Western Arms M4 CQB-R

I should clarify what I mean by kit. This is a 'plug-in' fitting to the gas fill port on the stock WA magazine.

The 'kit' I'm talking about will be a simple replacement for the gas fill valve to employ an external line feeding the gas magazine so I don't have to butcher a $100 magazine to convert it to external air.

I play as a Designated Marksman pretty much exclusively, so what I think will work as a DM will likely not appeal to most players. 50 rounds for me is about a whole game worth of shooting. 50 rounds at DM velocities with no cooldown is what I'm looking for. If nothing else this will showcase what the gun is capable of accuracy- and range-wise when cooldown is removed from the equation.

Edited by Wupjak
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@uscmCorps

The buffer tube I used was original Magpul tube, which comes together with the UBR and have a slightly smaller diameter of 28,2mm than MS (28,96mm) . But its really hard for me to imaginge, that commercial and milspec tubes uses different threads since they are all made for the same gun...

Yes, I know alot of RS parts, especially internal parts wont fit to the WA correctly. Thats why I want to convert everything to RS parts, including upper, lower and of course the complete internals (DPMS Tri-Burst kit...hehe). The only things, that will left AS will be the outer- and inner barrel with HU and the neccesary GBB parts on the bolt carrier (yes, the BC will be RS too...) and internals.

But ATM, I´ll stick with the WA parts until I have all needed RS gutts together, thats why I will use some G&P parts for now. Since I count with about one year (I need more spare time!!) for me to complete this project with all the heavy mods, I have no need to hurry ;)

..This is a..

Oh, well that is all that a DMR needs and its simple+reversable probably. But VTB style mod would be a real killer for a skirmisher. With blowback shooting gets so fun that the volume of fire gets silly sometimes .) Still wondering about the systema mags..

I should clarify what I mean by kit. This is a 'plug-in' fitting to the gas fill port on the stock WA magazine.

The 'kit' I'm talking about will be a simple replacement for the gas fill valve to employ an external line feeding the gas magazine so I don't have to butcher a $100 magazine to convert it to external air.

Basically like the old KWC External rig adapters? A small QD attachment for the gas hose screws in to the spot where the fill valve would normally be. I'm not too familiar with external gas rigs, but the adapters are only around $1 each and fit most of the threading for GBB fill valves. You might want to check them out if you haven't already put a lot of effort into designing your own. :)

March132008008.jpg

Played with mine today and it was very nice and fun even with only one magazine. Playing semi-only and trying to conserve ammo was interesting change compared to more sprayish play with my AEG and loads of mags. Unfortunately the hopup-chamber broke after awhile and it doesn't shoot as it should. Smashed by the bolt, no doubt.

Still, this was kinda expected, but I had hoped it would last a bit more. Just need the RA-TECH a bit quicker than I thought.

Trigger-pin is still getting loose. Fixed it sort of by just put a bit of duct-tape on both sides, that worked.

Still love the damn gun! :)

Poison123: I was using green gas, since it was a outdoors game. Got max 5 mags out of it before it broke. Was a bit hard to keep count since I usually only needed to reload half the mag or so. Maybe shot 5 mags worth before the game at home, dry-firing.

I thought the hopup behaved strangely too. Didn't seem to make any difference except at minimum and maximum, only then the bb's dropped or went up, but it still worked ok I guess. Just really hard to try to adjust when theres no difference except att min/max position. Might just need some cleaning though.

As it looks now, part of the hopup-rubber is showing, but maybe thats just some o-ring or something. It blocks the bolt making proper seal, so it vented the gas when it happened. Will take it apart later to check it out.

Some interesting new products on the horizon:

* WA M4A1 120% Hammer Spring

* WA M4A1 Multi Cocking Handle

* A Castle Nut, or as G&P refer to it WA M4A1 Pipe Ring (Don't really see a point to getting this part).

* Pipe Ring Key

* Installation Tool Set

So with a 120% Hammer Spring, would that mean that the Hammer hits the valve harder releasing more gas producing more power but also making the gas usage less efficient. Basically making cool down more likely?

... would that mean that the Hammer hits the valve harder releasing more gas producing more power...

With WA's gas system I don't think it will make that much difference since the valve is kept open until the bolt have moved back a certain distance. Possibly just a bit snappier feeling, but I think the standard spring feels quick enough. Will probably buy one anyway, if just for spare part.

Anyone know for sure there's an fps increase with +% hammer springs on WA guns? Never chronoed my old WA Infinity, neither before or after new hammer spring.

damn it! where is that bolt stop g&p!!!

One does wonder why there's a load of non critical parts emerging but not the most important one. I guess we should be happy there's atleast alot of parts emerging.

I just ordered the RA-TECH chamber for now. Checking with boomarms for a few magazines and looking around redwolf for various parts. I really want to order stuff now, but thinking about waiting for more parts arriving.. gah, damn shipping costs.

Basically like the old KWC External rig adapters? A small QD attachment for the gas hose screws in to the spot where the fill valve would normally be. I'm not too familiar with external gas rigs, but the adapters are only around $1 each and fit most of the threading for GBB fill valves. You might want to check them out if you haven't already put a lot of effort into designing your own. :)

(photo)

Similar to that, yes. The WA has a very long fill valve assembly and the threads are very fine as well as being recessed a ways into the body of the magazine. Going to take some effort. I know when I'm outmatched, so I handed it off to the machinist. :)

Hows the lube? If not that check the internals on the bolt carrier and make sure the spring isn't hosed.

part 13 (spring in blowbackchamber) is in place.

lube is ok...

but rubber on magazine blocks blowback chamber from moving back been freezed a bit after 10-15 rapid shots - it's looks like spring 13 is loosened...

I'm lost...

part 13 (spring in blowbackchamber) is in place.

lube is ok...

but rubber on magazine blocks blowback chamber from moving back been freezed a bit after 10-15 rapid shots - it's looks like spring 13 is loosened...

I'm lost...

Have you disassembled your magazine? If so, you may have reassembled the top bit out of alignment (as I did once). If the top plate of the magazine is not aligned correctly, the seal you're talking about will sit too high and not allow the bolt to move freely. I had the same issue and took out the two hex screws on top of the magazine, removed that plate, reset the plate correctly and it worked fine after.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I did see an external adapter plug for the magazines being sold in Japan. I haven't seen it in person yet and I have absolutely no details...I'll try to get more information.

damn it! where is that bolt stop g&p!!!

Agreed, why can't they put out the part that needs replacement. None of those G&P parts are on my list of items to get. Sucks for us.

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a bit. After a 4 year hiatus from airsoft (due to the lack of realism in a supposed realism-based game), I came back to find the WA M4a1 just released. Needless to say I placed my order the same day and have been basking in the WA goodness :D

Does anyone know if it's safe to use gun oil on the WA m4a1 (Just a light coating on the bolt/recoil buffer/hammer...No idea if it'll break down rubber so I'll keep it away from the hop-up/mags)?

post-53179-1213737967_thumb.jpg

Btw, the airsoft surgeon 140% recoil spring and bolt buffer is amazing :) . The recoil is now greater than my .22LR Ruger 10-22.

Edited by Epic Lulz
Where do you work because they must be paying you too much :)

Under paid if anything. Then again... I work 6 or 7 days a week 15+/- hours a day on average, usually on *suitcasey* movies that nobody watches. So there isn't a whole lot of gratification there.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use gun oil on the WA m4a1 (Just a light coating on the bolt/recoil buffer/hammer...No idea if it'll break down rubber so I'll keep it away from the hop-up/mags)?

Can't help you there dude. Personally, I'd stick with whatever the manufacturer suggested in the first place (i.e. silicone oil).

Btw, the airsoft surgeon 140% recoil spring and bolt buffer is amazing :) . The recoil is now greater than my .22LR Ruger 10-22.

I'm definitely installing the bolt buffer but that spring has me nervous. We're seeing enough breakages as is with a relatively stock setup + GG. What differences have you noticed so far with the 140% recoil spring (aside from greater recoil obviously)?

Edited by uscmCorps

Hi guys,

Well, I've taken the jump and ordered my WA M4a1.

This will be my first major purchase in a couple of years due to the fact that nothing really new has taken my interest, until now.

It seems that despite a few weak parts, this gun is going to reinvigorate the game. Hopefully, with sufficient support from third party manufacturers, the gun will have legs (looking good so far).

Once mine arrives it will be transformed into an LWRC M6. However, I'd be grateful if someone could clarify the following:

Buffer tube will take RS stocks, but what about airsoft versions? (i.e CA Crane etc)

RS RIS/RAS's fit with Wujpak's suggested O-ring mod but airsoft copies fit OK?

Do airsoft copies of buffer tube sling adaptors fit OK?

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I did search but no joy)

Anyway, once the one piece barrel and 368mm PDI inner have been fitted, it sounds like I should have a UK skirmishable piece just using HF134 to save the internals until reinforced parts appear.

Number 47