custom fit mask

heroshark

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feed back I'm getting from the majority of people is, the new mask is better :rolleyes: . And we can't have the mask maker in an inferior mask <_< . So I'm making myself another .Now personaly I quite like my first :( ,but I can imagine it'll be quite hot in summer .So this project will be my summer mask.

I was inspired by a thread about an idea of making a full mesh mask .Where someone was saying how making your own mask was foolish, and no site would let you use it .So I said I would make one to prouve him wrong .In the end he did a 180 and bought a fencing mask to try. Which was good, but imo didn't look that great ;) .

Also on that note I pm'ed the guy I sold my customised mylec mask .I asked him if his site let him use it , how safe he feels in it ,and how hes getting on with it ,this is what I got back.

"Im loving the mask mate, its utterly badass and scary. *ukara site* had no problem with me using it, the mesh feels very strong(much more so than a regular mesh mask) and i feel quite safe wearing it.

Ta, *name*"

I would like to test my masks against some different brands of mesh mask to see how they compare. Unfortunatly I don't have the money to burn ,destroying masks .I dare say mine would be far stronger .Yet the mass produced masks would be widely used on many skirmish sites across the uk :huh: .

Although my mask will not be 100% mesh .It will be a fiberglass frame work for the mesh to sit in .So I've made the mold and started laying up, but the heat doesn't agree with my epoxy unfortunatly ,and its setting very quickly .So I've had to order some slow setting stuff .I'm not gonna bore you with all the process .I'll just put a pic up when its done :D

just a thought here, why not do the ridged toothy design you're doing on this mask, but cut out the recesses and line them with mesh. i reckon that would produce kind of a cool looking effect, like either a knights helm or (if you made the rest of the mask look human enough) kinda like the bit on the matrix where neo's mouth is sealed shut but its ripping open in parts when he trys to open his mouth.

if that made ANY sense.

same effect could be used on other areas of skin that would be pulled taught with a war face :) could look like some sort of semi decaying undead solider mid war-cry

just a thought here, why not do the ridged toothy design you're doing on this mask, but cut out the recesses and line them with mesh. i reckon that would produce kind of a cool looking effect, like either a knights helm or (if you made the rest of the mask look human enough) kinda like the bit on the matrix where neo's mouth is sealed shut but its ripping open in parts when he trys to open his mouth.

if that made ANY sense.

same effect could be used on other areas of skin that would be pulled taught with a war face :) could look like some sort of semi decaying undead solider mid war-cry

I know what you mean. That would look good. I've started this one for now .Its not gonna look like the second .It didn't suit my face :rolleyes: .Although it does contain aspects of it. But its something to keep in mind ,cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, they just keep getting better.

On the two longer designs, do you have a hard time with using iron sights on rifles? Seems like it might get in the way the same way a gas mask might.

People get squeemish with mesh, but I used mesh exclusively for a long time and never had any problems, even with close range hits. Not to say it couldn't happen, I just don't find it very likely at all. I'd reason it's more likely to take a bb in the eye from an oblique shot to regular shooting glasses.

Steve

Thanks guys :D . The mesh is realy realy strong. It'll take 500fps sniper pointblank ,or 350fps full auto without a dent .I would like to test it with higher ,to find its breaking point .But it would be illegal to make a gun that powerfull in the uk .I have sent some mesh to a US member Because he can't find anything like it .So I guess its hard to come by. Although there is a company called bitter end in the US who make mesh goggles ,with similar a mesh to mine .So I guess its available some where. Using iron sights ,and scopes are fine with all the masks I've made so far.

cheers guys ,I'd love to make more, I just need some more customers :D . This is the first one I've done with seperate eye holes on . So I secured the eye mesh with screws then epoxy ,as I'm not gonna remove them for goggles at any point .I always thought the seperate eyes restricted the vision but after a chat with another aa member about his meshed sykes, I thought I would try it. Needless to say it works great not as good is a full visor but dam near. Talking about the sykes .I found a review http://www.ampair.net/e107_plugins/forum/f....php?35576.last .The guy managed to shoot through it .Looks like the material they make them with is chopped strand matte ,and not alot of it by the thickness. I recon I could make a face formed mask much stronger and just as thin ;)

Yeah I have one of the Army of Two Masks from Cactus hobby and I would be very worried about actually using it in the field.

And since I am the guy Hershark sent some of the mess to and we dont have laws limiting out fps here i will be more them happy to put the mesh through its paces once i receive it.

I would throughly test the mesh and mask before i attempt to use it

Yeah I have one of the Army of Two Masks from Cactus hobby and I would be very worried about actually using it in the field.

And since I am the guy Hershark sent some of the mess to and we dont have laws limiting out fps here i will be more them happy to put the mesh through its paces once i receive it.

I would throughly test the mesh and mask before i attempt to use it

unfortunatly the mesh I sent you is a smaller guage from the mesh I use, if you remember.I think the mesh I sent you would easily take 700fps ,but doesn't give very good visibility so its only good for vents. Are those ao2 masks as thin as the sykes?

Great work HS! ;)

There was a player at a game I went to a few months back (Finmere Airsoft) who wore a plain pale green full face-shaped mask. It was simple and smooth, with just two small holes for the eyes and it just looked so creepy it was unreal.

I kept catching glimpses of it in the woods, it seemed to be staring directly at me each time, emotionless, it was really unnerving :unsure: .

Can I just ask, is taking a moulding of the face neccessary?

Does it sit right up against the face?

If I were to do one I think I'd be inclined to make it like a welder's flip-up mask, mounted on a headband.

Edit; By the way, did you notice how much protection the guy in the 'making the hockey mask' video was wearing when working with the fibreglass cloth?

You don't want to get any of those fibres in your lungs (or skin for that matter) if you can possibly avoid it.

unfortunatly the mesh I sent you is a smaller guage from the mesh I use, if you remember.I think the mesh I sent you would easily take 700fps ,but doesn't give very good visibility so its only good for vents. Are those ao2 masks as thin as the sykes?

I have not seen one of the sykes masks in person but I imagine it cant be too different.

I will get some profile of my AO2 mask and post em.

Great work HS! ;)

There was a player at a game I went to a few months back (Finmere Airsoft) who wore a plain pale green full face-shaped mask. It was simple and smooth, with just two small holes for the eyes and it just looked so creepy it was unreal.

I kept catching glimpses of it in the woods, it seemed to be staring directly at me each time, emotionless, it was really unnerving :unsure: .

Can I just ask, is taking a moulding of the face neccessary?

Does it sit right up against the face?

If I were to do one I think I'd be inclined to make it like a welder's flip-up mask, mounted on a headband.

Edit; By the way, did you notice how much protection the guy in the 'making the hockey mask' video was wearing when working with the fibreglass cloth?

You don't want to get any of those fibres in your lungs (or skin for that matter) if you can possibly avoid it.

thanks doc :) .I find the face mold face mold gives you a good guide so the mask is as low profile as possible ,and a good fit. The main area where it sits against is around the eyes so theres no interference with your vision .I'm sure you could make one without though. If you were to do that you might want to sculpt the plug/mold ,then use paiper mache to make a mock up to check the fit. That flip up idea sounds interesting ,maybe a full on medieval helmet :rolleyes: . Although it might be a bit warm. Yeah protective gear is a must with this stuff, I dont wear as much as that though.

Thanks sid .I've since seen pics showing the edge of those ao2 masks an they are the same. I guess their made with 2-3 layers of chopped strand matte ,and alot of resin .Which adds no strength .And its pressed in a two part mold . They would stop most strikes ,not sure about close hit from an upgraded sniper .Athougth that shouldn't happen ,theres always accidents. I can,t see them standing the test of time :huh: .

Yea looking at it the mask is pretty thin. Good thing I didn't actually buy it for airsoft use.

Its not really a matter of whether or not the up close sniper hit should or shouldn't happen in game. The root of the matter is they say their product will stop the round, and it obviously is not built to the standards they say it is.

but the heat doesn't agree with my epoxy unfortunatly ,and its setting very quickly .So I've had to order some slow setting stuff .I'm not gonna bore you with all the process .I'll just put a pic up when its done :D

I would definitely not be bored by the process, any chance you could go into more detail on the fibreglassing. Been trying and failing for years to work fibreglass succesfully. What resin are you using and how do you go about sealing it without causing itching etc.

Superb post, so informative on many aspects, have you made any more sculptures with the modroc female moulds? Theres a good one you can do with matches that looks beautifull when finished, or perhaps some concrete ones for the garden similar to Roman busts?

I would definitely not be bored by the process, any chance you could go into more detail on the fibreglassing. Been trying and failing for years to work fibreglass succesfully. What resin are you using and how do you go about sealing it without causing itching etc.

Superb post, so informative on many aspects, have you made any more sculptures with the modroc female moulds? Theres a good one you can do with matches that looks beautifull when finished, or perhaps some concrete ones for the garden similar to Roman busts?

from what I've learn't so far .I use slow setting west system epoxy. It is vertually odourless once fully set ,and gives you longer to work the air bubbles out your cloth when laying up .The epoxy also seals the cloth imo, which is not as irritating as matte. If you do find it irritating, seal the finished mask with gel-coat .Plus the final paint and varnish seal it too. The cloth I use is twill weave glass cloth ,its thinner, lighter, & stronger than chopped strand matte . My last mask had 7 layers .6 cloth layers and 1 matte in the middle which was quite adiquate .My previous one had 12 layers. Starting with matte alernating with cloth which is the same as a hockey mask .I can stand on it, and it comfortably supports my weight (12 stone).Which is probably a bit ott. You could probably get away with 4 layers of cloth at the least .Once I have my mold ready ,I cover it with tin foil smeared with vasiline as a release ,so your mask will come off the plug/mold .You can buy release agents, but this is cheaper. Also make sure your plug isn't too complicated and flares outwards ,so the plug will come out the mask when set .The way I lay up is different from most mask makers ,they wet out the cloth with the resin then lay it on the mold then shape it to the plug. I lay the cloth on dry then starting from the nose working out stipple the cloth with the resin loaded brush .Shaping it as I go working out the air bubbles, layer by layer . If I do a matte layer ,I tear it into peices to lay it ,as its not as good at shaping to the mold. And thats the laying up part anyway.

My buddy who I made the 2nd mask for ,came back for a skirmish this weekend

(he works abroard) .Hes finally got to try his mask out. I'm very happy to say he

loves it, and it fits great. He said it far better than his goggles, even better

than what he imagined ,and well worth the money. Which is great :D . Heres

the army of poo as I've branded us, not a very flattering name I know. I guess

we'll have to work on it :rolleyes: .

DSC00230.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
They look amazing, all of them.

heh, the third mask reminds me of the death masks in the Resident Evil Remake

cheers :) , haven't seen the latest residend evil film ,if thats what you mean.

My girlfriend thinks it looks like the masks the foot clan have in turtles :D

Archived