Airsoft Land Mine

dobey

You are correct, and I apologize. I wasn't really looking for criticism, the intent of my post was to inform members that I was working on a prototype, to show how it worked, and to get feedback from the community on what features they liked, or wanted added. The comments from Carrion seemed to be insulting the hard work I put into these projects and it offended me. In the future I will make a greater effort to ignore negative comments and try to realize the petty people making them usually don't understand what kind of work goes into this.

I have to say with a few exceptions the people on this board are very friendly, and have been very helpful in posts and PM's and I would like to take a moment to say thank you to them. I am taking the first prototype to a game this weekend and will hope to have pictures up come Monday.

You kind of spoiled the effect there by describing the comments as petty - they weren't. If you wanted to refute Carrions suggestion that your device was similar to the Mosquito Moulds one (which I'm sure wasn't designed to insult you), then giving an explanation of why you think it IS different would have been a good idea - rather than suggesting the MM trap only costs 47 cents to make, distribute and sell - which you've got to admit seems unlikely, and rather flippant.

I wouldn't recommend that you ignore comments you consider to be negative, as they can be just as useful as positive ones. This was a case in point - an opportunity to extoll the benefits of your model over the MM one. See what I mean?

and despite all these aparant negative comments about it i too would like a moscart based land mine. but i want just that. a land mine not a directed remote controlled moscart launcher. which is what this is. one which does have and i will say it for i think the third time a very interesting and innotave triggering mechanism which IS new and does interest me. and i hope it DOES work well in game and from this you can branch out into other mine based devices.

personaly for me i am always a tad iffy at anything which could be used in a blind firing manner. as this thoerticaly could this said i do play alot of very close urban and having that sat around a corner would make me an unhappy bunny.

then again if all players know that its there SOMEWHERE then a no mask of situation should be a no brainer. (which it should be all the time) so it shouldent be too bad.

infact i have GIVEN you a easy to make modification on the traditional Moscart design which with a little work on your end on the electronics and activation mech as to be honest electronics is not my forte, im a mechanical engineer not a sparky, would make a very nice low profile ane relativly cheep mine which could be semi mass produced with relative ease. even more so if a trip only system was used. which is what i have and many others have always envisioned an airsoft landmine to be.

the system i have in mind would be a 2 part modification on a normal moscart shell.

part 1 is a replacement for the ally bb and gas chamber part which is removed totaly and in its place there is a conical (2 inches ish high and say 3 in diameter) with an internal gas resouvior ala traditional moscarts which is screwed onto the normal lower part of the moscart (where the spring/bearing/plug affair is) to make a total all up moscart again.

again with the 360/180ish spread of bbs with the gas being routed into a deep milled grove channel around the gas chamber to allow the gas to get to higher bb chambers. less ranage more bbs like a mine should be

part 2

is a base unit containg the firing pin and detector system (or analoge trip system which i personaly prefer again for me its a less complex thus easier to build and maintain system) to set the uper off. the moscart can just fit in it as a slot on witht eh above part

would 3 inches diameter be enough to fit the detector, a servo arm to set the mine off and the required batterys and on off devices plus the bleaper which if this were to be a saleable device i would expect it to have with the same vertical separation as the moscart plus say 20% to allow the pin to be under the shell.

if you do decide to make these (as i have a feeling your part of a company given the workmanship ) i would just ask that i get a few modification kits sent to me gratis for assiting with the desigm to game test in the uk and assit in the practical development of them

my intent is not to critise, it was intended to devlope a dialoge so that

1) you are opened to an alternate idea still based on moscarts as they are an easyily modable medium to use as an easier start point and that if you have tried it you can tell me so i know as well and if it doesnt work i can plan something else.

2) i DO like the work thats in it and maybe you could help me in the future with any electronics issue i have as i realy realy realy do not liek dealing with smegging wires. i just hate them. give me a nice reliable set of gears and a clutch plate please. the level of work thats in it does look very high and professional. i will not say anything else about that without getting a unit in hand to look at and analyise.

3) you get a players input especialy from someone who loves moscarts, mines, grenades and general misc bangy things which are garunteed to screw people up a bit. i am one of the few people to realsiticaly game a CAW revolver launcher as a sole main arm for more than 20 minutes.

4) skull sessions via a forum always lose that personal touch. especialy for me as i hate smilies and never use them right . as things which are said can be taken in totaly the wrong way. ie the trap comment. if we were face to face or even e chatting in realtime you could tell me how it differs both greatly and in not so great ways.

edit stealthy 2 in 2 days!!!

and here is another idea/concept this time for a spring powered low cost mine. basicaly a lowcap style mag rwrit very large.

i am pictuing this as based within a small nuttella jar (the once which you can get all the coccy stuff out of) as this gave me the idea. but any round container will do.

ill do a top down design the ancual "mine" is open topped so no bbs tubes, no covers no nothing bar a transport cover being the nuttela lid (peel of version) .

below this is where the bbs or peas go in a void

below this is a large metal disk which is the bb "pusher" with a compressed spring below it. like the pic below

| |<---nutella jar.

| |

|--------------| <---disk

| Z |

| Z < | ----spring

| Z |

when released the spring just pushes the bbs skywards and let htem come back down where they may

potential a conical disk would help spread better

trigger would be via trip wires to an inverted L shaped rocker arm the wire is pulled the arm moves away form a hook which it is hlding the disk down with and up goes the disk.

I appreciate what Carrion is saying but on the other hand - wasn't the original purpose of this device to be able to take any 40mm gas shower shell? I mean, the moment you start faffing around with custom parts for the shell itself you're starting to narrow down your options a bit because it means either the only people who can use the device are those with the type of shell you base the custom parts off (ergo other interested people have to buy new extra shells of your base model type) or you have to make the custom parts for every shell on the market (not realistic and not cost effective especially for a smaller company in what is, afterall, a niche market). Furthermore I don't remember anyone saying at any point that this thing wasn't supposed to be a claymore (in everything but appearance) and therefore only a directional AP device rather than a wider blast radius.

edit: lol one thing just occured to me for a radiused blast effect landmine - you guys remember pop-up pirate? how about something that fires up one of Airsoft innovations Tornado Grenades just a few inches from the ground. Crazy I know but I couldn't keep it to myself.

One issue that i think has been majorly overlooked, was the angle at which the BBs are being fired. Correct me if i'm wrong, but most people have a gap between their shooting glasses and their faces.

Now, should a BB be fired upwards, could it not enter this gap?

One issue that i think has been majorly overlooked, was the angle at which the BBs are being fired. Correct me if i'm wrong, but most people have a gap between their shooting glasses and their faces.

Now, should a BB be fired upwards, could it not enter this gap?

The League that Dobey and I are members of, The Western New York Airsoft League, does not allow "shooting glasses". They are extremely unsafe. I would never take a chance at loosing an eye because of wearing inappropriate eye protection. Full seal goggles should be worn on the field at all times, with an ANSI rating of Z87 or higher.

its the same as odd angle ricochets, multi level CQB or even steep woodland. the risks are minimal and the power of these would be pretty low

edit

and the ops (whome it apears is unable to discuss concepts like a human being) design is more of a remote moscart launcher. i am the only one who is proposing a true landmine with upfiring ability .

and the ops (whome it apears is unable to discuss concepts like a human being) design is more of a remote moscart launcher. i am the only one who is proposing a true landmine with upfiring ability .

So basically... your only beef with the ops is the fact he calls it an airsoft "landmine" You wouldn't have any trouble with the concept if it was called an "Airsoft Remote 40mm Launcher" or "Airsoft Motion Detenating 40mm Launcher" or whatever... jus as long as the word "landmine" isn't present in the title?

the blott yes and no.

1 i would love a decent as landmine so i am interested in any such ideas which could be feasable this is a modification only on an existing "mine" concept aka the trap2 by MM

2 this isnt a landmine it is a directed fire device only.

as someone who has used moscarts as a sole arm in games on propane and also been on the reciving end i know what they can do bnoth effect wise and pain wise.

it operates like a claymore, a claymore is an anti-personnel mine which is deployed on the ground or on 'land' and therefore its not unreasonable for him to call this thing a landmine. Perhaps just 'mine' would have been better but imho I think you're nitpicking over terminology. No offense intended.

fair enough, none taken.

although you can understand the differeance in terminology does lead to a totaly different design aspect.

its like designing a mobile phone with a camera or a camera with a mobile phone. the first aspect mentionined is the primary one and thus defines in many repects the form of the goods.

most AP mines are decendants of the ww2 AP mines which were not directed fire devices like the claymore and had an manual detonation device. most are either pressure or trip activated.

Archived