A winge and a question... (but mostly a winge)

WhutJP

I seek your advice, your thoughts and all that stuff... and sorry in advance for the long windedness

Heres the situation; I usually play airsoft with just a few other mates, about 4-6 people though sometimes if others are busy its just 1 on 1. The areas we have to play are all woodland.

Okay, so heres my problem: In most situations I'm better than my friends at airsoft. I dont say this arrogantly or to show off its just that when the battle starts and bbs are flying, i usually come out on top (though for sure not always, im not that good). Now you'd think I'd find this a fine situation right? well I did.. until my friends started thinking i was better than them, cos now they are scared of me when i play (incedentally more scared than they should be).

Again, you'd think I'd find this an even more fine situation.. and I did... but the problem came when this fear caused the others to become camping pussies. And they are patient people - generally speaking.

What happens in a game: The most common game type we play is just simple death match/ elimination whatever you want to call it game. The game starts and I (and team mates if i have them) move forward, through the forest in the opponents general direction. My opponents however barely move and find a nice piece of cover to hide behind and then they wait. and wait. and wait some more.

I realise whats going on so i sit tight somewhere and wait for them to show themselves... but i am not so patient. im getting eaten by mozzies and feelin pretty bored so i decide to keep moving up and then finally after the game has gone on for 45 mins or something stupid like that Bang! they shoot me from their perfect cover that is barely 2 metres from their start.

So now we always play with some kind of objective... but even if they are attacking they go so slow and games take forever (though for sure if im defending and they are attacking im less likely to die).

So to sum up my winge; the games take to damn long.

I loved the fast paced games we used to play and these long games are really not fun.

So question(s):

for the sake of the question lets assume its a one on one.

Q. In a situation where you know your opponent is somewhere in the fairly dense forest and not moving, whats the best way to attack?

do you a; move slowly and try to spot them? (I can move quietly through a forest, usually its my movement they see).

or b; move fast from cover to cover to draw out their fire and get them to give away their location?

Edit; i thought id just add that i dont want to make rules that force them out of this kind of action, I dont criticize them for doing what they do, in fact its quiet logical - they know they can out wait me so they do. However what i want to do is over come their action, not prohibit it.

tell them.... ffs they seem to have an advantage against you by numbers...

how old are you all?

are you all using similar level weapons?

its not fair if you have a m249 and they all have springers....

Shorten the games... set time limits...

also stop winging and talk to your 'friends'

tell them.... ffs they seem to have an advantage against you by numbers...

how old are you all?

are you all using similar level weapons?

its not fair if you have a m249 and they all have springers....

Shorten the games... set time limits...

also stop winging and talk to your 'friends'

They dont have the advantage by numbers - we play even teams or - like i said - 1 on 1.

we are all old enough to live in japan and not be going to school.

yes similar level weapons, aegs.

Like i said - i dont want to hamper their style, or *badgeress* at them for what is really a perfectly reasonable action. What i want to know is the best way to discover/draw out/shoot someone hiding in bushes/dense forest.

This is all assuming i only have a general idea as to where they are.

grenade is the best idea yet. There have been a couple situations where one woulda helped.

Sorry to say it, but a properly set up ambush, by people with camouflage and automatic fire is pretty hard to recover from. Best I can recommend is to read up on counter sniping tactics, practice recognizing the S's Shape, Shine, Smell, ect.

So this doesn't start as some kind of 'buy this' thread, because if my mate bought hundreds of £200 guns and grenades and such and wanted a one on one? I wouldn't play! (without borrowing some of it first..)

Try a weapon swap, borrow a friends AEG - then you will have the relitive unfamiliarity of a different gun. How about a hunt game? You start running, and they chase after 2 minutes, all on you?

Or maybe, just maybe, go to a local site to play against new people? :P

Seconding the motion to flank them either totaly behind or just from a different angle from where they exect you to turn up from.

I understand where your coming from on the patience side, but it is worth working on. Allthough buying stuff isn't the best way to solve this, you could try getting a spring TM shotgun (or clone). This could teach you to start appreciating patience and stealth and all those wonderfull things ;)

Another interesting idea is have you thought of inviting more people to come along? ask some more of your friends. The more people you have playing the less individual skill has an impact. And you never know, soemone you invite may suprise you all.

I never learned 'smell' as one of the S's of cam & concealment, it doesn't make sense, ranges will be far too large to 'smell' someone out unless you had some kind of smelloscope ;) . Besides unless you're a schnauzer you're going to be right next to them when you 'smell' them and unless they're asleep there's a good chance they'll have noticed you.

Lots of people have suggested time limits or sounded impatient with the tactics being described (camping), in actual fact camping is in no way 'unfair' it is a legitamate military tactic there is no reason to be annoyed at these people so long as they are waiting to ambush as opposed to hiding because they don't want to come to harm. However I can understand that in a airsoft game 'real world' tactics and skills are abandoned to make the game more enjoyable and possibly you could comprimise with you're friends and explain you should have some fast paced games and some slow waiting games.

I never learned 'smell' as one of the S's of cam & concealment, it doesn't make sense, ranges will be far too large to 'smell' someone out unless you had some kind of smelloscope ;) . Besides unless you're a schnauzer you're going to be right next to them when you 'smell' them and unless they're asleep there's a good chance they'll have noticed you.

I dont know if it's supposed to be there, but I was told it while researching my ghillie suit. It probably is not the most important when dealing with walking around camo, but I would immagine it could come into play in some sort of sniper mission where one has to remain concealed with people walking right next to you.

Before I knew about airsoft, my friend and I use to play camping and hunting games, one on one, where if the other guy sees you youre dead. Of course we'd both camp for long periods of time waiting eachother out, but eventually one of us would start stalking. Based off of this experience (minding there were no projectiles involved) I would recomend the flanking manuver, long sweeping ones they wouldnt expect, that way you can come up behind them and outflank them if they decide to hunt.

A few of my private games used to encounter this problem, so we came up with the 'walk to engagement' rule, simply put from your start zones you MUST walk towards the enemy, as soon as you see opponents you call it and get stuck in, as a sniper i can't say this is my favourite rule, but its good enough if you have others with who can call engagement whilst you stalk.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go for basing your plans around what you know of your friends your up against. For example if it seems to be a common trend that they hold up somewhere close to their start point, make sure you put in a big as possible flanking manoveour so that it brings you up behind them, or at least at a rearward angle.

Best advice I'd give is learn from the times they do ambush you, and see if any patterns show up that could help you get the drop on them first. And if anything, rather than buying more stuff, giving you a greater profile, I'd start considering losing bits of gear (unless ofc your already on the basic combats, AEG, eye protection stuff) so that your less likely to snag on things, make noise, and also reduce your overall profile/shadow.

Alternatively you could bring the issue up with your mates, come up with some more objective/timed based games to compliment the longer ones, and also get yourself down to some organised skirmishes, more likely to find faster paced games there.

Archived