Things that are beginning to annoying me

Tom Andrews

Wimbledon - two weeks when people in the UK pretend to give a ###### about Tennis.

There are sports channels now. Can't we keep the sport to them, and leave the "normal" channels for alternatives to sports, for those of us who don't give a *beep*? Put something else on, like a good film, or a decent comedy series or something. Anything that's not "reality TV" or a sport.

You seriously can't expect that everything on TV should be something that you would be interested in watching, it isn't there to provide you with enjoyment alone you know. ;) Besides, the tennis makes a nice change from watching football all of the time.

That's reminds me of something that annoys me, people who think that the world should be designed to fit their needs and no-one elses.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You seriously can't expect that everything on TV should be something that you would be interested in watching, it isn't there to provide you with enjoyment alone you know. ;) Besides, the tennis makes a nice change from watching football all of the time.

That's reminds me of something that annoys me, people who think that the world should be designed to fit their needs and no-one elses.

How is it my needs alone? There are, believe it or not, millions of people who don't care about sports. Many of them are women, but still. Besides, I already mentioned that there are sports channels - if you want to watch sport, either go to the event (since you're SUCH a fan) or watch the sport channels.

Road users in general now...if you do something wrong, just face that it's your fault.

What REALLY frustrates me, is people that drive in the wrong lane at a roundabout, then try and take the exit you are driving towards (in the correct lane), and make out its your fault when clearly it's theirs!

ted.

seconded. i nearly pulled out in front of someone on a small roundabout the other day, he was in the left lane, not indicating, so he's going straight over right? WRONG! wrong lane, no signal and he turns right.

i mean, if you give no indication as to where you're going how are people going to know who's right of way it is.

I second (third?) that one too.

Stupid woman went in the left lane to take the exit which was right the way round the other side of a large roundabout. She starts to cut me up so I use the horn to let her know I am there, which is what it's meant for, and she got angry at me...

Also people on roundabouts who think that because they have the right-of-way to your right in a people carrier that they can come steaming onto a roundabout, even when you have entered it before they get to the junction, then has the cheek to hoot at me, making it seem like I'm in the wrong. I decided to stop (maybe not the best decision at the time) so he would have to wait for me to get clear of his route off the roundabout, he didn't seem to appreciate it.

I was trying to take the train somewhere the other day and instead of vaulting the barrier or simply walking through the disabled gate, I bought my ticket like a responsible citizen and proceeded to the only operational barrier, where an elderly lady was standing in front of it looking at the timetable to see which platform to go on (I assume that's what she was looking for). Anyway, I thought, fair enough, it's best to check, and she might not be the best at reading, so I gave it a minute. In the end, I said "Are you OK?" in the least patronising way possible. She turned round and very sharply replied "Yes. Fine." and continued checking two different timetables against each other (heaven knows why). Anyway, in the end I said "I'm really sorry, but I'm about to miss my train and I need to get through the barrier", to which came the shocking reply "Leave me alone! I should have you reported for harrassment!". I apologised and got the ****ing bus.

I mean, fair enough, she may have had bad experiences with the younger generation actually being harassing, but I feel I was as polite as possible, and it wasn't as if she HAD to stand there and check for Lord knows what. I mean, I could understand if I'd try to push past her, or asked her to move in a rude manner, but I don't think there was anything I could have done to be more gracious about it!

Another thing that really annoys me is when you're on the bus, and you see someone waiting at the bus stop from waay down the road, and when they get on the bus they spend 5 minutes rummaging through their bag for their Oister Card, thus holding up everyone else on the bus. Fair enough if they've had to run for the bus, so they haven't had time, but, if they are far enough down the road that they have seen the bus a few minutes before it reaches them, they could at least have it ready, I mean, does the thought not cross people's minds when they see their bus coming? "Hmm, the bus. Lucky my Oister Card is tucked away under all the junk I have in my bag".

Done.

Bloody seconded about the *ahem* "older generation". I was once waiting utside a Tesco's for a friend, and saw an old woman attempting to lift a 24 pack of beer out her trolly and into her boot. She didn't stand a chance. So I offered to help and out poors every insult under the sun. Ranting on about "You $£^&£ teenagers, you'll probably steal it" etc. <_< Now I have a short fuse at the best of times, so heres me standing there saying, "Christ lady I was offering to help, and you come out with that? Do it your *fruitcage* self."

I probably just reinforced the stereotype about teenagers, but when someone just judges me in a split-second without even listening about my offer to help it REALLY grinds my gears. <_<

Rich.

Its the same thing at supermarket checkouts. Why is it, women never have their purses ready? Its not as if the sequence of buying has altered over milllenia. Choose, queue and then pay.

First they wait until they see the total, then they peer at the display as if disbelieving what they have heard, then they dig underneath all the shopping they have piled in their bags for their damn purse.

First out comes the handbag, then they rummage around, then out comes the purse which is opened with all the reverance of a State opening of Parliment, then they check the till display again, then hand over a handfull of coppers, then reluctantly hand over the remaining amount.

Then they unpack their shopping bag to return the purse/handbag to the bottom of the shopping bag, just so they can repeat it at the next shop............

Old people driving.

If old people have to be re-tested over and over again when they reach an age threshold to drive HGVs then obviously the government knows old people can't be trusted to drive.

Then why don't they have compulsory re-tests for old car drivers.

They are voluntary, my grandad (who died in '93 after having a stroke while driving) said he wouldn't go for a re-test because he knew they'd take his license.

OAPs have to reapply for driving licenses every couple of years, and I believe some kind of medical is involved. A driving test isn't required, though.

Bearing in mind that having a car is almost essential for most parts of the country.

According to my Grandmother, the way to "finding the bite point" has gradually changed over the years, so most people over 60 or 70 aren't doing it "right" now, which would mean that most people would fail if they had to re-take it :/

Still, she might just be going senile, God bless her.

EDIT: Grammar.

Have you double-bowed them?

I've got a pair of boots that persistently come undone even with double-bowing. I've changed the laces a few times and no matter what laces I use it's the same story. I've resorted to duck tape over the top now.

When you are chronically understaffed one day, then so over staffed the next, that you are made to do stupid jobs just to pass the time... Until 80% of the staff go home, leaving me with a severe wrist injury and 1 other guy to pack up and move the mobile dance-floor at midnight, which just so happens to be bloody heavy!

When you are chronically understaffed one day, then so over staffed the next, that you are made to do stupid jobs just to pass the time... Until 80% of the staff go home, leaving me with a severe wrist injury and 1 other guy to pack up and move the mobile dance-floor at midnight, which just so happens to be bloody heavy!

I hated being knocked of my bike and breaking my wrist and being told it was only sprained, 2 weeks later a letter arrives with a nice note asking me to go to the outpatients clinic (18 years ago but still annoying). I was also annoyed when I was knocked off my bike and broke my Clavicle, then there was the time I was knocked off my bike and opened up my left arm and leg. (then i got a car, havn't been knocked off my bike since)

I hated being knocked of my bike and breaking my wrist and being told it was only sprained, 2 weeks later a letter arrives with a nice note asking me to go to the outpatients clinic (18 years ago but still annoying). I was also annoyed when I was knocked off my bike and broke my Clavicle, then there was the time I was knocked off my bike and opened up my left arm and leg. (then i got a car, havn't been knocked off my bike since)

I hated that we had finally sorted out having a skirmish at "The Airfield", we get there and begin to set up when I manage to come off one of the other guys bike whilst trying to negotiate between the 2 camps. Being told "It's only a sprain or you'd be in more pain" and so deciding to continue with the game into the night. Then using an M249 (quite heavy) whilst standing through the sunroof of a LR Defender, being chucked around, driving the Defender, sleeping, waking up in more pain, driving myself to McD's for breakfast with the guys (damn manual gearbox), then on to the hospital.

At this point I as told "If that's not a fracture, I'll eat your notes". An hour later I get into my car, arm in a cast and am on the phone to my mum asking if she can come and pick me up. 5 days later I am under the knife having a screw put into my scaphoid.

Best bit... My exams started 3 weeks after the accident and I write with the hand I injured.

Edit: And I'm beginning to annoy me because I complain to much :P

Have you double-bowed them?

I've got a pair of boots that persistently come undone even with double-bowing. I've changed the laces a few times and no matter what laces I use it's the same story. I've resorted to duck tape over the top now.

indeed i do double bow them. pain in the buttocks though because they still come undone. the other day i was thoroughly fed up with them so i just tied them in a knot. great cus the didnt come undone...not so great cus they didnt come undone when i wanted them to. had to cut them to get my boot off!

Some boots that do that, I lace them then stick the loose ends of the knot in between the tongue of the boots and the outer.

If that doesn't work, unlace the boots, tie a knot in one end of the lace and lace every hole bottom to top with a single lace.

Tighten it then wrap the loose end around your ankle and stick the last bit into the tongue, no knot to come undone.

Today a large number of young strapping men were sitting at the bus stop near my house. That doesn't bother me. They took up all the benches. That doesn't bother me. I have to stand. I am strong and don't have a problem with it, so no, that doesn't chafe my dish. What does bother me is that this older woman comes over, barely able to walk, and has to stand there as they loaf off on the benches. I speak up and the lot of them get mad that I made the suggestions! "We were here first!" "Stick your nose in someone else's business, church fruitcage..." (I was in a church ministry shirt) and "What, because you are big you think we're scared of you?" were the responses. I was shocked. I was ######. The old lady just stood there too. Eventually, after a lengthy talking to about how they would like to be treated if they were older or if someone ripped their leg off and beat them with it, one of the boys goes "Fruitcage! I am tired of this fruitcaging suitcase! Here, lady!" and got up. Then all the boys left together. Come to find out they were just loitering there...they weren't even waiting for the freakin bus! *Pulls hair out and eats it* Anyhow that is my "Getting older and ###### is bothering me" happening. Just had to share.

Archived