AK105_frsbp.jpg

This is just a fast run-down on the external bits of the VFC AK-105. When I get a chance to skirmish the rifle, I will add the results to this review. And then, a few months from now, I'll up-date it again, and again at a year.

In any case, there really isn't any point going into too much detail about the gun itself. It's a Kalashnikov replica made by VFC. They're pretty much all the same on the inside, theoretically, at least. They all come in the same box. And all the AK-74s have the same manual (mine also came with an insert specifically for both the AK-74M and the AK-105). In fact, I'm not even going to write much. I'll just let the photos do most of the talking.

In anyone has any questions, feel free to give me a shout.

The rear sight is not your usual Kalashnikov, being graduated out to a relatively sane (albeit not with this equipment) 500 meters.

AK105_rearsight.jpg

Unlike some AK-10X replicas (*cough* G&G *cough), the stock on the AK-105 actually folds. Here, you can see the button used to release the stock from the folded position, as well as the spring-loaded trap door for a cleaning kit.

AK105_buttstockfolded.jpg

I'm not sure that I'd want to use the rifle much with the stock folded, as you can see into the guts of the thing through the back of the receiver.

AK105_backreceiver.jpg

The selector and markings:

AK105_selector.jpg

The optics-mounting plate:

AK105_scopeplate.jpg

The flashhider is quick and easy to remove, revealing the 24mm threads... and a set screw which holds the 24mm thread adapter over the classic 14mm counter-clockwise threads.

AK105_24to14andset.jpg

The flashhider has, much like the real thing, an expansion chamber for escaping gas. To me, this seems like something that BBs might get caught on, but I'm not too worried about it.

AK105_insideflashhider.jpg

Close-up of the barrel/gas tube/handguard/flashhider/frontsight:

AK105_downmuzzle.jpg

And the other side:

AK105_upmuzzle.jpg

Overview, left-side, stock folded:

AK105_flso.jpg

Right-side, stock folded:

AK105_frso.jpg

Right-side, stock extended with the grand-daddy of folding stock AK AEGs next to it, a Tokyo Marui AKS-47 (with an AKM muzzle break):

AKs_ursm.jpg

Final thoughts:

Overall, the weapon screams quality. The finish is a perfect match for that used on the higher end modern Kalashnikovs (or at least those coming out of Bulgaria). Two small dings against the weapon are that the receiver cover and stock (when extended) have a bit of play to them. Nothing extreme, but most of the real versions I've handled haven't had that sort of play in them. The only other mark against the weapon (which isn't a mark against the quality of the AEG at all) is that 100%-correct impressions are going to be limited, due to the weapon's relative new-ness and place in the Russian arsenal as a weapon for rear-echelon troops.

Questions?

I never understood why the rear sling loop on most folding stock AKs are on the right side rather than the left. Someone once told me it was because it was assumed the more common configuration for the AK would be with its folded position. That just seemed silly and awkward to me. :huh:

I never understood why the rear sling loop on most folding stock AKs are on the right side rather than the left. Someone once told me it was because it was assumed the more common configuration for the AK would be with its folded position. That just seemed silly and awkward to me. :huh:

When slinged: stock folded.

When in use/unslinged: stock extended.

Since the AK sling is a simple 2-point, it just hangs loose when the rifle is in use / blasting imperialist pigs. :P

I guess the russians have a different idea of how a sling is supposed to be used.

In the US most shooters use the sling as a support apperaturs while shooting, at least i know i do with a two/three point.

The good news is that while a bit awkward, using AK's with one point slings is still relatively easy.

In order to sling my AK47 properly i had to update it to the 21st century in order for it to be comfortable.

My VFC AIMS has a steel barrel. Just tested and confirmed with a magnet.

Jag, i was just looking at your photos and i have a word of caution for you. The straps around the trigger guard should be moved. On the VFC guns the trigger guard is just a folded piece of steel. Towards the back by the pistol grip it simply floats. It has the capacity to get crushed into the mechbox, through the plastic cover plate and into your sector gear.

Just a word of warning bud.

Edited by Magsz

Duly noted. Thanks, Magsz. Although the trigger guard feels rather stiff, it does have a little give to it. I'll try to run the strap through the trigger guard instead, or flip the rifle completely and use the stock, rather than the pistol grip to keep the gun in.

Also tested the barrel on the AK-105. It is a ferrous metal, if not steel.

Edited by Jagdraben

Good ideas Jag.

I found out about this the hard way. I dropped my AK74SU and i couldnt figure out why the heck the gun wasnt firing. Turns out the trigger guard was smashed up into the sector gear rofl.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of small gripes after fondling a real steel AK-103 clone:

Real steel Arsenal SLR-107FR (AK-103 clone):

-Solid-feeling stock, whether folded or extended. A bit stiff.

-Solidly fitted rear sight slide with release button on the left side, allowing fast one-handed adjustment of the rear-sight's range setting.

VFC AK-105:

-Wobbly-feeling stock when extended. Moves easily from one position to the other.

-Loosely fitted rear sight slide with release button on the right side, disallowing fast one-handed adjustment of the rear-sight's range setting.

Edited by Jagdraben
You know you can reverse the push-button slider, right?

That requires me to figure out how to remove the rear sight, I imagine. :P

EDIT: Got the sight off. Can't reverse it, because the rear sight only has teeth on the right side, and the locking mechanism only has teeth on one side, as well.

EDIT2: Can't get the rear sight back on. <_<

Edited by Jagdraben