custom fit mask

heroshark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm making a mask for a friend of mine :) .

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

I realise it looks a bit out of shape on the details ,but I had paint on my hands when I was making it ,which throws it off. Its actualy fairly even. The idea is i'll cut slots into the tops of the ridges over the mouth.

Coming long nicely. Are you using the fibreglass cloth instead of the mat as Dobey suggested last time? It looks a lot neater.

matt and twill weave cloth (best stuff for detailed contours apparantly) .It has 12 layers alternating .Its a bit of an over kill realy .I could have used half ,thats how much is used in a proper hockey mask ,it could stop a high speed puck .I tell you its bloody rock solid .

DSC00185.jpg

heres it is in the early stages of painting last night .I did get alot further with it ,but I messed it up today trying to get the right finsh :( .So its back to the drawing board .I'll have it finished soon then I'll have to give it away :unsure: ,but I realy like it .Even if it doesn't fit me at all .I can see me making alot of masks for myself :rolleyes: .I'll have one for every occasion :D .And maybe alot for other people too if it catches on :)

sweeet.

are the grills in the mouthpiece of the 2nd mask small enuf to stop BBs going in?

there 5mm .At a push ,if you hit bang on close up with a powerfull gun ,it might. The velocity would be greatly reduced though . Who I made it for has never worn masks before ,so hes not too bothered about face hits. This mask has more of an asthectic value .You'll also notice the ear area is cut out, and the visor area is smaller. Its all up to the wearer, and how they want it :) .

cool. I've never worn masks and seldom gone with face protection myself. been hit in the face b4 at close range, bled too, but doesnt really bother me. However, did get a balaclava just to protect teeth.

anyways those are some really kewl masks. how long on average does each one take from start to finish and how much is the material cost?

cool. I've never worn masks and seldom gone with face protection myself. been hit in the face b4 at close range, bled too, but doesnt really bother me. However, did get a balaclava just to protect teeth.

anyways those are some really kewl masks. how long on average does each one take from start to finish and how much is the material cost?

mold & mask materials about £70-100 depending on what materials, and how much you need. and about 5-7 hours ,depending on the finish.

would anyone have any idea where i can source some of that metal mesh in the US?

All the speaker grills i can find are either too flimsy or the holes are too big

Buy some cheap (like, a fiver) masks of eBay, the plastic is rubbish and it falls apart but the mesh is sound.

I've never had to prouve the strength of my masks. I'd be quite happy to take a 100 rounds to prouve it .I've always worn masks like this, And more often than not get hit in the face. Anyway rated eye protection can be worn with the mesh removed, if needs be .I personaly preffer mesh, as long as its good stuff. As far as cost goes something thats custom built & fit to your specification is never gonna be cheap.

I really like the look of the latest mask good work, though i would love to see some one skirm in the bright green mask lol.

A while back I was messing around trying to mod a cheapo Halloween hockey mask with some fiber glass sheets. the mask itsel died a horrible death, but the two layers of fiberglass I laid actually stood up to my A&K SAW quite well.

I am thinking I may go back and try something a bit more artistic, and probably a bit more demonic :devil:

would you reckon one might be able to get away with simply using a mannequin head as the base for the mask mold instead of making a mold of my sin ugly face?

Also what would you think of the idea of molding the mask over a set of low profile goggles, since all the fields around me require ANSI rated goggles and disallow mesh eye cover of any type? plus i need them for the prescription inserts too.

And is there anyway you could post a picture of the fiber sheets before they have the acrylic added i want to see if you are using something similar to what i used, i.e. a boat/car repair kit.

btw here are the a for mentioned goggles and sin ugly face

th_DSCF0233.jpg

I really like the look of the latest mask good work, though i would love to see some one skirm in the bright green mask lol.

A while back I was messing around trying to mod a cheapo Halloween hockey mask with some fiber glass sheets. the mask itsel died a horrible death, but the two layers of fiberglass I laid actually stood up to my A&K SAW quite well.

I am thinking I may go back and try something a bit more artistic, and probably a bit more demonic :devil:

would you reckon one might be able to get away with simply using a mannequin head as the base for the mask mold instead of making a mold of my sin ugly face?

Also what would you think of the idea of molding the mask over a set of low profile goggles, since all the fields around me require ANSI rated goggles and disallow mesh eye cover of any type? plus i need them for the prescription inserts too.

And is there anyway you could post a picture of the fiber sheets before they have the acrylic added i want to see if you are using something similar to what i used, i.e. a boat/car repair kit.

btw here are the a for mentioned goggles and sin ugly face

th_DSCF0233.jpg

I would recomend making a plaster mold of your face realy. Those maiquin heads are a very unrealistic shape .Making a mold would be just as cheap ,and fun too :D .As you can see from my 2 masks ,the dimentions of the head and face vary alot. Anyway you have a very nice face ,I've seen worse :) . The main thing about having a mold is to get the shape around the eye area ,so you have the best vision possible .The rest of the mask is up to you .Once you've layed up the mask ,and its ready to shape and cut.Take off the plasticine so its back to your face shape ,and put your goggles on it .You then have the best guide to cut too .Rather than testing it on your face ,as fiberglass dust is horrible itchy stuff :( .Thats assuming your mask will come cleanly off the mold .You can buy mold release , but I found tin foil smeared with vasiline very good and cheap .the cloth I'll be using from now on will be twill weave cloth ,and chopped strand matt which I think is what you might have which would be fine just not as neat. The epoxyresin I use is for boats .So I assume what you have is probably similar.

Archived