custom fit mask

heroshark

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...There was a player at a game I went to a few months back (Finmere Airsoft) who wore a plain pale green full face-shaped mask. It was simple and smooth, with just two small holes for the eyes and it just looked so creepy it was unreal.

I kept catching glimpses of it in the woods, it seemed to be staring directly at me each time, emotionless, it was really unnerving :unsure: ...

Looked like one of these...

Cactus Hobbies masks...

Looked like one of these...

Cactus Hobbies masks...

I'll be producing some one size fits all ones soon .One will be a sykes style one ,But with better materials .Male & female version(can't miss out the girls).Avalable with or without meshed eyes. The other will be a similar shape to my last one .With a mesh visor. And option of being useable with a helmet or not .I may even do an army of two one.

that last mask is the *suitcase* man, looks totally wicked

cheers :D

I finaly had a chance to test my mesh to destruction today .A guy at the skirmish today had a hot m4 .400fps ,so I borrowed it (he wasn't allowed to use it btw).The other day I had made some mesh lenses for my ess advancers which I don't realy use ,so they were sacrificed . I put the barrel right against the mesh ,and fired full auto with 0.2's. It took 10 rounds approx before penetraiting the mesh.

I should have took a picture but I popped it out an threw it away without thinking.Basically it had a bb size hole in it :D .When I got home I tried my rifle 330fps aug ,to see what that would do. Same again barrel right against the mesh full auto 0.2's. This is what it looked like after about 100 rounds approx ( I would have shot it more but my battery ran out)

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

In conclusion .I'm still very happy to use the mesh as a UK player, as its highly unlikely to come across rifles that powerfull in UK skirmish feilds .And even less likely that your gonna get a rifle pushed up against you eye protection and fired in one concentrated spot .I think most would move out the way pretty sharpish, in such a situation. And imo the 330fps test is pretty conclusive that its safe for UK limits :) .

• 2 weeks later...
I finally received the mesh sent to me by heroshark

Any suggestions on how to cut it?

I am thinking it might be a bit thick for my tin snips so i might have to buy some more discs for my dremel

I was gonna pm you yesterday, and ask if you got it yet :D I cut it with tin snips :)

Can you make these with carbon fibre cloth? and would it make them lighter?

another member on here has made one with carbon fiber .I wouldn't know if its lighter though :rolleyes: .I would be more brittel though ,and would not be easy to lay up on a complicated mold

YAYIWANTONE!!!

Was one of the reasons i decided against a sykes mask afterall :D

can't have you looking like action man :D

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/stor...43_264_265.html

Is that the stuff you use? If so how much would be needed for a face would you say?

Many thanks.

yep ,2 meters should do you. I cut mine into 50x50cm squares .That should do you ,depends how thick you want your mask ,and how bigger area you need to cover .I'd say a minimum of 4 layers of cloth .A real hockey mask has 12 so that gives you an idea :) .

How does this stuff scrub up once its set? can you polish it?

if you want a polished finish .Gel coat it .Theres gelcoat on that site too in various colours .Sand the final cut mask .Apply the gelcoat, allow time to cure .Sand each coat of the gel coat too ,not the final coat though :rolleyes: .That should be tough and shiny :D

Cheers pal, may have a crack at this :D When applying the cloth do you have to do one layer lengthways, then the next layer the other way? (If that makes sense)

I do one square onto the mold then the next diamond shape onto the mold ,alternating ,if that makes sense , :D

Archived