Aussie Vietnam Loadout

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was quite a few Brits down there either with the Antipodeans or with the 147 odd Intel officers that just happened to be in the area....

BTW, watched The Odd Angry Shot last week, which is a very good Aussie film made about the SASR in 'Nam.

Wyatt my old school mate's father served out there - attached to the Kiwis - he even wrote a book about it smile.gif

name of book please i hope you know where this is going :D plus watch out for some more old skool brit stuff heading your way from me :D

name of book please i hope you know where this is going :D plus watch out for some more old skool brit stuff heading your way from me :D

Here's a link on amazon, quite pricey & out of print, so It may be worth scouring the net!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Her-Majestys-Vietnam-Soldier-Bransby/dp/1854211676/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280759163&sr=8-2

Getting my Aussie kit out this weekend for IC8, pics to follow!

Ohh, that is real purty.

I like the pilot survival knife, and the late war pack, real OZ that.

Great, the large universal pouches

I take it, that that is a British bush cap cut down?

The sling looks to be a Brit SLR sling as well. Looks the bees knees.

Now, where did you find the FFD?

And how did you manage to cram a 77 set into the pack?

Love the whole SASR look.

Bravo Zulu

Hey Pork-Chop

Thanks for the positive comments! Sadly I forgot to put on my SLR bandolier for the pics!

1.) You guessed correctly regarding the bush hat and SLR sling - both are British.

2.) The FFD came from an old surplus store in London years ago, sadly I think it's closed down and now-a-days I can only find the smaller ones.

3.) The webbing is a full set of Oz made M56, 2x SLR pouches, Yoke, Buttpack, 2 x canteens & 2 x compass/Bandage pouches. To which I've added M203 pouches (cut from grenadier vest,) a strobe pouch and a pilot survival knife.

4.) The large late war Oz pack has 2 x 1 quart canteens, 1 x 2 quart canteen, antenna bag and contains a PRC9/10 (not quite a 77 sadly - but it looks the part!)

cheers again

Red

Aus3.jpg

Oz561.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi to all,

I am planning on doing an Aussie Tunnel Rat impression but so far i have hit a few walls.

Firstly i planned to use a mix of 58 and 44 Brit pattern webbing (i have 44 suspenders on a 58 belt in place of the 58 mag pouches and a 58 patt holster) but i am not sure what to use to hold my 1911A1 (primary) mags in. I was thinking the M56 pouches for the 1911A1 but with 58 pattern hooks instead of the M56 mounting system. Is that possible and authentic?

Also my clothing, i am trying to find some sort of clothing to wear but am not sure what to go for to keep it period (or if not closely period) any suggestions?

'FireKnife'

I'd stick to the stock US M56 pistol mag pouches.

There's never really been a issue of pistol mag pouches in British webbing systems (minus some WW2 ones for 1911s and High-Powers, but they were never on widespread issue), so begged/borrowed/stolen M56 pouches would be the way to go as I don't believe the Aussies produced a home-grown version.

I had a feeling that would be the answer as i have found HP pouches for 58 webbing but they are either out of stock or woefully expensive.

Think i will just stick to the M56 ones then. Now to look at clothing and a plae to buy the M56 pouches, all the site i have found that stock them don't show the back..

'FireKnife'

Fireknife, stick to US M56 style if you can't get Aussie M56 pattern ;)

The sets were virtually identical; in fact the ANZACs were issued through the US supply chain initially. It was not unusual to see British '44 pattern pouches chucked in early on, dyed "emergency green".

Later in the War the Australians developed their own web gear based directly on US M56... there were differences, especially concerning the pouches for the L1A1 magazines as these pouches were much larger than the US equivalents. I'll find some ref pics for you, and I'm sure others have some too.

If you want to carry a spare mag for your handgun then try to find either an Australian or Canadian Browning holster; they have a magazine pouch on the front of them.

Try to avoid '58 pattern if you can... odds and sods may have been used but there is little evidence of this.

Hope this helps!

Ray, you are on... if I weren't with SEAL Team 1 at IC9 I would be begging a spot on your Squad mate :D

A couple of mine...

Theese nice too... :D But your ARs are the top painted period guns I've ever seen.:blink:

@FireKnife: try M56 webbing on ebay.de. They are many times much more cheaper, than from ebay.co.uk, an postage is lower than from US...;)(I bought later pattern 56' belt+suspenders+butt-pack from Kansas, for 20$, but postage was 40$:angry:).

But they are not so common there so you must be patient.

Archived