custom fit mask

heroshark

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome work- unfortunately mine did not come out so well- the goggles got moved too much in the laying process and are to socketed into the fiberglass to be able to readily remove the mask in field to eat while keeping eye pro on. I'm going to give it another try in a few weeks.

Proof of concept wise- awesome, but I need to work on my plug a bit...

KM

put a bit of cardboard or something round the goggles to pad out the sides a bit, should leave a bit more room to remove the mask.

great idea btw.

Awesome work- unfortunately mine did not come out so well- the goggles got moved too much in the laying process and are to socketed into the fiberglass to be able to readily remove the mask in field to eat while keeping eye pro on. I'm going to give it another try in a few weeks.

Proof of concept wise- awesome, but I need to work on my plug a bit...

KM

The thing with the goggles is it'll always clamp around the goggles as they taper out . What I would do is layup the top half of mask without the goggles. Cut an upper half mask that goes along the top of the goggle ,and down the sides. Then lay up a lower half. Also without the goggles, with the upper protected on the mold so they perfectly over lap .Then cut your lower to the botom line of the goggle ,and have studs to connect the two halfs of the mask so its easily removable.

Ive just finished drilling the eyes and strap slots, and ive got about another hours worth of sanding to do before its to the kinda finish i want. Anybody got any suggestions on what to do to prep the surface of the fiberglass?

And ive only made a single slot in the mask to put the strapping through. Ive got ladderlocks as well as the 2 slot lock things, so how does one go about securing the strapping to the mask?

EDIT: Also just thought, Is it a good idea to once the mask has been made and painted to do a coat of PVA (the white paste stuff) on the inside of the mask and let it dry to give it a softer inside surface? (So its not varnished paint)

Many thanks, Tam.

Ive just finished drilling the eyes and strap slots, and ive got about another hours worth of sanding to do before its to the kinda finish i want. Anybody got any suggestions on what to do to prep the surface of the fiberglass?

And ive only made a single slot in the mask to put the strapping through. Ive got ladderlocks as well as the 2 slot lock things, so how does one go about securing the strapping to the mask?

EDIT: Also just thought, Is it a good idea to once the mask has been made and painted to do a coat of PVA (the white paste stuff) on the inside of the mask and let it dry to give it a softer inside surface? (So its not varnished paint)

Many thanks, Tam.

the sanding is prep, it'll help key the paint to the surface. Strap wise if your using single slots. Just put the strap through the slot ,put on the buckle ,thread the excess strap back through the slot ,and that should hold it. Like this.

DSC01036.jpg

I just paint mine then add padding .I would imagine with a bit of hot sweat you would get a very sticky face if you used pva. You can get a4 sheets of thin foam ,if you wanted to line the whole mask.

Thankyou, been trying to figure out that for a long while now :P Just got the one coat of sanding left to do now before prelim base coat goes on.

By the way, what would you reccomend for stencils for a digicam design (home made i mean). Ive got enough masking tape to do it, but how to get a complex squares design out of masking tape im not sure can be done. Because of the nature of the painting i was going to do a basecoat of gloss red, then put on the squares designs in either tape or vinyl, and do a sprayover with black matte.

i was going to do the base coat black and do cutout stencils, but unfortunately the bright red doesnt seem to like being put on top of the dark black. (as is kinda expected).

Many thanks, Tam.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally finished my take on the Salem Army of Two mask! Decided against the digicam idea in the end and went with some striped idea I had instead. Need to sort out the straps to get the eyes dead on line and i also need to mesh the inside of the eyes but other than that thats it.

P.s. excuse the hair :P

post-15065-12717330949632_thumb.jpg post-15065-12717330979796_thumb.jpg

post-15065-1271733100806_thumb.jpg post-15065-12717330742224_thumb.jpg

post-15065-12717330829228_thumb.jpg post-15065-12717330887381_thumb.jpg

Finally finished my take on the Salem Army of Two mask! Decided against the digicam idea in the end and went with some striped idea I had instead. Need to sort out the straps to get the eyes dead on line and i also need to mesh the inside of the eyes but other than that thats it.

P.s. excuse the hair :P

nice work .I like the hair makes you look derranged :) .

Got a new mask .This is pretty much it bar all the buckles will be 5cm further back.

Without the side sheilds.

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01259.jpg

With the side sheilds.

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

One side sheild can be removed for use with a radio head set.

Video here .The gun is 350fps .Yes it does dent, but when do you ever expect to get shot like that .And the dents do push out easily.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk283/heroshark/?action=view&current=MOV01254.flv

The video kills my firefox, but just going by the pics, it looks like a very well done piece. Do the side guards push the ear in? If so, how does that feel over time?

there are domed out so not on me .But if they did all you would have to do is dome it further .Its easily tweaked by the user.

HS, that looks great. The strap setup is much better and cleaner too. Well done.

I like the GF's expression in this picture:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk283/heroshark/DSC01264.jpg

It's the same mine gives me sometimes. It says, "Jesus, enough already. Time to focus on ME!!!" :D

Can the mesh over the nose be bent out more for people with larger/longer noses?

I like how it protects the ears now. Hows the new version like to aim down a stock with?

Good ,I can use my ak74 irons without any trouble ,which are about as low as you get.

HS, that looks great. The strap setup is much better and cleaner too. Well done.

I like the GF's expression in this picture:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk283/heroshark/DSC01264.jpg

It's the same mine gives me sometimes. It says, "Jesus, enough already. Time to focus on ME!!!" :D

Can the mesh over the nose be bent out more for people with larger/longer noses?

She was critiquing my photography :rolleyes: .The mask is fairly pliable so yes.

I like the new design. What is the price going to be like?

witout postage ,£30 for the base mask ,£60 for one with the sides sheild (£45 if you just want one side sheild)

Archived