M500 shotguns questions

Mr.Hyde

Hey guys,

I am interested in picking up a gas shotgun. I had a TM SPAS 12, and it broke so I rather not get another spring shotgun. Plus I love gas guns, and the M500 is one of my favorite shotguns along with the SPAS 12.

So I was looking, and found that the pistol grip shorty M500s come with a heat shield, which I love the look of. I cannot see myself having the full length without one. I had the "shorty" SPAS 12, and I would like something I can shoulder. I plan on using it as a primary anyway.

Now I love the price of the ACM M500s, but are they worth buying? I have read that many have broken, are the newer ones improved or should I expect it to break soon.

I have the money for the Marushin, but I also want a thompson in addition to the shotgun. Currently, I am leaning toward buying the marushin later after this round of purchases. Opinions on this would be helpful.

Then I have NO idea about where to buy a heat shield for the full length gun. I also dont know if it will fit or not. Anyone put a heat shield on a M500 before?

Hello may i interduce myself I'm Skullie and i'm from the UK

I have one of the Both elephent Gas M500's and their good weapons, but like most chinese guns the QC is poor, i had to completly strip down to the last nut and bolt as the gas parts were full of swarf and it coursed it to leak like a sieve. but once i clean it out and put it back togeather (use thread lock as they all work loose)

now it's an excellent weapon, i have the 8mm version, but i've been told the 6mm one is discontuned as it has reliablity issues, so if you want a 6mm one get it now there won't ba any more coming.

also to anwser to the heat sheild i've fitted one to mine, i used the ATI heat sheild from http://www.combathunting.com which is a real steel part designed for the mossenburg M500 and will fit it perfectly, you will have to bend the front tabs to get the screws though.

hope this is of some use to you

M500018.jpg

M500019.jpg

M500015.jpg

i've added a couple pics so you can see how the heat sheild looks fitted.

:rolleyes: Hay skullie, didnt know you were on arnies ;)

Anyway the best advice for the m500s is get the 8mm version and take good care of the rubbers in the gun (may need checking when you get it). As for where to get parts for it i'd look on google as there is a lots more shops selling parts in the US at probably cheaper prices,just combathunting is the only one that will ship to the UK...

I've read that these fire more than one bb at a time, but no-one seems to agree on how many, so...

...how many rounds are fired per "shot"?

...how is this achieved, does it have 3 barrels like the TM, or just one?

I'm particularly interested in the 6mm version, but answers for the 8mm will be of interest too.

Thanks.

I've read that these fire more than one bb at a time, but no-one seems to agree on how many, so...

...how many rounds are fired per "shot"?

...how is this achieved, does it have 3 barrels like the TM, or just one?

I'm particularly interested in the 6mm version, but answers for the 8mm will be of interest too.

Thanks.

The 8mm version fires 3 bbs (1 bb per barrel), the 6mm was ment to fire 5 down 3 barrels but it didnt do it very well so it seems to be discontinued

No no no, both guns have one barrel. The 8mm fires 3 bbs out of one barrel and the 6mm fires 5 bbs through one barrel. Please do not say things like that unless you know for sure. I have had both 8mm and 6mm for some time now and there is no reason the 6mm is any worse than the 8mm. The loading of several BBs is achieved by a rotating chamber which rotates downwards to line up with the feed tube when the pump is pulled back. When the pump is pushed forwards the chamber rotates up and aligns with the barrel. ONE barrel. The 8mm version has a crappy hop up and the 6mm version has no hop up but that can be fixed.

@ Skullie: That's a great help, thank you.

So the BE seems to be a good gun, but I may have to tear it down. I am good with gas internals, so that should not be a problem.

Here's the thing though, I am an external freak. I just got a RS type 97, and I will se myself having trouble going back to a clone. Are the externals on the marushin a lot better, or just a little bit?

@ Skullie: That's a great help, thank you.

So the BE seems to be a good gun, but I may have to tear it down. I am good with gas internals, so that should not be a problem.

Here's the thing though, I am an external freak. I just got a RS type 97, and I will se myself having trouble going back to a clone. Are the externals on the marushin a lot better, or just a little bit?

The External finish is acceptible for £119 gun, it won't be upto the finish of it more expensive counterpart, but mine is a working gun and i skermish with it regularly, so it gets marks on it any way.

it does only have one barrel for both models, and i can confirm it's ment to fire 3 for the 8mm but i sometimes i only get 2, and 5 for the 6mm model, i'd only run it on green gas / propane as 134a is too weak (in the uk climate anyway).

The hop up on the 8mm can be fixed easily, by cutting up a guarder hop up bucking with the dimple in it, to the size of the oringel bucking and reassemble the gun, fire it and adjust until you get the terjectory you want, you'll have to remove the outer barrel to adjust the hop. but maximum range is about 30yards for 8mm i can't say for the 6mm as i don't have one

but you'll find with time the buck will bed in and you'll have to turn it back a bit.

No no no, both guns have one barrel. The 8mm fires 3 bbs out of one barrel and the 6mm fires 5 bbs through one barrel. Please do not say things like that unless you know for sure. I have had both 8mm and 6mm for some time now and there is no reason the 6mm is any worse than the 8mm. The loading of several BBs is achieved by a rotating chamber which rotates downwards to line up with the feed tube when the pump is pulled back. When the pump is pushed forwards the chamber rotates up and aligns with the barrel. ONE barrel. The 8mm version has a crappy hop up and the 6mm version has no hop up but that can be fixed.

So if the 6mm has no hop up whats the range like with 5 bbs? as i would imagin it to be rubbish then as i was just about to buy one but these comments are certainly changing my mind.

I have recently acquired a brand new 6mm ACM M500 shorty, Bought it for £130 from Airsoft Armoury.

Out of the box, my first impressions are that its a very solid piece of kit, the majority of it is made of metal components.

As it has been said it is loaded by placing bb's in to a rotating cylinder held inside the feed tube. The cylinder consists of 3 loading tubes that hold approximately 50 bb's each. It fires a 5 bb's at a time.

Now the big question, range and accuracy. It fire approx. 25m with a spread of about 50cm to 100cm depending on the wind.

Overall a very impressive piece of kit.

Hope this is of help.

Now that's very interesting to hear that the 6mm model doesn't have a hop unit. Have people taken down their guns and physically looked at the inner barrel to confirm that, or are they just guessing?

I used to own a Marushin 6mm shotgun, but I spoke to several other people and they confirmed that their 6mm shotguns DID have hop units...

now it's an excellent weapon, i have the 8mm version, but i've been told the 6mm one is discontuned as it has reliablity issues, so if you want a 6mm one get it now there won't ba any more coming.

Skullie, where did you read the 6mm version is going to be discontinued?

Skullie, where did you read the 6mm version is going to be discontinued?

I was on the RSOV Web and the 6mm's had discontinued, it was also said by a member of my club that the 6mm was more prone to blockages so was being drop.

i just checked RSOV now, there back again but only in black and not in chrome, they've also added some shorty's to the range in 8mm a 6mm :D which is better for CQB as the full length one is restrictive inside buildings.

so i stand corrected ;)

Skullie, I am deeming you the master of ACM M500s. All ACM M500s must bow in respect lol.

I think I will pick up a shorty and full 8mm after my thompson and MP5K craze. Yes I know the 6mm has a better spread, but the 8mm is epic ^_^.

One last thing, these do shoot as hard as the marushin right? so like 320 FPS on green gas with 3 .34 8mm BBs?

...One last thing, these do shoot as hard as the marushin right? so like 320 FPS on green gas with 3 .34 8mm BBs?

Now, this is worrying me, are they really this "hot"...

...I want to use one for CQB at a site with an absolute max of 328fps...

...and might want to use it sub-300fps.

Will it be any use for my requirements?

Edit to clarify:

The above fps's are set for 0.2g (6mm) so are obviously lower for heavier projectiles.

If you want lower FPS then use duster gas. That should fit your bill perfect.

I want to use mine in woodland to punch through really dense bushes and stuff. I am sold, plus I just enough money to buy it ^_^.

To be honest I'm unsure what the FPS is, i use .34 8mm BB in mine as it's all i can get my hands on, I've hit targets out at 20m or so and they know when they are hit, that sort of distance it will live small red marks that fad away soon, and under 10 meters it will leave a bruise if you hit bare skin or someone in light clothing like a tee shirt, i took a hit off one in the ribs at 8m and that made me yelp.

i don't think they are hot, i use mine for CQB and had no nasty accidents yet and some poor sod stuck he's head over a bank and got hit in the head, he was fine, left with 3 8mm sized mark on his forehead tho :D

i run mine on propane as 134a is to weak for the British weather, but you may see a lot more power in the warmer US weather, but I'll doubt you'll ever out range an AEG or GBB with it, its more for those close and personal moment like the real steel :devil:

It's a good CQB weapon and loads of fun to shoot, it makes that excellent shotgun noise when you pump the foregrip, don't know if it's any good in the woodland tho, might have to try it this weekend in my next game ;)

Oh i just cant wait to get mine from airsoft armoury but im going for the 6mm full stock in black. as 8mm is banned at my site :(

I cant wait!

I bought mine at my site, cost £119 but they only sell the 8mm in chrome. but remember it won't hold gas for more than 3 days, i stripped mine to bits cleaned i out and it stopped leaking, unfortunately i can't guarantee that it will cure it, it worked for me, but someone on my site done it also and it still leaks, but it the way Chinese clones go, they all differ, i just happen to have got a good one with a little work.

Oh i just cant wait to get mine from airsoft armoury but im going for the 6mm full stock in black. as 8mm is banned at my site :(

I cant wait!

You can't really complain mate, considering you are allowed 500fps semi-auto sniper rifles... on that point alone I don't understand how 8mm can be banned at your site...

Were abouts is it they leak on average? Something as simple as Teflon taping the threads on some of the values may fix the problem....Anyway i cant wait to see what my one does when i order it ;) Now 6mm or 8...

Archived