custom fit mask

heroshark

I've made a few custom masks using hockey masks .I have found them to be very effective ,but the only problem I've found with them is the shape and fit is not always great <_< .

Whilst doing some research I came across various vintage fiberglass hockey mask sites. Unfortunatly they are all around the $300 mark, so I've decided to make one myself one. I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTIsYLI55_k , http://www.vintagegoaliemasks.com/history.php , http://www.thcvintagemask.com/specs.html ,& http://www.classicmask.com/themaskmaking/themaskmaking.htm were all usefull sources of infomation.

I bought mod roc http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ModRoc-Plaster-of-Pa...1742.m153.l1262 and 5KG of plaster of paris £10. Which was enough to mould and cast my face ,and my girl friends tits :D .I spent about £40 on the fiberglass,epoxy,diolon cloth ,and moulding plastercine .Which I got from http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/faq.php. I have never made anything out of fiberglass before ,and they've helped me alot so far.

Thus far I have only a rough cast of my face ,as I've only just orderd my fiberglass and bits .I'll get some pics up asap :)

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a mask that fits well and you decide not to make one, id recommend the OBO Faceoff mask, although its a bit costly at around 40-50quid in the UK. It has the look of the vintage masks but is really comfy and fits my face very well. I bought it for my heat loadout which the team never did...i still love it though...so badass with a suit, body armour and an m733

Cant wait for pics, i think i remember seeing some of your other masks in the army of two thread and they were great!

I do realise there is such a mask ,but it conforms to who evers face they molded it from :huh: . Anyhow it is not my intention too have the whole mask as my face is .The mouth guard will be raised away from my mouth down from my nose ,and the sides will go further back on my head past the ears .Much like a classic hockey mask. You could make one like that though ,and it would be recognisable as you. That OBO Faceoff mask is like some sort of Hanibal Lecter bug face. Definatly different. I hope for mine to look a little more menacing though :D . What eye protection do you use with it?

Now for a little bit about the mold. You'll need an assistant for this first bit. I chose my lovely girlfriend :wub: . Now what I did was have a close shave, cover my face and hair in vasiline. My hair is short if yours is long use a stocking .Now have everything set out something to protect the floor, modroc bandage chopped into 6-9inch lengths, bowl of water ,And an assistant who has an idea of what you want them to do. The basic idea is to work fast ,Do a smooth neat first layer ,get an even number of layers all over ,and not cover your nose and mouth :waggle: .Straws can help but I just told her to leave holes, then I covererd them over afterwards, As I dont need that area to be accurate. By the time you get the last layer on ,It should be ready to take off. Plug the nose and mouth holes. Leave it to dry for an hour. Now coat the inside with vasiline and its ready to pour. Get the modroc mold somewhere stable ,Mix up your plaster good n proper ,then pour. Once again the plaster will set very quickly ,about 15min and your ready to cut it free :) .

Now heres some pics .You can see what I mean by a close shave ,and having an assistant with idea of what you want. She didn't quite go as far back as I would have liked :unsure: ,but I'll deal with it.

Under it i used a pair of bolle safety glasses or a pair of bolle spider sunglasses depending on the situation. I modded the foam around the nose area of the mask to allow glasses to be worn comfortably. If its close cqb, ill wear a gum shield aswell, but as you can imagine it becomes quite difficult to talk and communicate with one of those in. Ive considered the idea of mesh covering the mouth and eye holes from the inside, but havent got round to it yet.

Now the plug/male mold. First I set a table up in the workshop at work . Then I got a couple of lumps stone and cemented them together, then my face mold on top. I had to use the cement to make the face mold level an symetrical, as you'll see in the pic . Then I built the sides up below the face mold, making sure that its all even and flares outwards so the fiberglass mold comes off easy. To do this I used clay that I dug out the ground. Then card ,and hardboard to clad it, with a bit of good old gaffer tape wrapped round to finish it off n hold it all together. Now for the good bit . Forming the shape of the face mask. For this I used plasticine .When applying the plasticine you cover the whole mold with a thin layer ,to make a little clearance. Then create the shape, and smooth out any seams .I modeled mine on a Bernie Parent hockey mask, because its low profile . So I'll have agood cheek weld ,and looks cool as imo :D .Also they use this mask in LA take down, the original version of heat. To finish it I'll have to seal it with coat of varnish. Now the plug is ready to go :D

I covered my plug in tin foil in the end, after a chat with eastcoast fiberglass .I did my first 3 laminates today . It didn't go well :( . The sheets broke up on application .The diolon cloth didn't shape well to the mold. I ended up chopping slits in it to make it lay right ,but Ive learn't what I'm mean't to do ,and I'll get the next bit right .I'm also making back plate too now I've decided. I hope the next bit goes a bit smoother :unsure: .

right my mask seems to have escaped tradgedy :) .It had a few air pockets witch I cut out with a knife, them I patched it up and did my next 3 laminates. Theis pics are of after i trimmed it and cut the air pockets out, Before I did the 2nd laminate, witch went a hell of alot better :D

Your problems are coming from using fiberglass mat. You need to get some fiberglass cloth, it will be woven like course linen. The cloth with move and mold to your shape 100 times easier than the mat will, mat is usually used on large relatively flat panels.

Your problems are coming from using fiberglass mat. You need to get some fiberglass cloth, it will be woven like course linen. The cloth with move and mold to your shape 100 times easier than the mat will, mat is usually used on large relatively flat panels.

cheers. I'll keep that in mind for next time :) . Anyhow I'm nearly there now. I got to it this morning and all is well, so I neatened up the edges and sanded it ready for its last layer. I cut and shaped some mesh for the visor too. This afternoon I added my last layer .I used pressed leaves .Leaves? I hear you say .Yes leaves :D .

very interesting.. would like to order one with my own face moulded :rolleyes: .. have you tried hitting it full burst at point blank?? just curious

I haven't yet .If the drilling and cutting is any thing to go by, Its built like a brick privy :o

Yeah great, but its not finished yet, isnt it?

I would try to sanf it a bit and paint it in some camo pattern :)

Is that net final? I wouldnt try to use it in any airsoft game :S

Good job anyway :)

As far as the finish goes, I like it the way it is. The leaves did loose some of their vibrance

during the mattifying process .I find the earthy/rough look to it is good :) .I don't

do polished, its not my thing. Heres some close ups.

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

The mesh I use is very safe imo. I've recomended it to many players

and they have never had a problem. Heres quotes from a couple of AA members.

Cool yeah, fitting the mesh is straight forward. I've got some really strong speaker mesh. My mates doing the same thing just a different design and we fitted the mesh over the wkend. He's shot it from close range and it withstood the battering. Although the close range shot did dent the mask (shell) but that just adds to the character.

Finished glueing in the mesh last nite. So im gonna add some detailing to the paint work over the next few days.

I'll add some new news when im complete and then let u know how it performs in my skirmish over the wkend.

Oh my god, how the hell did you manage to cut this thing ?

I received it yesterday, and took it to the test : full auto at point blank with my ICS MP5, not a single scratch.

I also shot it with my 500+ fps sniper rifle : just a little dent. Rock solid !

Then tried to cut it with my cheap tool, forget about it, not even a nick...

Anyway ,I can wear my V12's with it if I find it nessary

I got some more pics to show you .I've done a bit of a design on my mask , & some better initials on the back plate .I found some popper buttons for the straps too. The only thing I'm waiting for now is the padding, but thats not gonna affect the look of it greatly so I thought I'd put pics up now.

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Archived