40k Scenerio

Gair333

All right, I'm sure there are quite afew people who would look forward to such an event and as such i am planning on organising one.

Here's the setting: It will be based on the 13th black crusade led by Abbadon the Despoiler. We all know the one. But if you don't I'll elaborate.

Chaos forces spill forth from the eye of terror. Chaos has taken many worlds with only Cadia and afew surrounding planets remaining. The key to Chaos taking so many planets in such a small space of time is due to the raw ammount of Imperial citizens turning to the black gods in dark times. Plagues and fanatics make the systems even easier to steal from Imperial hands.

On Cadia it's a hard fight to remove the heretics. This is where you come in...

Play for the Glorious Imperium or the Dark powers of Chaos.

well that's a very short story brief thats been drawn up, however i want some advice from the people who would (potentially) play this through.

We've been toying with some Idea's such as intregating Space Marines (the imperial and chaos aswell as other races such as the eldar) so some suggestions on how to make the implication o these fair would be welcome, The sort of arena that would like to be played (so far battlezone paintball field seems to be the best bet with is urban and forest sections, and yes we know this is an airsoft forum which is who we're catering for) extra in game scenarios that would be fun and whether it should be none stop IC game with specific objectives or should it be broken down more.

Thanks for the input

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erm, sounds interesting. But how much planning has gone into this?

Are you like formally annoucing this as an event or just bouncing ideas around?

Bouncing ideas around at the moment. I've never set up an airsoft scenerio, but I've done afew small paintball scenerios and also helped with renowned scenerios (such as the big game 2k7 and 2k8, Saving ryans privates 2k6 and 2k7)

but yes bouncing ideas around helps cater for what the players want =)

How are you going to make space marines?

Well how are you going to make anything actually? Guys in DPM/any modern camo, with M4's or AK's would probably make it look like any normal skirmish.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how it'd work.

England.

and please make Constructive critism. by that i mean propose a problem then some sort of solution.

However in response if you've ever been to Staargate or anyother major paintball scenerio the hardcore fans always find a way. For the weapons, im sure some of you have read the literature. Lasguns are standard issue but come in a varity of designs, that coupled with auto guns, las pistols, bolt guns etc im sure the weapons wont be a problem and if it still is feel free to mock up some cardboard body kit and if all else fails youve got you imagination =)

Well to be completely honest i know several airsofters who play warhammer and ive run this pass them, and they say that to make a decent looking Lasgun (is that what its called? Not a player myself) they would need to spend a lot of money on it and for one day it wouldnt be worth it. not everyone would bother turning up in a 40k costume or with a 40k weapon, and if you made that a rule they dont recon youd get enough people willing to put the financial input, and if you didnt the guys running around in DPM with M4s would not only feel left out, theyd also ruin the expereince for the hardcore fans. With WW2 or Vietnam where there is an abundance of kit and airsoft weapons which is relatively easy to source, but where your trying to create a fictional scenario with a lack of equipment and alike im certain it wouldnt be alot harder. I think if you really want to do this your best bet is to form a club or such which focuses on creating 40k airsoft scenarios. First focus on creating costumes, then weapons ect until the group has enough back knowledge to run an event. Im preety sure this was how the first WW2 airsoft groups started.

And also correct me if im wrong, but is 40K on different planets and such? And involves huges battles? How are you going to create that atmosphere on the skirmish field? with WW2, Vietnam or similar events (black Hawk down, Falklands ect) they use pyrotechnics and stuff, but when you bring in lasers and stuff, my bet is it is going to get VERY difficult to create a scenario players will feel emersed in

excellent stuff guys. i understand the "need" for 40k weapons but at the end of the day i you've read the books or magazines you'll know that most of the fighting is done with low tech weapons. I suggest you check gamesworkshop.com for ideas o what different charachters look like. The new imperial troops wear equipment very similar to US special forces mixed with starship trooper head gear. the chaos turncoats mix it up with black and red, so usual fatigues etc would be fine in this unusual setting. It would be the story that makes the game with everyone playing a certain role (which will be dished out on a first come first serve basis ofcourse). Conspiracy, spies and bloodbaths.

The guys in that link are pretty cool and have done a great job of recreating the look.

But they are limited to three guys!

And they have done the Imperial Army thing because it is just about the only loadout you can recreate convincingly without having to spend gazillions of pounds on prosthetics, custom made outfits and blasters.

It's a while since I have been to a Games Workshop or LARP gig, but you do see some people in character/costume at those events. My concern though is that you are taking two niche hobbies and combining them, meaning the number of people who sign up will be a fraction of a small number.

Don't get me wrong, good luck with it and I hope it works out for you, but I think trying to form a team to meet-up at a normal event is more realistic.

And have you tried contacting GW? If you pull something off and it looks professional they may give you some support.

And have you tried contacting GW? If you pull something off and it looks professional they may give you some support.

GW really won't support anything. The only plus point is they won't give you any hassle on the issue of copyrights and intellectual property until there's money changing hands over it, ie. you charge to attend an event.

excellent stuff guys. i understand the "need" for 40k weapons but at the end of the day i you've read the books or magazines you'll know that most of the fighting is done with low tech weapons. I suggest you check gamesworkshop.com for ideas o what different charachters look like. The new imperial troops wear equipment very similar to US special forces mixed with starship trooper head gear. the chaos turncoats mix it up with black and red, so usual fatigues etc would be fine in this unusual setting. It would be the story that makes the game with everyone playing a certain role (which will be dished out on a first come first serve basis ofcourse). Conspiracy, spies and bloodbaths.

but... a story isnt tangable. you cant see it or feel it. just because someone said at the beginning of the day "you guys are space marines and you guys are chaos marines" doesnt mean that im going to feel like a space marine when im wearing DPM kit and packing an m4.

i know you said you want constructive critisism, but im struggling to find any solutions that are viable. if you were proposing to start up a weekly/monthly event that people can go to with a running campaign, then people would get the custom loadouts and weapons and it would start to be a real 40k game, rather than just a 40k story with real life weapons (regular airsoft weapons, not real steel :P) and loadouts. however, if this is just a one off thing, or even once every year, i struggle to see people spending the money to take part.

i totally agree with sixtyniner. you are talking about building a game for the minority of a minority (airsofters who play 40k), and to me it doesnt seem worth it.

however, good luck with it and i wish you all the best and will take back my comments if you actually manage this.

Gair333, I think its a great Idea and think you can achieve a very reasonable event if guys are willing to make an effort! Thanks to larp, Orc masks can used, you can get your hands on East german uniforms for £10 Jacket, Trousers and ski Cap! with a bit of spray paint and dye could soon be made to look like one of the million designs GW keep knocking up! Body Armour (as long as were not talking full on marines) can also be thrown together! Make the first one 40k Battles, but keep it low teck weapons! One of my guys a few years back made a foam cover for a Gas MP5 and latex it, sprayed it up and it worked like a dream. chunked the mags out to look like bolter mags!

The magic word here is effort!

I'll tell you what mate! You get the idea futher forward and I'll give you use of the Gunman Site for a weekend to run your senario on!

I know the lads that play the Imperial Gaurd and they have access to alot more players than peeps may realise!

good luck mate

It is a very good idea.....I think it would also be good for airsoft to have more events like this.

Having said that, you are going to have a hard time recreating the WH40K "feel"......

My advice, for what its worth, forget Space Marines (at least for now)....the armour, weapons, size will either be cheap and nasty, or VERY expensive.

Also, perhpas you could scale down the event.....forget the 13th Black crusade, its too big, and any day event run to encaptulate the feel of that scenario will fall flat on its face....(see: AI500 )

A better scenario, IMHO, would be to focus on something like an Inquisitor, or Space Hulk type setting....relatively small and contained. The setting could be a Hive world and the aim of the game could be Adeptus Arbites vs Hive gangers or Chaos cultists, or even a Genestealer coven....

The key here is that its a small skirmish situation that can be played in a day!

The out fits for the Arbites are relatively easy to recreate, almost like black motorcycle outfits....and the gangers, well...easy, same as the chaos cultists.

Weapons could be tricked out G36s for the Arbites, and tricked out shotguns for the gangers or cultists...this shows the fact that the cultists or gangers have access to firearms but not the latest tech....you'd offset this in the game by having more chaos or gangers than you'd have Arbites.

Again, I'd steer clear of IG....Cadians in real life would look too much like modern day troopers, this is bad because you're trying to create the atmosphere of WH40K....the exception to this rule is the Death Korps of Kreig.....these guys could be done using WWII German uniforms, some tricked out masks and German helmets...so theres another (perhaps better) option.

If you want any help organising this, I'd be happy to lend a hand....I like WH40K, and if any such event kicks off I'd certainly come along to play.

I hope my advice is of some use.

The more I think about this the more I love the idea. Keeping it for smaller numbers, more role-playing than skirmishing (think milsim done the 40k way) and it would be pretty cool.

Reading Ing Eisenhorn's post made me smile - a hive location with good props, costumes and a scenario would rock.

But I still have my reservations about getting the right number of the right people involved.

I'm excited by it but wouldn't attend just because of the cost involved. A new gun, costume and other stuff is all going to add up pretty quickly.

Good luck though, and if you do pull it off I may change my mind and come to the second event.

I belive one of the posters above pointed out one important factor....Games Workshops I.P (Intellectual Property) rights...and those guys will fight tooth and nail to defend it. If you want Imperial eagles, and WH40K names and units on full obvious display....you better make sure this is a charity event where you make no money at all, if not GW (Games Workshop) will not hesitate to drag you off to court.

A while back a group of "fans" (probably not anymore <_<) attempted to make a film based on the WH40K, GW stepped in and basically got the film frozen, by that I mean banned it from being shown. GW made this step AFTER the guys had invested money on props, sets etc and had pretty much finished the film....bear in mind that these guys let GW know what they were doing from the start, it seems callous that GW let them go ahead and even attended the private screening before pulling the plug on the project....on the gounds of I.P protection.

So, another piece of advice....by all means have a Sci-Fi setting, and even take cues from WH40K...(no matter what they say, they can't copyright the German uniform ;) )but don't make this a WH40K event....not unless you intend to advertise through whispers and carrier pigeon.

would it not be possible to do what Staargate did and just change things around abit ;) if not ill get on the blower. However in saying that if it is possible to make the first event free to play (bar your equip to play) and someone wants to open their site for a day its all go

GW're watching us right now..

:S

Still, i run about screaming 'FOR THE EMPEROR!' and i've always wanted to play with a pistol and 'thunder hammer' plus trenchcoat.. I've got an Inquisitorial pendant too.. Count me down for this!

:D you might joke, but did you know GW trawls ebay to see if anyone is knocking off their miniatures range. A few sales have been pulled because of this ;)

I reckon, if you changed things a little then it should be ok. Create your own Death Korps unit, pick a different name for your Industrial world, and chaos....well, its chaos so the coven could be called anything, The Brothers of the putrid Slime (Nurgle)....Sisters of the twisted nipple (Slaanesh)...etc.

I've found some interesting armour types that I could flash up links to later on. I also have some ideas on weapons changes to make them more (WH40K).

Methinks you guys ought to check out our forum, here. It's mainly for us Scarovians (Imperial Guard Regiment), but we do have discussions for other races, etc. A few of us have plans for Chaos loadout, and someone's even got a Tau loadout on the go.

Check it out.

Archived