custom fit mask

heroshark

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just recieved my heroshark mask and damn pleased with it! Crappy laptop cam doesn't do it justice, the top layer is shemagh which gives it an awesome mottled look :)

Great pic, pitty you can't play in that :D

That's quite a nice half-mask. :)

I've got an order in myself.. even though it'll take a month, since i understand that there are other things more important than making masks , i'm still giddy waiting for it. ^_^

should have it out the end of this week mate :)

Just like to add -

I had Hero make me mesh lenses for my Wiley X SG-1s and a Skull Design Half face mask.

Custom made Wiley X Lenses - 10/10

- There is no better eye protection in airsoft that doesnt fog! Absolutley amazing, perfect vision even in extreme low light situations, full eye protection. Got shot in the eye at least 8 times @300 - 350 fps, not even a small dent.

Custom Fit Half Face Mask - 9/10

- Exellent. Fits perfectly to my face and allows the SG1s to sit above perfectly not having any gap between glasses and mask yet does not interfer with the glasses what so ever.

Very secure fit, holds on tight even when running around. Easy to shoulder a weapon, Rilfe or SMG and easy to aim down the sights but still solid protection. Even really easy to talk, enough room to move your chin up and down. Shock absorbing. Point blank to the face could barley feel it.

The reason why its 9/10 not 10/10 is because the mask was too close to my face needed some internal padding to move it further from my mouth. Which is done so now its the best thing ive ever bought.

After 4 years of trying and testing different glasses, goggles, full masks, half masks and god knows what else. The mask is the best for face protection and the mesh goggles are exellent.

19/20 - Bloody Exellent.

Highly reccomended. Exellent service and contact throughout.

Picture -

IMG_9374.jpg

(p.s i did the 'paintjob', could be better but u know its gunna get shot!)

the mask was too close to my face needed some internal padding to move it further from my mouth.

(p.s i did the 'paintjob', could be better but u know its gunna get shot!)

I like it bud ,It works well :) .Just to add ,I don't pad the half masks because its better for the customer to do .I may get it wrong ,then you would only have to take it out anyway. Everybodys different so what suits one person may not be right for another.

Cheers :)

Yup i realised that, lol. Therefore 10/10 Goggles 10/10 Mask.

Nothing better.

On another note.

One thing i thought of which may be worth looking into was a 'Sniper/Marksman Mask'. One thats not only fitted to the face but also to the cheek rest of a rifle to allow near perfect aiming.

Just a thought.. :D

finally did the fiber glass today, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out, hopefully the drunks don't fruitcage with it.

DSC01974.jpg

Goal was a mask to wear over goggles, so it could be taken off with out removing them for longer games. Existing solution of the bottom of a PB mask just was not doing it.

KM

finally did the fiber glass today, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out, hopefully the drunks don't fruitcage with it.

Goal was a mask to wear over goggles, so it could be taken off with out removing them for longer games. Existing solution of the bottom of a PB mask just was not doing it.

KM

good work km, can't wait to see your finished mask :)

Hey people. Been following this thread for some time now and the other week decided "to hell with it ill give it a shot too". But due to a distinct lack of imagination ive decided to base my first mask somewhat heavily on the non-skull army of two mask. ;) (or at least my version of it. Basically identical with a few small aesthetic changes) Snore i know :P

After seeing that so many people have so much talent (and i do heartily congratulate everyone on here because every mask ive seen so far ive gone "cor i wish i could make one look that good!") I was wondering what people have been using for securing the mask to the head. It seems the general idea is to use what i can assume is elasticated straps threaded through two slits cut in the mask and secured in place with one of those plastic grip stops. Then using clips to allow it to come off.

Also i may have COMPLETELY missed it but what do you use to cut through the fiberglass once its set in order to cut out the eye holes and/or designs?

Finally, when applying the fiberglass cloth, when you place it over the entire mask do you cut out a section of the cloth for rounded surfaces such as the forehead? or do you just "stretch it over" so to speak.

Many thanks in advance and really admiring everyones work.

I use a drill to do a rough cut, then various files to finish the holes. I did have a dremmel but it died very quickly ,although they are ok for finishing holes. If you use it to do the whole job you'll kill it very quickly .The ammout of HSS drill bits I get through is testiment to the strengh of the material. As for the cloth I use whole sheets. Sometimes I'll add bits to strengthen areas on the inner layers, but generally its whole sheets. Not to say its wrong to use bits ,but the first an last layer look better as whole sheets .Unless your gonna re-finish the surface of the mask.

Thankyou guys! Somewhat good news cos i have drill, but i believe a B&Q trip is in order for some metal files :P

I was thinking to use whole sheets on all the layers but memories of having to cut slits in fabrics to get them to cover a curved surface popped back up from year 9 d&t haha. Just finished a few tests playing around with some fiberglass and resin cos ive never used it before . I have managed to make the entire garden now smell like resin though :D

And oh my days at the pred! My instant words were "*several swear words* that cant be real" that looks astounding!

ALSO! Just had a brainwave at 2am! Was trying to think of a release agent other than using tin foil as that could end up with less detail or creases on some moulds. And, just an idea, would silicone gun spray work as a release agent? as in spraying it on the mould before resin and fiberglass is applied.

my man has just completed thes babies

the top Face is connected by magnets to the base face

sold it on egay for £600

He mentioned this when chatted with him a good while ago now ,Thats great. He makes a fine mold indeed :)

ALSO! Just had a brainwave at 2am! Was trying to think of a release agent other than using tin foil as that could end up with less detail or creases on some moulds. And, just an idea, would silicone gun spray work as a release agent? as in spraying it on the mould before resin and fiberglass is applied.

duno maybe .I use foil with release wax on generaly .Depends On the mold

Thankyou for the advice! Thought seeing as ive been asking for advice its only fair to actualy show what ive managed to achieve.

post-15065-1267905042_thumb.jpg

Finished the fiberglassing today. Looks a bit squint because the final layer decided that its edges didnt want to stick down so some of the edges look as if theyre in the wrong place, as well as the black guide lines on the glass decided to move about :P . Got one or two air pockets as well that managed to resurface every time i tried to pop them down, little buggers.

Think im going to wait until the morning before I take the scissors and sandpaper to it. Any advice on dealing with air pockets or finishes would be appreciated.

Those pesky air pockets <_< . I see your excess cloth is on the deck. If you cut it so its not touching ,or raise your mold higher so the cloth hangs .It'll help eliminate the bottom edges coming away. You can always fix minor voids around the edge with a bit of epoxy and a clamp. As for your air pockets .Cut them out with a sharp stanley and sand the area flat. Patch each area .Allow to dry ,and sand again. If you going for a flat finish keep sanding. If your after a weave finish you'll have to add another final layer ,and try not to get voids again. That I can't realy help with, other than saying work them out from the center .You just get a feel for it over time. No doubt you'll be making more anyhow ,when you decide theres something not quite right .I know I did and have more ideas in the pipe line :)

It was rather annoying i must say as id stipple the fiberglass, then an air pocket would appear. Id restipple it and it would come back bigger :angry: evil little buggers. I don't seem to have any on the sides of the mask where the excess cloth is, theres a few on the "face" of the thing.

I can see what you mean about addictive :P already decided on my next design. Seems im going with a computer game theme, saw a mate of mine playing on metal gear 4 the other day, and the raging raven mask ive taken a fancy to :o Really complex design but its definately makeable.

post-15065-1267912798_thumb.jpg

But back to my current one, im going to sand it down now, fix any air pockets i can, then take it down to a smooth finish, trying to keep the edges defined still. Paint design is going to be a black background with a red digi camo in matt colours.

post-15065-1267913377_thumb.jpg

Awesome work- unfortunately mine did not come out so well- the goggles got moved too much in the laying process and are to socketed into the fiberglass to be able to readily remove the mask in field to eat while keeping eye pro on. I'm going to give it another try in a few weeks.

Proof of concept wise- awesome, but I need to work on my plug a bit...

KM

Archived