Gearbox rebuild got a lot easier

cafemondo

So I was stripping down and putting in a pdi spring into a ver3. As usual the anti reversal latch and the trigger assembly kept popping out of place, the effort to pop the spring in and keep it held down whilst then keeping everything aligned perfectly and then drop on the top half of the gearbox was just savage.

Solution - two huge neodynium rare earth magnets underneath the gearbox. Keeps the main spring down! anti reversal latch is pinned down, the gears are all held in place as well as the trigger spring. I seriously recommend getting some as it cut the time down dramatically.

Has he? then I must bow down to another great mind. Hadnt heard of it before and it was only on the off chance of having these monsters around that I did think of it. And they are called Neodymium, not Neodynium, my spell error.

I guess this is why we need a database of quality threads and posts.

Never would have thought of that! Chirst, I absolutely HATE working on my G36 because of the AR latch and trigger spring always popping out when it's time to close the box up... definitely gonna try this out sometime soon.

Good idea..... How many and how big were the magnets you used? Would these do?

It'd do for holding the mainspring in, but for anything else it's overkill. If they're the size I think they are (Diameter of a quarter, two/three times as thick?) Then they're gona be some pretty damend powerfull magnets. Like, quite a bit of trouble getting a few apart, and easily a nasty pinch if you're nto carefull when using them.

Bigger than that, and you're starting to go into bad bruises and broken finger territory.

Those would probably do, these are what I had lying around. Getting cheaper, I paid over double that 1 year ago.

c6b5_2.JPG

Yep, if its worth doing properly go for the overkill. Very, very powerfull and also like mentioned finger snappingly dangerous, my main use for these is to hold skates to my shoes without straps. One magnet in the shoe and another under the skate. Theres a lot of attraction :) Youll need to cover the magnets in a plastic tape or they will shatter when they collide.

The replacement main spring is a PDI 150 which is an inch longer than the stock spring and without the magnets was very tough to get in and hold down.

My magnets are like N50 rated w/e that means. The thing is like a stack of 8 quarters. Hurt like a mofo when I got clapped by two of them. Good idea. Maybe I should make some kind of holder for these or something. I just have to make sure it is thin since magnets loose their power of attraction exponentially or w/e. I finally have a use for my magnets other than look for small screws...

FYI, as chainmail is usually made from steel or some other iron derivative, it's magnetic. As such, wearing them while doing anything with magnets will make it... interesting!

Archived