Painting a stripped pistol

Smith5

Hi all

Im planing on removing the paint from my G26 to have a silver slide and outer barrel. Ill be doing it chemically using Nitromors or some other paint stripper from Homebase or B&Q. My only concern is that once I have removed the paint, if I dont like it, what will be the best way to re-paint it?

Will the stripping agents leave any lasting residue on the slide and outer barrel that could prevent subsequent paint from adhering as well. Otherwise, I was going to use car spray paint to repaint it. Does this all sound ok and like it would work?

Thanks

Hi all

Im planing on removing the paint from my G26 to have a silver slide and outer barrel. Ill be doing it chemically using Nitromors or some other paint stripper from Homebase or B&Q. My only concern is that once I have removed the paint, if I dont like it, what will be the best way to re-paint it?

Will the stripping agents leave any lasting residue on the slide and outer barrel that could prevent subsequent paint from adhering as well. Otherwise, I was going to use car spray paint to repaint it. Does this all sound ok and like it would work?

Thanks

It'll be fine. I stripped and sanded my G19 down using a paint thinner, then painted it with some black Krylon paint and stripped it again. Just be sure to strip it, and sand it down and rinse/wipe it down with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol or the paint won't adhere properly. Also, paint a really thin coat and repeat as opposed to trying to cover every inch the first time. Paint, sand, wash, paint sand wash and repeat. A tip that I learned for the last coat is to have a hot shower running for a little bit and spray paint in the bathroom after you turn the shower off. That makes all the little dust particles steamy and fall to the ground, instead of floating around, waiting to stick onto a freshly painted surface.

Archived