Western Arms M4 CQB-R

Ok guys this gun is NOT green gas/propane capable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a sh*t what anyone says. We need a entirely new hopup chamber made of something other than ###### plastic.

To anyone who buys one....DO NOT shoot it on GG/Propane. Sure you'll be well enough for a little while, but eventually your going to screw your self like anyone who shot a unmodded TMP on green.

I'm shelving this POS until reliable parts come out :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys this gun is NOT green gas/propane capable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a sh*t what anyone says. We need a entirely new hopup chamber made of something other than ###### plastic.

To anyone who buys one....DO NOT shoot it on GG/Propane. Sure you'll be well enough for a little while, but eventually your going to screw your self like anyone who shot a unmodded TMP on green.

I'm shelving this POS until reliable parts come out :(

Damn, now this really makes me NOT want to get one :o If I had those parts I mentioned before machined for me, would I be good to go?

Edited by Payne06
Damn, now this really makes me NOT want to get one :o If I had those parts I mentioned before machined for me, would I be good to go?

Ya. Single greatest part failure is the hopup assembly. That seems to be the source of most of the problems I'm having(outside of the mags....). I've come up with a idea and I think I can fix to a extent the broken feed area of it.

Ya. Single greatest part failure is the hopup assembly. That seems to be the source of most of the problems I'm having(outside of the mags....). I've come up with a idea and I think I can fix to a extent the broken feed area of it.

Yay!!! :) My heart just rose again! :D I am SOOOOO getting this baby now! Considering I get that part of the hop up as well as the bolt release machined from steel, then would it be relatively skirmish ready?

Also, how hard is it to take that specific part of the hop up out?

Payne, yes. It's skirmish ready out of the box. Removing the hop up is pretty straightforward. See my post a couple of pages ago where I provided instructions for swapping inner barrels.

Wow poison, sorry to hear you've fallen out of love. I understand the frustration. The hop up isn't useless. I get 220-240 feet of flat, very accurate flight out of mine (sorry Trasher, no groups. It's a great base for a DMR though, trust me). The hop does have issues, though, I grant you that.

I had magazine issues, but I tinker with everything regardless, so I just fixed the thing and it's done. Turned out there were a few issues with my magazine, none of them fatal, or catastrophic, but rather QC issues that I had to fix. One, the phillips screw that holds the anti-siphon tube in place was loose which resulted in a maddening rattle. I tightened it. Two, while I was in there I added teflon tape below the main seals at the top and bottom of the mag. Three, there was a piece of something smaller than a grain of sand on the o-ring that sealed off the magazine from the outside air and it was trickling gas out. I couldn't even see the bit of gunk until I wiped it onto a white cotton rifle barrel cleaning patch. No more issues after that. Mags seal nicely and operate perfectly.

As far as Propane, ehhhh not sure whether it's that or the fact that we're all gravitating toward heavier ammo that needs more hop up dialed in to get maximum range from the gun. The hop up breakages are related (IMHO) to dialing in too much hop, which causes an obstruction to the bore and results in jams. What happens is that a new round is trying to make its way into the chamber and cannot because the previous round can't get past the hop up arm/rubber. I had mine apart and stared at it for awhile and have a few ideas to alleviate the problem, just haven't done it yet. I think adding a cushioned bit of rubber/silicone wire jacketing to the hop up arm will alleviate the issue. Again, to restate it, when you add hop up, you're cramming a plastic arm into the path of the BB. The arm is spring loaded and has a thin sheet of rubber stretched over it, but at the end of the day I think that's a bad way to go.

When I have some time (next month I'll be freed up) I'll be dedicating some energy to creating a workaround to the hop up and testing it. Of course, I'm sure as soon as I figure something out that's useful, an aftermarket part will magically appear. Heh. Meantime, try an AEG hop up nub in between the hop up arm and the hop up rubber and see what happens. I bet the jams will lessen or disappear. You're welcome.

Edited by Wupjak

Thanks for the info Wupjak.

umm, I didn't quite understand the guy that is machning some stuff for me on the materials he was going to make parts for me from. I thought me meant he COULD do them in steel, but turns out he can only do them in brass... something about his tools and wear or something. Anyway, do you guys think that a brass hop up collar would hold up pretty well? Also, if I had that bolt catch part machined out of brass would it hold up? Also, would I need to have that little piece on the (the piece that came off of y'alls causing the bolt catch wear resulting in problems) machined bolt catch or could I bypass that part and let the bare brass take the impact?

If brass in this gun is going to be a problem, then I might find someone else that can machine stuff for me from steel.

Edited by Payne06
Thanks for the info Wupjak.

umm, I didn't quite understand the guy that is machning some stuff for me on the materials he was going to make parts for me from. I though me meant he COULD do them in steel, but turns out he can only do them in brass... something about his tools and wear or something. Anyway, do you guys think that a brass hop up collar would hold up pretty well? Also, if I had that bolt catch part machined out of brass would it hold up? Also, would I need to have that little piece on the (the piece that came off of y'alls causing the bolt catch problems) machined bolt catch or could I bypass that part and let the bare brass take the impact?

If brass in this gun is going to be a problem, then I might find someone else that can machine stuff for me from steel.

I wouldn't worry as much about the bolt catch. Brass should work for the hopup collar though. If you guy wants to make multiple I might be interested in one depending on how it works out for you.

I wouldn't worry as much about the bolt catch. Brass should work for the hopup collar though. If you guy wants to make multiple I might be interested in one depending on how it works out for you.

Sure thing man. ;) However, it might be a while though because I need to save enough to get the gun. So far, I only have like $200-$300 towards it, but then again I could always sell my highly upgraded M4 and have enough to get it then, but that's my only AEG. :D I'll keep ya updated on the parts though man because what I was gonna do, as soon as I got the gun, was remove both the hop up collar and the bolt catch, and make a replica of both on autodesk inventor and send the drawings to the guy that's machining the parts for me. He estimated that making them from brass would be around $20.00 per set, however that price isn't set in concrete so it might change. He also might increase the price if a bunch of people start wanting those parts too.

Edited by Payne06

You guys are killing me :D. I walked into Air-Borne in Shinjuku, Tokyo and the guys were showing me the M4 Carbine for USD$505, M4 CQB for $467, and spare mags were $76. It was so tempting to buy back but this hop chamber is turning me off. Probably old news but they had printouts of G&P coming up with metal receivers and replacement (hopefully reinforced!!) hammer too.

You guys are killing me :D. I walked into Air-Borne in Shinjuku, Tokyo and the guys were showing me the M4 Carbine for USD$505, M4 CQB for $467, and spare mags were $76. It was so tempting to buy back but this hop chamber is turning me off. Probably old news but they had printouts of G&P coming up with metal receivers and replacement (hopefully reinforced!!) hammer too.

76 bucks eh....I really hate the HK guys even more now.

tested mine today... filmed a hour of video - now time to edit.

Temp was +9.5C... gun at this temperature is only 30-40 meter range. Semi only. Frezzes after 10-15 shots...

But power is sitll stable for these 10-15 shots... 104-106 ms with 0.25g BB (Guarder grey ballon gas)

9337043mNT.jpg

Edited by vtb
The 2 that are leaking from tapper valve are brand new. Got them like 2 weeks ago, and maybe put 3-4 mags worth through them. :(

Do you only have the 2 mags? You're comment about how 'Everyone of my mags leak' would lead me to believe there are more. Where are the others leaking from?

Edited by AdrianRogers

WOW :o I wish I could go to Tokyo to get one as well as a BUNCH of mags

WOW :o I wish I could go to Tokyo to get one as well as a BUNCH of mags

I've got 4 total. I've fixed the one that came with it when it developed the siphon tube rattle. 2 leak from the tapper valves. The 3rd now has rattle on the inside also.

Even f'ing better. Fixed the hopup jamming problem today....and guess what the plastic bit on the front of the bolt carry broke. Now it doesn't load BB's properly and vents all the gas in the mag.

I *fruitcage* hate this pos. DO NOT shoot this gun on green/propane. It will self destruct :(

Its the plastic part inside the red:

IMG_0719-1.jpg

I've got 4 total. I've fixed the one that came with it when it developed the siphon tube rattle. 2 leak from the tapper valves. The 3rd now has rattle on the inside also.

Even f'ing better. Fixed the hopup jamming problem today....and guess what the plastic bit on the front of the bolt carry broke. Now it doesn't load BB's properly and vents all the gas in the mag.

I *fruitcage* hate this pos. DO NOT shoot this gun on green/propane. It will self destruct :(

Its the plastic part inside the red:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/d.../IMG_0719-1.jpg

Something else to add to the list of "to get machined" parts. :o Damn man, they sure as heck need to hurry up and produce some freaking upgrade/reinforced parts. Just to be on the safe side, I'll run mine on a can of that air duster stuff with an AI duster adaptor! Then, once I get the bolt catch, hop up collar, and that new piece that just broke ^ machined I MIGHT think about running it on propane. :(

Edited by Payne06
Something else to add to the list of "to get machined" parts. :o Damn man, they sure as heck need to hurry up and produce some freaking upgrade/reinforced parts. Just to be on the safe side, I'll run mine on a can of that air duster stuff with an AI duster adaptor! Then, once I get the bolt catch, hop up collar, and that new piece that just broke ^ machined I MIGHT think about running it on propane. :(

Ya, I'd say duster is perfectly safe. If the internal parts had been made from something other than cheap plastic, then they would have been able to handle GG/Propane. *shrugs* I'm gonna keep working on it and see what I can do.

Ya, I'd say duster is perfectly safe. If the internal parts had been made from something other than cheap plastic, then they would have been able to handle GG/Propane. *shrugs* I'm gonna keep working on it and see what I can do.

Alright, I'll use an air duster then. Anyway, good luck with your gun bro. Keep us updated with what you're able resolve on it.

So are there any parts out for it atm to replace the parts in it that are weak/will break?

Looking to get one soon, but only if I'm able to buy replacement parts.

Nope

---Update.

Glued the part back on and it shot off a few shots later. Plus side, evidently the gun doesn't need that part to function as the gun is working fine. Though I think its important to note you've gotta clean off any residue etc from the bolt/hop up area as it seems any build up is capable of fouling the hopup/loading ramp and causing rounds to jam the gun.

Edited by poison123
Nope

---Update.

Glued the part back on and it shot off a few shots later. Plus side, evidently the gun doesn't need that part to function as the gun is working fine. Though I think its important to note you've gotta clean off any residue etc from the bolt/hop up area as it seems any build up is capable of fouling the hopup/loading ramp and causing rounds to jam the gun.

well, at least it's firing even with that part missing. I just can't wait to get the gun!