Airsoft Innovations - Tornado Grenade Released

orca

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAMMIT!!!! Apparently they arrived today, but with a COD charge of $23.73 and my room-mate wasn't home at the time :( Plus, I didn't get home until after 7pm so I couldn't call UPS and switch deliver to a will call at the local office :( :( :( Hopefully the room-mate's home tomorrow.

Concerning the demads for a spoon on the grenade. An alternative to a loose spoon that get lost or a fixed spoon that would cause potential injury would bee a large rectangular button on the side of the grenade. Somewhat in the stile of the grip saftey on a m1911. Such a button wold be much easier to do player safe and harder to damage it could even be covered by the rubber coating. However there still is the problem of finding internal space for the button and how to link it to the delay.

Myself i dont se the absense of the spoon as a problem at all and many grenades have had none. one example is the german "potato mashers". i just had to share the idea i got.

Just had to say I'm VERY impressed with them so far. Haven't used them in a game yet, that'll be in two weeks ;) Hopefully we'll get a chance to use them in anger then :D I do hope spare reset keys & pins will be available for purchase, though. I can see those getting lost, though I plan on tethering them to my gear.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I just wanted to say how cool it is that we (a consumer population) can connect and communicate directly with the manufactures on this forum. I find it very exciting that we have such a "close" relationship with manufactures and distributors. It is something unique that I wish would happen more often.

That being said, it's really impressive how much testing, research and thought you put into this design, AI. It is refreshing to see a company make something that is intended for function more than looks in airsoft, while still achieving an attractive design. I commend you, and hope that your design doesn't get ripped off. These look boss, and I'm hoping to pick up on of these bad oscars in the immediate future.

Thanks SigPro. It was a difficult choice to stray away from making products that replicated real steel and concentrate on function. At some point we realized that the reason grenades look like grenades was that they happen to look that way when they're supposed to explode into a terrifying blast of schrapnel never to be recovered and reassembled into a working grenade. Simulating the function in a non lethal and reusable manner required a significant departure from the look of a real frag because the shape of a frag doesn't lend itself to becoming a reusable and effective non lethal simulator.

There are several pretty good looking grenade simulators which aren't particularly effective. I'm not able to compete on their level of looks or price (manufacturing in Canada) so I have to take a different design direction with my products and push the practical aspects of a grenade design.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used mine for a couple games now. It is a great product especially for bunker busting (I mainly play woodsball). The fear factor alone is worth it. Lol, once people know what it is, you can throw it without loading it up and still have it be effective for clearing an area.

This past Saturday was the first game at the Ft. Ord field near Monterey, California, that had Tornados implemented by players. I had two, two of my team mates had one each, and there were at least 4 others on the field with them. I don't know about the other folks with them, but we used 'em to great effect. At one point we could've used more grenades, as what we had wasn't enough for the building we were seizing (8-10 rooms per floor, two floors). Overall, I think we deployed them btwn 6 - 8 times in combat.

We were also talking constantly to folks about them, particularly once they'd seen them used or been victims of them, and we demo'd them for about 15 - 20 people. If you don't get some more orders from the Monterey & Bay Area of California in the next few days, I'd be *highly* surprised. They were a huge hit.

Here's a pic with one of the D.O.A. guys carrying a few (don't know if I would recommend this particular method :P ):

http://deborahcarrion.smugmug.com/gallery/...9867_L7TJH-A-LB

Eventually I'll order more. They were *awesome*! Excellent job A.I.!!!

Jesse

Here's a pic with one of the D.O.A. guys carrying a few (don't know if I would recommend this particular method :P ):

I'm just wondering, is that pic copyrighted? I can't seem to tell. :P

Hey Jesse,

One thing I did notice so far is that given the amount of pressure imposed on the pin by the valve, and the relatively tight tolerances of the pin and pin hole, you need to be conscientious about the angle you pull the pin out at. If not straight out, it could catch during pulling the pin. Don't know if the player in your pics really had that setup in game, but for anyone else thinking of trying it, I'd recommend aiming for good clean pulls using two hands (one on the grenade, the other on the pin). ;)

-Alex

Man the lighting on that pic looks so photoshop. I've been trying the carabiner carry, but I can't recommend it. I've been doodling around with a pistol hold with my pistol in my right with the right middle finger wrapped through a grenade ring. The left hand supports the right holding a grenade so I can insta deploy a grenade by punching forward with the left.

Devastating deployment for room clearing. Anything really interesting happens and I punch a grenade into a room and start my roll into cover. It kind of messes with mag changes though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived