think this is a POS, try a SP16.

Very true, for example if you're prepared to deal with a SP M16, it's a very nice gun, sure they're a hassle but then they are a classic airsoft gun that's something like 12 years old in design. Once you got the hop-up mod and 3rd o-ring in the valve they're much better - until then they're unskirmishable. The 3rd o-ring helps with consistency so the gun can shoot more than 5 rounds without sending them all over the shop . But like you say it's all about what you're prepared to deal with. Mind you the great thing about an SP is that it takes AEG mags and doesn't suffer cool down when run on HPA.

In time the gas-in-the-mag system will improve. Aftermarket kits will improve the performance & durability and maybe once someone invents a CO2 -bulb mag (with regulator) for it it'll be able to compete with the likes of an AEG. I can't help but wonder if the reason TK hasn't released his GBB rifle is because he's having some of the same issues.

Anyway until then I'll stick with my AEGs and SP.

My official recommendation to everyone now...sigh.....don't buy till replacement parts are freely out. The black round part that joins where the barrel meets the bolt just flippin broke and shot out of my gun :(

Seems just about everybody has had a problem with that breaking also. While this gun is pretty nice....the fact they all seem to be self destructing after a couple of weeks is REALLY pissing me off now.

Seconded. I love the gun, but until it's got a full selection of replacement/reinforced parts available, it's a ticking time bomb.

Not to say I'm giving up, but it's too fragile in its stock state.

Edited by Wupjak
The black round part that joins where the barrel meets the bolt just flippin broke and shot out of my gun :(

The barrel guide (part 48/49)?

I love the gun, but until it's got a full selection of replacement/reinforced parts available, it's a ticking time bomb.

Not to say I'm giving up, but it's too fragile in its stock state.

I also agree...it's a fragile gun and need upgrade parts fast (which I have a bad feeling won't be coming out anytime soon...hope I'm wrong). How much of the failures do you think can be attributed to propane? I've only used 134a and so far it hasn't been giving me too many major problems. The break in the barrel guide worries me...I don't think that's a propane vs. 134a issue.

The barrel guide (part 48/49)?

I also agree...it's a fragile gun and need upgrade parts fast (which I have a bad feeling won't be coming out anytime soon...hope I'm wrong). How much of the failures do you think can be attributed to propane? I've only used 134a and so far it hasn't been giving me too many major problems. The break in the barrel guide worries me...I don't think that's a propane vs. 134a issue.

Ya I think those are the parts.

Ya I've used 134a more than GG/Propane....and I was using 134a at the moment it broke :(

That part isn't strong enough to have a metal bolt slamming into it. It still works without the entire part on there, but ugh....

Over all I'd say almost none of the problems are really related to propane, the bolt slamming forward is basically the spring pushing it forward and shouldn't make that big of a difference with what gas is used. :( Just poor quality materials I hate to say :(

Edited by poison123
Ya I think those are the parts.

Ya I've used 134a more than GG/Propane....and I was using 134a at the moment it broke :(

That part isn't stronger enough to have a metal bolt slamming into it. It still works without the entire part on there, but ugh....

Over all I'd say almost none of the problems are really related to propane, the bolt slamming forward is basically the spring pushing it forward and should make that big of a difference with what gas is used. :( Just poor quality materials I hate to say :(

Yup, I 100% agree...the bolt is too heavy and I think it's hitting the guide too hard regardless of what gas is used. I believe the barrel socket (which is metal) is supposed to prevent the bolt from hitting the barrel guide. Only the loading nozzle should be touching the hop-up/dial set. Regardless, I agree...this part is going to be a problem.

Yup, I 100% agree...the bolt is too heavy and I think it's hitting the guide too hard regardless of what gas is used. I believe the barrel socket (which is metal) is supposed to prevent the bolt from hitting the barrel guide. Only the loading nozzle should be touching the hop-up/dial set. Regardless, I agree...this part is going to be a problem.

Note on this though: The top of that piece breaking off doesn't do anything to performance at all.

Some of us here actually like it. :wacko:

To me this is what I've always wanted, unfortunately people are gathering negative perspectives about this gun from here and spreading it to other forums. :(

This guy has alot of fun with it, and I have alot of fun watching him:

To me this is what I've always wanted, unfortunately people are gathering negative perspectives about this gun from here and spreading it to other forums. :(

I think all of us who have it on here love it, I know I do. Regardless though we are doing the right thing and letting people know the problems. The fact that all of us are having the same problems leads to a QC of the materials used.

Theres nothing unfortunate about the situation at all, IMHO, except that the poor sods who already the bought the rifle are having it literally disintergrate in their hands.

You're looking at the negative side of this! What if, due to the problems no one buys it? What if WA see a loss rather than a profit, will they stop producing the rifle?

IMO, you might be right...but then so what, if this situation leads WA to stop putting out rubbish rifles, more power to the airsofting community....not to mention, that will say alot about WA as a company (not that the current quality of rifles doesn't speak volumes in itself)......WA have two options now, as I see it, they can abandon this project OR they can go back to the drawingboard, sack their current materials selection staff, and put out a version 2 of the rifle that can actually be used for more than a couple of games.

If people like Wupjack, Poison123, etc didn't speak up about the issues, what would happen...people would be rushing out in their droves to buy this rifle, WA would be making a fat profit with little or no incentive to improve their design. I

If I'm honest, even if WA brought out a version 2 with upgraded materials and better reliability, I'd suggest to people NOT to buy it on principle. Not unless WA did a recall on their version 1 rifles and offered money back or a replacement. Why should we be guinea pigs for their R&D? Surely a company like WA could have done at least some trial to destruction testing on their product before selling it?....what this looks like to me, is another airsoft rush job....a company wanting to hold the medal for being the first in the "race" to get such a product on the market! It disgusts me.

@ Revenge Seeker

Have you actually bought this rifle yet? If the answer is NO then I would politely suggest putting some money on the table before making the statements about liking it. I like Ferraris, and its easy to do from a distance, but would I want the £1000+ service bill, the unreliablity, and poor fit and finish? probably not.

Edited by Inq Eisenhorn

Ver2 and Ver3.....hopefully some massive redesign to make parts hold up......and I'm waiting to see heavy skirmish use for the mags.....

Why should we be guinea pigs for their R&D?

You mean Classic Army's business model which ended up working out for them since "ZOMG metal body!!!!" won over the unknowing back in the day?

You mean if someone is looking for a field skirmishable replica with GBB that isn't eating itself at 3000 rounds with mags that aren't as fragile?

;)

Oh don't start darin LOL! All my comments about SP guns are directed at the stock gun as I pointed out in the foreword. Besides, [ignorant]ZOMG HOSE!!![/ignorant] :P

I have made no secret that I love this gun. The problem is that it isn't built durably enough to withstand the pounding that a reciprocating bolt creates. Bababooey pointed this out early on in the news thread. I am seeing it for myself first hand.

As much as I like the gun, it would be a disservice to the readers if I left the review as a snapshot in time and did not follow up with subsequent developments. At some point the as m4 will be a really doable option for a skirmishable weapon. 3 weeks after its release, however, it is most definitely not. I guess on the Internet people are all experts on everything. Let them say I told ya so. Who cares. Why do you think there are so many aeg m4s on the market? Because they're 'safe.' All the wannabe airsoft pundits are perched to crucify the shortcomings of an innovative product. What smart business would bother to do anything new?

Word of mouth matters in this hobby as with any other. If users burn anything new at the stake, expect to see an endless supply of the same old.

I eagerly await the availability of parts that will let this gun do its thing as it did when it came out of the box...and KEEP doing it over time.

As for replacement parts, captain hat, lemme know what you find out please.

Well, wupjack.

Your gun - does it sends BB over 160 feets? if yes - i don't see a point of discussion - the gun is reliable and in skirmishable condidtion. Bit's and parts can fly away - if the gun shoots and you able to hit the target - it's good.

Noone threw away a BMW because of tiny scratch on bumper.

PS

and i think most of discussion that WA M4 unskirmishable comes from that you have one and the only mag to play with.

I think all of us who have it on here love it, I know I do. Regardless though we are doing the right thing and letting people know the problems. The fact that all of us are having the same problems leads to a QC of the materials used.

Amen to that. And thank you. That's what I mostly wanted from this review, its cons. And so far, none of the cons really scare me...yet. The pros...well the vids speak for themselves. :D

I was about to sell all of my 4 guns (2 AEGs, a GBB, a springer) to get cash for one but it still leaves me about 200-300 bucks short. :( . I'd rather have one of these than my beloved TM M16VN, TM Deagle, or my newly purchased Dboys AK. I'll miss them but its time for better things, baby! Plus, I don't have time to do any airsofting anymore with all this college ###### so I don't really need AEGs; just something I can have fun just shooting targets. lol.

I disagree....the rifle has started to fall apart and break after three weeks....THATS what makes it unskirmishable (and the lack of mags also helps :P )

If the current owners have any respect for money they'll probably ease off using the rifle, which means at the moment vtb statement is correct.....however, what would happen if the users were to continue using the rifle in the same way it has been used for the last three weeks?.....can we assume they have seen the worse of the degradation? or will the rifle continue to fall apart until it can nolonger function?

In order to get a real idea of how bad / good this rifle is, someone needs to use it in the same way they would their AEG...

Based on the findings to date I wouldn't recommend doing this......