Airsoft tank

Rambo Kid

I'm sure everyone's thought of it before: an airsoft tank. Take a John Deere Gator, put some sheet metal on the sides of the back to make a square thing, weld it on to the Gator, then cut a hole in the top for the operator's hear to stick out. Then get a little metal spinny plate thing that allows for 360 degree movement, get an M60 blowback and weld the bipod onto the spinny plate thing. Has anyone ever attempted this? Maybe with wood? Share your home made airsoft tank ideas here. Personally if I had the money I would definately do this, it would be a beastly thing to operate. Have the back of the gator where your feet are filled with box mags and ammo... How sweet would that be?

EDIT: I drew up my idea in MS Paint :) Hope you like it :D

airsofttankideawf1.png

A few things,

A. whats to stop someone throwing a grenade into it and it blowing up in there which would be loud and painful

B. you would have to sit or kneel in it and it would become uncomfortable.

C. the 360 spinning plate would need to be where your head it so it could work in 360 degrees

A few things to consider

There are several featured on You Tube. Some rubbish looking (from a scal accuracy point of view) and a couple which are truely excellent.

My favouriter is the English guy building a copy of a WW2 airportable light tank and the Aussie with his one man sized Sherman.

The half scale tiger tank is something i would love to have it so cool, but making the cannon seem kinda like a tank would be a little weird, i suppose you could make it like a giant shot gun type thing.

Or Nerf mini vortexes... its what the paintball tankers use. they also have another guy making rockets but I can't find the site. They sometimes do tank on tank scenarios so that works for that...

im sure if the gunner wanted to, he could duck and close a hatch.

you dont have to rich to make an effective tank, might not be metal though....

i think i would start with wooded chassis, lawnmower engine or 2 stroke moped, use a airsoft mg or a gas or c02 operated cannon in a semi swivel turret, or just fixed with only elevation... tracks will be trickey, so i would use wheels toi start with, but im sure if you can get em, it will improve its capability as well as its looks.

maybe even an electric motor for driving!

• 2 weeks later...

hate to say this , but for the price of a john deare gator £7250 in my local dealer, then the messing around with steel sheet and making gun mounts etc, you could have your pick of a fair size portion of real steel ex mod vehicles, including ferret scout car(£3000/5000) fv432 tracked apc(£4500/7500) alvis saracen wheeled apc(£2000/4000) brdm 2 apc (£5000/7000) etc etc etc. plus the number of light armoured stuff like vpk landrovers etc etc, so why would you bother with a gator?

more of a gun truck than a tank realy that.

but on the otherhand if its what you realy want to do then stuff everyone and do it.

ferret turret gun changes are easy, mk2/3 ferrets are nice bits of kit but i want a mk1 and mount a bren gun on it.

saracens are a nice tool would love to have one but i dont have the space, when you start going in the tracked market FV432 mk1's and mk2's, BDRM 1's and 2's you get a whole new pain in the *albartroth* with H licenses and movement and maintenance.

land rovers like the VPK piglet and the shorland are nice and car be driven on the roads with out prep ( yes i know you can with the FV432's etc) also humber 1ton "pigs" make nice toys and if you can get em snatch land rovers.

but when all is said and done you have to look at the site you play on and the cost to run the vehicles, i have a 1977 series 3 FFR 109 land rover and its not cheap to run but i will be using it on some game days, but with fuel as it is life owning these toys isnt getting any cheaper.

anyone at the war and peace this year?? if some drop me a PM and if you are looky you might drop on me and the land rover lol

• 2 weeks later...
But, on a serious note I don't think many airsoft skimishing sites are going to let you drive any vehicles on their site lol.

you would be surprised, think of what you could do with a vehicle and games you could play.

most sites would jump at the chance to have some toys

I've been thinking you could make a kind of airsoft ATGM for games with vehicles. Have a devise that emits an IR laser upon a trigger pull and a receiver on the vehicle, the laser must be kept on the vehicle for a certain duration to mimic missle flight time and causes a small maroon on the vehicle to detonate when that time is achieved. You could build the ATGM launcher to only fire once per loading and fire a smoke maroon on launch so the operators where exposed upon firing. You could even have a range-finder involved to adjust the flight time accoring to distance!

Just and idea, would possibly make vehicle games a little fairer without making the vihicles complete sitting (crawling?) ducks.

hhhmmm airsoft tenk eh. now i would try this, but i dont have a van/truck to take it to and from a game :(

would be awesome tho, if i were to attempt this id wanna keep it cheap as pos and wud think the best kinda vehicle to use would be an off road 2 seater gokart can pick em up for about £300-£500

maybe one day...

Archived