JLS berreta Rx4

bluntshooter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*Goes away and awaits DarkLite's famous penis*

Fixed.

So far as I can tell, the Rx4 can take all m4 mags, but not thermolds, which is a pity, as it would look damned good with them.

The upper reciever is metal. The gun is very solid indeed. The Flash hider is a 14mm+, so I need to get an adapter for that. The lower grip rail can be removed quite easily.

The front sight is adjustable up and down, the rear sight is fixed with two choices of aperture.

The barrel appears to be M4 length, 363mm. The hop-up unit is a standard 2-piece M4 style hop-up.

Sounds pretty great so far!

How's the stock?

What can you say about mag changing procedure, is it as annoying as it would seem?

Is the motor caged or not?

1) The Stock is rock solid. It's awesomely comfortable too. The only issue is people with tall faces or big heads (a la DarkLite) won't be able to get far down enough to use the Ironsights. Has a nice rubber stock pad though. Comfy.

2) The Mag changing is annoying - you have to either use the right hand to change the mag by holding the mag and pressing the button with your thumb, or swing the rifle into your chest and reach under it with the left hand.

3) Yes. The motor is caged, short shaft.

The CX4 makes a lot of sense, actually. It's a perfect option as a low-cost patrol rifle and it's pretty good for general purpose varmint killing and even for home defense (if you REALLY want a 'rifle').

And also, a very good anti-Zombie weapon.

;)

And yeah, I finally worked out why this gun looks so horrid. It's a shotgun in disguise.

1) The Stock is rock solid. It's awesomely comfortable too. The only issue is people with tall faces or big heads (a la DarkLite) won't be able to get far down enough to use the Ironsights. Has a nice rubber stock pad though. Comfy.

2) The Mag changing is annoying - you have to either use the right hand to change the mag by holding the mag and pressing the button with your thumb, or swing the rifle into your chest and reach under it with the left hand.

3) Yes. The motor is caged, short shaft.

What's the quality of the plastic external parts like?

From the pictures on RSOV it looks like they use some form of polymer-thingie like on the CA36 series, but it might just be textured ABS.

The gearbox as you said, was a weird one. From the shape of the gun, I'm suspecting a horizontal motor, could it be the same V2 variant as on the AGM MP40, or more like the V2 variant in the JLS F2000?

And what kind of batteries fir in the foregrip?

I'm very curious about this gun.

It looks too weird not to be interesting :)

Wow. The mechbox is a really weird one - the motor is caged, but in a hinged cage.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with mag compatibility. Only the stock JLS hicap will lock into place, my MAG midcaps and dboys hicap will not. Comparing the mags, I found this:

mags.jpg

The JLS mag has a little sticky-outy bit that locks over the mag catch. Wassup with that??

There is quite a lot of room in the foregrip, but much of it is taken up by some thin fins - I guess they're there to keep the small 9.6V batt from rattling around. Removing the fins, I think you might be able to squeeze in a large 8.4V batt.

The gun feels solid and heavy. Without mag or batt, it weighs 3280g.

My CA SA58 carbine is 2868 - with red dot and mount.

Dboys full steel RK01 is 2853g.

Outer barrel is rock solid. Stock tube is rock solid. Sliding stock isn't exactly rock solid, but it doesn't move much, and is very ergonomic.

Mine has a cracked receiver. :( It's rather small though and purely cosmetic.

cracked_receiver.jpg

Haven't chronoed it yet, battery is charging. :P

(edit) Test-fired it a bit - accuracy is on the wrong side of atrocious, haha. And that's after cleaning the barrel. May need to replace hop bucking and/or inner barrel. :lol:

(edit) Mine chronos between 385 and 395fps with Xtreme .20g. The supplied 9.6V small batt actually seems very good, very nice ROF. Gearbox sounds "soft", rather quiet.

(edit) I took my dboys mag, and bent out the top edge of the locking slot a bit with a screwdriver:

mag.jpg

The mag now locks perfectly in the RX4, even better than the stock one (which has to be jammed in there). Hm!

The mechbox

6mm metal bushings, hinged motor cage (when pivoted upwards, can be pulled right off the mechbox, very elegant solution)

rx4mechbox1.jpg

rx4mechbox2.jpg

rx4mechbox3.jpg

rx4mechbox4.jpg

Mechbox opened. Drowned in a filthy, runny grease/oil. Trigger mech is fixed with screws to the mechbox shell, and will never fall out when doing mechbox maintenance. Nice!

rx4mechbox5.jpg

V3 spring guide... all plastic.

rx4mechbox6.jpg

Nozzle & cylinder head. Cylinder head has a rim that keeps it from being pushed all the way into the cylinder. Makes it quick and easy to correctly align the cylinder head.

rx4mechbox7.jpg

Piston head, 4 ports. The spring is fixed inside the piston to the back of the piston head, a la Marui. Boo!

rx4mechbox8.jpg

Getting to the mechbox is kinda funny. The lower receiver is just two clamshell halves that are friction fitted together with many molded ABS pins and two metal pins that go right through the mechbox too. Getting the two halves together with the mechbox, mag catch, selector switch, safety button, and chunky stock tube mounting block between them, is a huge *fruitcage* nightmare the first time.

But it gets surprisingly easy to do after a couple of tries. The two halves fit together very firmly, and with the whole gun assembled again, it feels very chunky and manly. :P

Balance is unpleasant, extremely front heavy, even without the front mounted battery. This really is a man's rifle. :D

It really is. Also the inner barrel is 350mm, a 363mm M4 length inner barrel will be slightly visible through the flash hider cutouts. No mind, I'm getting one tomorrow. The stock barrel is a sad thing indeed.

And as per ACM protocol, the hop rubber is more plastic than rubber. *bins* :P

Ok, Skirmish after-action report:

Double-feeds, triple-feeds and at one point fired 20 bbs at once in a spread and is less accurate than FOX News.

However, these problems should be easily fixed by:

1) Replacing the hop-up rubber

2) Replacing the barrel

3) Cleaning out all of that crappy grease.

Other than that, it was pretty good, though my one chrono'd at 1.5J!

Can you guys post pictures of this gun with different optics, foregrips and stuff on? At least one with an Aimpoint and one with an EOtech.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Found a RS one with an Aimpoint

mnnnnb.jpg

Ok, Skirmish after-action report:

Double-feeds, triple-feeds and at one point fired 20 bbs at once in a spread and is less accurate than FOX News.

However, these problems should be easily fixed by:

1) Replacing the hop-up rubber

2) Replacing the barrel

3) Cleaning out all of that crappy grease.

Other than that, it was pretty good, though my one chrono'd at 1.5J!

Yeah, those things need to be done. Buyer should add these things to the cost of the RX4 from the beginning.

Also, the upper part of the two-piece hop-up is utter garbage. Warped, crooked, needs replacing.

Skirmished mine today. Things that were changed beforehand:

- systema hop rubber

- pdi ~550mm x 6.05mm VSR barrel, modded to fit AEG (plus the longest silencer I had lying around)

- big-out black H nub, modded to compensate for crooked hop-up

I used CA 130rds M16 mags, modded as shown above, and also removed ~4mm from the rear end of the raised part on top of the mag, the part that houses the spring for the BB lock. This is because this part must fit into a slot in the underside of the mechbox, a slot that is only sized for BB lock housings on hicap mags (which have a shorter part to make room for the opening for filling BBs).

cons:

- midcap CA magazines refused to feed on full auto. Semi, no problem, no matter how rapid trigger was pulled.

- front heavy.

- safety is confusing. When is it on safe again, when left or right? *scratches head* :P

pros:

- Very accurate at longer range, despite jury-rigged hop-up.

- sliding stock is extremely useful and comfortable, extended when doing long range accuracy work, collapsed when doing trench work.

- quiet.

- mag changes in the field were nowhere near as annoying as I had feared, you quickly get used to the procedure.

- a conversation piece!

Overall, this gun proved very potent in skirmish (despite being stuck with semi-only, got plenty of kills), though the full-auto feeding problem concerns me. I did briefly test full-auto using a hicap yesterday, no problems at all. Maybe I should just stick with hi-caps for this gun.

Can't wait to play some more with that funny mechbox. :)

Archived