Western Arms M4 CQB-R

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its awesome in so many ways, it breaks down like a real M4, it has Gas Blow Back and a nice report, and it doesn't have a need for batteries or complex gearboxes......

But, if you read up on he subject, it has some pretty serious flaws......flaws that might mean this never gets you excited! but, like most things, it depends on what you want from your next rifle...

Indeed, I have been following this thread and the flaws are evident. In my rifle I like performance and feel. Maybe thats why I am not getting hyped, the two things I want in a rifle are pretty...mediocre.

However I must say when I heard it on the videos I nearly wet myself :o so nice and crisp...and that blowback, mmmmm...

I have a feeling this interest shown for GBB rifles may get other companies making them, then finally there may be an ace performing reliable one. That's when I am getting one :P .

Would love to see one of these at the skimish site...

Looks like most of the failures are from running Green Gas/Propane, which these are not designed to do.

What did people expect to happen?

GG/Propane has nothing to do with the failures. The SPRING slams the heavy steel? bolt into the zinc bolt stop and plastic circle.

It still happens with more force than it would with HFC134a. I've been reading this thread since it started - I think there's ENORMOUS potential for these to be excellent semi-auto sniper platforms, and if I didn't have a bunch of money invested in an AEG I'd put my money where my mouth is (or in this case where my fingers are).

Yes, I agree that the materials could use a bit of work, but I think that to heap distaste upon a design because you're not using it with the recommended gas is a bit silly. That's like calling the Marui M9 a useless pistol because the slide shatters on Green.

Edited by PlasticMag

Agreed PlasticMag. I share your hopes for a SA GBB SPR. Not sure what kind of sniper platform this would make on 134a, though.

In reality I never intended to use the gun with anything other than Propane. Am I surprised that the propellant with the higher pressure broke things? Nah. Am I surprised it happened so quickly? Yes.

I'll say it again, I love the little carbine. If I didn't, I wouldn't even think about throwing more money at it to shore up some of the failing stuff. I see your argument, though, that 134a would not break the internals, or make them slam together as hard. Nevertheless, the weak points have been identified and, hopefully, replacement reinforced parts will be released in short order that will forestall breakages in those areas from ever taking place.

BTW, the report is much less dramatic with the M4 length barrel. I'd attribute this to the gas having expanded much more and there being less expansion taking place as the BB reaches the end of the longer barrel. It still gets your attention, but it's not as loud.

Revenge seeker, it seems like you have been with this gun from the beginning (in the news section and all through this review), please tell me why this is so awesome, is it the blowback?

I want to share the love :P

Blowback and amount of recoil are a couple. But look at the pics in the 2nd page which I reposted from vtb of comparision with Real Steel parts. And the presumably sexy loud sound! I don't know, it just reminds me of shooting guns in GRAW.... :D Anyway I'll stop spamming this thread with my 'OMG l33t!!!' posts until I get one for myself.. which might not be too long.

2 Bits (bolt-stop and inner-ring) are only flaws as far as i understand.

Some people like to exaggerate. :P

Edited by Revenge Seeker
Blowback and amount of recoil are a couple. But look at the pics in the 2nd page which I reposted from vtb of comparision with Real Steel parts. And the presumably sexy loud sound! I don't know, it just reminds me of shooting guns in GRAW.... :D Anyway I'll stop spamming this thread with my 'OMG l33t!!!' posts until I get one for myself.. which might not be too long.

Some people like to exaggerate. :P

Btw I verified it....with the inner ring broken off at the top I gained 10fps. I think the bolt is getting a better seal now with the top part missing.

Yes, I agree that the materials could use a bit of work, but I think that to heap distaste upon a design because you're not using it with the recommended gas is a bit silly. That's like calling the Marui M9 a useless pistol because the slide shatters on Green.

thanks..thats what im thinking since this thread was started.. :)

if they do a affordable gas ak im sold :P

Once these aftermarket parts are made by someone and the gun can be structurally sound someone needs to then make a CO2 regulated powered mag - not for any extra power but so the gun can (potentially) fire off an entire mag in one burst. Would certainly peak my interest then :D

Once these aftermarket parts are made by someone and the gun can be structurally sound someone needs to then make a CO2 regulated powered mag - not for any extra power but so the gun can (potentially) fire off an entire mag in one burst. Would certainly peak my interest then :D

A *freakin'* men.

Export models of the TK M4 are supposed to have CO2 mags available for it. Maybe you should wait for those to come out... and hope that they won't suck.

The recoil on the TK looks like AEG 'recoil' in comparison to the WA. Pretty off putting for me.

Still, it's probably worth it (for me, anyhow) to hold out a bit more just to see how it compares. Hopefully that extra time the TK C8 is spending in development will show through.

After looking back into Airsoft after a long break i jumped onto WGCShop to check out whats available atm. Amazed to see an advert for one of these things, a few Y00t00b vids later and i was pretty freakin impressed. Still too expensive for me though unfortunately..

If someone could machine up full quality metal bits for everything that is plastic within the gun, would the problems be alleviated? Or is it a flaw inherent with the actual design, not the materials? Fortunately i'm in a position to have everything done for free, so it wouldn't seem like a bad investment if all it would take to get it rock solid is a few hours in the shop.

After looking back into Airsoft after a long break i jumped onto WGCShop to check out whats available atm. Amazed to see an advert for one of these things, a few Y00t00b vids later and i was pretty freakin impressed. Still too expensive for me though unfortunately..

If someone could machine up full quality metal bits for everything that is plastic within the gun, would the problems be alleviated? Or is it a flaw inherent with the actual design, not the materials? Fortunately i'm in a position to have everything done for free, so it wouldn't seem like a bad investment if all it would take to get it rock solid is a few hours in the shop.

There are two parts prone to failure.

A) the tiny bit on the bolt stop that connects with the bolt

B) the tiny plastic ring that acts a part of the hop and loading ramp

The only reason they are bad at the moment is because they are made from crappy materials that have to handle a steel bolt slamming into them. Everything else on the gun so far is handling pretty well....though there is the built quality question of the magazines..........

Took the day off from work. Decided it was time to swap out the furniture on my WA M4:

wam4smallfx1.jpg

* RS LEO stock

* RS Eotech 551

* RS Magpul MIAD with Enhanced trigger guard front strap

* RS TangoDown Carbine Stock Adapter

* RS VLTOR Front Sight

* Proud VLTOR Flash hider

* King Arms MRF-C

* G&P KAC Rear BUIS

Noticed that the upper receiver rail is pretty badly out of spec.

The Barrel Nut threads are also out of spec.

The pin in the charging handle that holds the latch in place is HUGE.

Fired off one full mag... this has possibly got to be one of the coolest airsoft guns I have ever fired. It's pretty incredible, and LOUD. I'm very impressed!

Took the day off from work. Decided it was time to swap out the furniture on my WA M4:

wam4smallfx1.jpg

* RS LEO stock

* RS Eotech 551

* RS VLTOR Front Sight

* King Arms MRF-C

* G&P KAC Rear BUIS

Fired off one full mag... this has possibly got to be one of the coolest airsoft guns I have ever fired. It's pretty incredible, and LOUD. I'm very impressed!

Looking good :)

* RS LEO stock

* RS Eotech 551

* RS VLTOR Front Sight

* King Arms MRF-C

* G&P KAC Rear BUIS

Nice looking setup. It gets your attention right away, doesn't it! :)

Please keep an eye on the hop up and bolt stop for us. What propellant are you using?

@AdrianRodgers, If you have access to a machinist, have him mill/lathe you a new hop up unit (parts 47/48), a bolt stop and perhaps a bolt carrier if he's really feeling froggy. That should hold you for quite some time.

Follow up - I found the source of the gas venting and it was nothing but, surprise, user error. I had remounted the mag/bolt seal incorrectly on the magazine. As a result there was too much friction between the bolt and the magazine seal. Duh. A two minute teardown and reset and the bolt stop deactivation lever thing works. No further problems with the function of the gun once I undid my screwup. Amazing friggin gun.