Aussie Vietnam Loadout

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're interested in the Aussie SAS in Vietnam, I highly recommend the memoir Behind Enemy Lines by Terry O'Farrell.

In terms of clothing, you're probably looking at either greens, some sort of splotch camouflage that I can't identify, or tigerstripe. According to O'Farrel, tigerstripe wasn't as popular among Aussies as it was among their American counterparts.

Weapons were either heavy-barreled select-fire SLR's, M-16's, M-79's, M60's and the occasional CAR-15. A version of the select-fire SLR equipped with a XM-148 grenade launcher and a barrel cut down just after the front sight was known as "The *badgeress*."

ETA: I think the greens were slightly different, but I'm not entirely sure.

Said Bombchucka:

l1a2xm148uf5no6.jpg

Also, with weapons, I believe they also used silenced stens (MkVI), Owen guns, Sterlings and F1's (sterling variant with mag on top).

I occasionaly do an Aussie Vietnam loadout when called on for themed games- it's very similair to the African merc look. If anyone does know about the OG's, that would be very handy- I'm fairly sure there was a commonwealth Jungle set from the 50's/60's, but I don't know what they're called. Again, the Af. mercs wore them back in the day.

-matt

Weapons choice for Aussie SAS include M16, SLR, including a full auto version and a cut down as mentioned above, M60 with butt removed and pistol style foregrip added, Stoner weapons system in various guises, M203 with shotgun type rounds loaded for ambush situations, Colt Commando, early red dot type sights, and claymores. Lots of claymores..

Belt order was a mix of M14 ammo pouches, Pat 58 'SAS' ammo pouches, and Aussie butt packs and yoke.

I believe they had two types of camouflage suits - wet and dry season. The wet one looks very much like their own take on tiger stripe and dry looks like a regular leaf pattern like the US. Regular units wore OG which closely resemble the British jungle suits of the day and could be the same. I can't tell. Cam cream was very important as was camming weapons and kit.

Note that Aussie SAS were very effective in Nam. In 5 years they lost one man KIA and only 27 wounded..

Also, with weapons, I believe they also used silenced stens (MkVI), Owen guns, Sterlings and F1's (sterling variant with mag on top).

I occasionaly do an Aussie Vietnam loadout when called on for themed games- it's very similair to the African merc look. If anyone does know about the OG's, that would be very handy- I'm fairly sure there was a commonwealth Jungle set from the 50's/60's, but I don't know what they're called. Again, the Af. mercs wore them back in the day.

-matt

Thanks for the picture - is that a BREN or L1A2 mag?

O'Farrell says that his patrol would carry a suppressed Sterling in case a smaller than desired group of VC wandered into an ambush. He also says that one guy used it to shoot a monkey that was stealing their rucksacks.

As for uniforms, I did find one up for sale. Those better versed than I in Commonwealth uniforms could probably tell if it's the same or different from the Brit jungle greens: http://www.baymil.com/Home/tabid/529/Categ...27/Default.aspx

Nice.. shame about the size- I've been after one for a while.

Also, the Aussie SAS used the 5 man patrol instead of the conventional 4 man from the previous jungle conflicts.

A brilliant series to watch on the Australian side of the Vietnam conflict is 'Vietnam' with a young Nicole Kidman and others. I remember watching it when it came out and recently got it on DVD. Fantastic.. And Grace Parr (playing a Vietnamese bird) is niiiiice.. B)

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/product.asp?PND=116349

Nice.. shame about the size- I've been after one for a while.

Also, the Aussie SAS used the 5 man patrol instead of the conventional 4 man from the previous jungle conflicts.

A brilliant series to watch on the Australian side of the Vietnam conflict is 'Vietnam' with a young Nicole Kidman and others. I remember watching it when it came out and recently got it on DVD. Fantastic.. And Grace Parr (playing a Vietnamese bird) is niiiiice.. B)

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/product.asp?PND=116349

Seems worthwhile. :D

Does anyone know a good place for pictures of Australians in the Vietnam conflict?

Here's a great thread over at MP.net. It covers all conflicts, but there are some good VN pictures in there:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...stralia+vietnam

here is a pic of aus sas in nam.

as u can see there are wering erdl which many tropers "borowed" they also have a mix of us and aus kit and wepons.

aussasuo5.jpg

also a pic of some aus troops with tracker dogs yet adain mix of us and aus wepons and kit.

2trackersjz5.jpg

martin

I too am intrested in putting together a Aussie Vietnam Loadout. The Ospery book Vietnam ANZACs is superb for inspiration. Things like them getting them using the US webbing and putting A infront of the US markings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1841767026..._pt#reader-link

That book is the cat's meow.

You can use issue Aussie gear up until 1988 when they started issuing the DPCU.

One of the hardest things to get I found was the Pixie shirt that was only in use until about 1975.

Check a surplus store called AUSSIE DISPOSALS. They ship world wide.

The boots needed are the GP Highmark. In a pinch you can use Canadian Mk3s. Australia copied the Canadian boot.

Don't forget the "Raincoat, psychological", excellent kit ;)

If you are looking for the shirt that they used to wear check for the Yakka brand from OZ

Style 07503 comes very close to the Australian army shirt except that it does not have the epaulettes.

Trousers are still available.

You are looking for Jungle Force

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listPr...OUSERS+MILITARY

hats:

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listPr...DWEAR/BUSH+HATS

Aussies also wore British bush hats, distinguishale by their larger mesh eyelets.

boots:

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/HM4010

There is virtually no difference to the issue stuff.

I have several impressions of the Aussies.

I tried to keep the time frame 1969-1970 when 7 RAR and 1SQN SASR were on Rotation.

7RAR

Yakka shirt

Jungleforce trousers

Jungle force hat with ID lace

Helmet M1 with dense netting ( actually Canadian but it it exactly the same)

GP boots

until I get my hands on the new King Arms L1A1 I am using the FN FAL and the Tanaka Browning

Webbing is the M56 webbelt with 2 enlarged universal mag pouches, 2 waterbottle carriers, commo line, toggle rope ( 8ft), FFD pouch, camouflage shelter carrier, SLR bayonet, raincoat, large pack, sleeping bag, 3pce mattress, mess kit, thin shelter half

PRC25

1SASR

ERDL suit ( NCHS repro)

ERDL hat,clipped

US Jungle boots ( Wellco)

Nomex flight gloves with the fingers cut off

M16VN and M79

Webbing is the M56 webbelt with 37 pattern pouches dyed emergency green, small bum bag of indeterminate nature, 2 US canteens.

Currently, I am working on the AATTV impression, wich should be relatively simple.

2nd pattern US jungle fatigues

Jungle boots

commando green beret

AATTV patch

44 pattern belt, Browning

Glad to be of service.

It took me about 3 yrs to get my kit together.

Oh, btw the Kiwis actually used the British Malayan jungle uniform until about 1966. That one can be found at What Price Glory, a WW2 store.

The website on Digger History is a real goldmine as well.

Porkchop - where did you get the repro ERDL?

Also, how are things looking in terms of a FAL/SLR? I know that the KA one doesn't have the proper furniture for an Aussie SLR but I've also heard that the internals aren't the greatest. The furniture I can deal with but the internals do give me pause.

I'm thinking about that route as it would also let me do a proper SADF (and possibly Rhodie) kit without spending $700+ on a Galil, which is more than the real thing.

Well, the ERDL ( green dominant) is from NCHS. ( National Capital Historical Sales)

They do have the big sizes for buggers like me.

www.NCHSINC.COM

You have to be very careful with it, though. DO NOT under any circumstance wash it in warm or hot water. Because it is a cotton uniform it will shrink two sizes if you do. COLD WATER only and do not put it in the dryer.

Haven't checked if they are still around but they were at least willing to ship to Canada which is not always the case.

Regarding the FAL.

For my money the KA G1 is the best FAL out there. Mine shoots very consistent and has better accuracy than the legendary M14 from TM.

Had a chance to take a gander at the Star L1A1 and the CA DSA 58. they are nice but I am sticking with king Arms. Mag compatibility is also an issue.

Actually, 3 days ago KA released the L1A1. This will be a much better option for us Aussie fans. Technically, we have to replace the stock, pistol grip and fore grip with wood but the flash hider already projects a proper image.

I'll be getting mine ASAP.

BTW, not sure if you are aware but Tanaka has released the Inglis Browning a while back. Now, it does have some Canadian specific markings but they are not obvious. As such this pistol is perfectly suited for Commonwealth impressions of all kinds.

Hmm. I'm looking at Redwolf and the SLR is over $200 more than the G1. It looks more financially viable to get the G1 and just give it SLR furniture (I'd be doing it anyway if I went for wood). You also keep the select-fire capability, and that could come in handy if you wanted to reproduce "The *badgeress*," or just a standard L1A2.

Archived