Things that are beginning to annoying me

Tom Andrews

You had a bed? We used to lie awake in our cold gravel dreaming of a bed!

You forgot the other kind of hard school, the kind I went to.

The teachers and prefects dislocate your limbs or rape you (sometimes both) if you miss a class.

Where you wore shorts until the end of your GCSE equivalents even if there was three feet of snow.

If you forgot to make your bed one morning, the next you would be up at 5 running up the mountain next to the school.

Brilliant.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You had a bed? We used to lie awake in our cold gravel dreaming of a bed!

Luxury. The Badger had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, a half an hour before he went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty nine hours a day down mill, and pay his boss for permission to come to work. and when he got home his dad would kill him and dance around on his grave singing hallelujah.

Singing?

You were lucky.

http://xkcd.com/16/

Yes it was a boarding school, which explains a lot.

My fear of bad grammar, my fear of showers, my bizzare west country/canadian accent (school was in Scotland, go figure), my dislike of proles etc.

I shouldn't moan though, I like who I am now and all my past experiences, good and bad, combine to make my personality.

So, it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Being told to take a week off, then 3 weeks later later finding out from my sister (who also works there) that they don't plan to give me any more hours until I have physiotherapy, which I told them won't happen until my wrist heals enough to be beneficial. I lose 3 weeks work at the busiest time of the year and aren't told about it... WTF!

Went to Human Resources and complained... Upshot is that they don't want me back in case I injure myself and sue them!!

Told them this wasn't on and they have agreed to move me. I'm now a receptionist... Hooray(!)

What really got my hackles up is that it was all sorted and then I get a call from the Ops Manager whilst at a family BBQ saying "We've offered you hours, when can you not work? Right, well, you can't turn around and complain we aren't offering you hours when you don't take them" I'm not going to work on the day I have to go to hospital to have more sodding X-rays or the day I get my results that decide if I get into university!

I swear to something, if i didn't have morals (and need the job) I would slap her one. She is such an interfering *badgeress*!

Weird phrase that, don't you think? I can't think of anything I wouldn't be prepared to touch with a shi**y stick of sufficient length, should the circumstances demand it - so long as I didn't have to eat it (or do anything equally unhygenic with it) afterwards :P

Funny story - although could be a rumour....

Some army recruit was generally having a bad time of it, and on parade looked like a bag of rags tied in the middle. RSM is doing the inspection, with his pace stick in hand, as they do. Comes up to this recruit, looks him up and down and takes his stick out from under his his arm and pokes the recruit with it (must have been a few years ago, I don't think they're allowed to do things like that any more) going "There's sh*t on the end of this stick, recruit"

And the recruit, being clueless, gives the stick a good hard look and goes, "Not on this end, Sir."

Went to Human Resources and complained... Upshot is that they don't want me back in case I injure myself and sue them!!

Not sure that's entirely legal, might want to look into a law suit, unfair dismissal and all that. Also it would cause more problems than slapping management

takes his stick out from under his his arm and pokes the recruit with it (must have been a few years ago, I don't think they're allowed to do things like that any more)

A sgt major flung a pacestick like a javelin at someone marching badly during the rehersal for our passing out parade from basic training. Deadly lol.

Not sure that's entirely legal, might want to look into a law suit, unfair dismissal and all that. Also it would cause more problems than slapping management

Don't think so because they didn't dismiss me and are now offering me reception and some bar work. I wouldn't bother anyway. The company is owned by a successful solicitor/lawyer and if I start to take them on, chances are I will loose the fight, money and my job. I've seen people try to take them on before, they backed down and weren't seen again.

Archived