Things that are beginning to annoying me

Tom Andrews

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Royal Mail.

Royal Mail are annoying me at the moment.

You'd think that when someone pays extra for Recorded Delivery, that the postman would at least TRY to get a signature for the item. I mean, it's his job, right? But no, the lazy b*****d just pushes it through the letter box if it's small enough, or puts it in my store room thing if it's too big to fit through the door.

Speaking of which, what's with delivery guys in general? I have printed and laminated comprehensive instructions on what to do with a parcel if there's no-one in to receive them. It involves putting the parcel in a little outbuilding I've got, taking down a code in lieu of a signature, locking the door with the key and putting the key through the letterbox. Safe, secure, and proof-of-delivery provided.

Do they do it? No. Some put it in the room but don't lock the door. So far, I don't think anyone has actually taken down the code number - I check the online tracking after receiving parcels, out of curiosity - and some just take it back to the depot. Can they not read?

It's hardly complex - it takes way longer to describe than it ever would to carry out. And maybe they would say it's not their job to follow a simple set of instructions put in place to make everyone's life easier, but it certainly is their job to get signatures for signed-for items, so why aren't they doing that?

A local postman was on the radio here last week, jailed for 2 years for stealing mail. You'd think Royal Mail would be making damn sure than things were being signed for, wouldn't you?

*passes punkypink ptt*

my webbing is starting to annoy me also. i cant get it to go small enough for me so it keeps moving around making me get sores on my hips and shoulders. also the weight isnt distributed properly so its all on my shoulders making them stiff and achey. even with 2 bungy cords running round the pouches they still fly around when i move. lame PLCE

*passes punkypink ptt*

my webbing is starting to annoy me also. i cant get it to go small enough for me so it keeps moving around making me get sores on my hips and shoulders. also the weight isnt distributed properly so its all on my shoulders making them stiff and achey. even with 2 bungy cords running round the pouches they still fly around when i move. lame PLCE

Heh yea I had that happen on day 1 of GZ so I switched to a lighter loadout. Thank god I brought my CQB vest with me!

PTT ftw. Am loving my new Iasus NT3. Got here just in time on fri morning for GZ! :D

Royal Mail.

Royal Mail are annoying me at the moment.

You'd think that when someone pays extra for Recorded Delivery, that the postman would at least TRY to get a signature for the item. I mean, it's his job, right? But no, the lazy b*****d just pushes it through the letter box if it's small enough, or puts it in my store room thing if it's too big to fit through the door.

Speaking of which, what's with delivery guys in general? I have printed and laminated comprehensive instructions on what to do with a parcel if there's no-one in to receive them. It involves putting the parcel in a little outbuilding I've got, taking down a code in lieu of a signature, locking the door with the key and putting the key through the letterbox. Safe, secure, and proof-of-delivery provided.

Do they do it? No. Some put it in the room but don't lock the door. So far, I don't think anyone has actually taken down the code number - I check the online tracking after receiving parcels, out of curiosity - and some just take it back to the depot. Can they not read?

I think they'd probably argue that it's not their job to go on Hedge's Little Treasure Hunt, and that if they can't knock the door and get an answer, then why should they bother doing anything else?

Lazy bastards, the lot of 'em.

Ben.

Cheers Ben.

I'm not lazy, you try trolling around 500 houses carrying bag after bag of junk mail, delivering it to people who don't want it, getting moaned at, having your fingers chewed by the letterboxes of ignorant morons who don't install them properly and getting attacked by dogs who "never bit anyone before".

Not getting a signature for a recorded is naughty but some of my customers want me to leave them, if you object, go to the post office with the item, they can track the number, see that you have it without having signed for it and the postie gets a warning, 3 of those and he gets the sack.

or

You could think on the bright side and call the post office and tell them your parcel never arrived, give then the tracking number and they will see that it was never signed for and give you 36 quid.

That way you get 36 quid and your postie doesn't get the sack.

Doing anything other than procedure can get you in just as much trouble as not getting a sig for a recorded so things like hed's instructions are down to the initiative of the postie.

Had several cases of the postie just putting through a 'Sorry We Missed You' note, without knocking the door. How ###### is that?

Mind you, our postie right now is doing a good job. Had a few package come when I was out, and he left them with nextdoor, which is pretty good work on his part.

For the most part, nothing but bad experiences, though.

Ben.

Postman at my old house used to do that. I caught him once, putting a card through the door just as I was walking past (day off work), so I yank the door open and ask how come I didn't hear him knock or ring, since I was stood right by the door, and where's the package?

He says he didn't bring it, since it was too big to fit through a letterbox.

I proceed to give him a serious earful about being a lazy c**t and if he didn't want a job involving delivering parcels, maybe he shouldn't have got a job with the Royal Mail, and where the hell is my parcel, why the hell should I got to the post office to pick it up when you're just too f*****g lazy to bring it to my door like you're paid to do, blah, blah, blah.

When I went to the post office later, I filed a complaint about it. I like to think something bad happened to the lazy bugger, but I doubt it. Seems like it's common practice amongst lazy deliverymen. Had parcelfarce guys do the same thing - pulls the van into the drive on a rainy day, doesn't even bother to get out, see him through the window writing on a clipboard, van drives away. I take down the reg number and stuff, make a note of the time. Postcard comes in a day or so, "Parcel at the depot, couldn't deliver because you were out, blah, blah" I phone them up, give them an earful, give them the details of the vehicle, time, date, description of the guy from what I could see, etc, etc. Again, I like to think something bad happened to him, but probably not.

Mind you, I caught one delivery guy from some courier company the other day, just as he was putting the key through the door - I was just coming home - and he proceeds to tell me what a great idea I'd had, best thing he's ever seen, why can't everyone be so sensible, and such great instructions, blah, blah. Made me feel pretty chuffed about it.

... Why can't they just take the code, lock the door, and post the key through... and nick the package?

No reason, I guess, but why would they bother to do all that? That's pretty much taking out a sign that says they did it. Same as the parcelfarce guy who faked my name and time on a POD for a date and time when I was at work. Pretty obvious.

Got to have some trust in these guys - if they follow the instructions, great. If they don't want to, for whatever reason, then they should take the parcel back to the depot and bring it back out the next day like they're supposed to, or whatever their particular company says they have to do.

I put a plan into place that saves them having to take the item back and bring it back out another day. It saves me having to wait longer to get the package. It's got some modicum of security built in. It's not perfect, what is? If you can think of a better plan, feel free to suggest it to me.

Also, doesn't it mean that you can only receive one package a day?

Maybe some sort of contraption to resemble a night safe... You make this, along with a faux front to whatever room you use for the packages, so that no-one can get behind it, or whatever.

The same plan as yours, but instead of leaving it in the shed and locking the door, they post it through (unless it doesn't fit, in which case, lock the door, I 'spose). Once it goes through, no-one has access to it until you get back, and no-one can just open the handle and access the packages, as it is a one-way valve, if you see what I mean.

It's pretty handy if you get a lot of packages, I 'spose.

Ben.

My system means I can only get one delivery per day. It's unusual that I get more than one per day anyway, so it's not a drama. It had the advantage of not needing me to build anything. I had lconsidered making some kind of parcel safe type device, which would be bolted to a wall and have one of those vending-machine style drawers where you open it and another door attached to the other side closes so you can't reach all the way though. BUt it's a bit more complex to set up and requires getting hold of a load of strong sheet metal and some welding equipment...

I think I've done the best I can on a budget of 50p for a couple of pieces of A4 paper, some laser-printer toner and two laminator pouches. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The worst flipping thing ever is when youre driving, 100-200 feet in front of you, the light turns red. You slow down and stop and just get HAMMERED in the back. Then, worst of all, the person sits there yelling "What the *fruitcage*!?" and act like it is YOUR fault for stopping at a perfectly legal RED LIGHT! Jesus that posses me off more than I can possibly explain.

Another incredibly irritating thing is when you get to a stop sign, come to a complete stop, see nobody, and start pulling out, when some idiot flies through the stop, laying on the horn and the brake and giving you a look going "Why the hell can't you see me coming around the corner and anticipate that I wasn't going to stop!!??"

Too bad I can't see into the future, poopies. Argh now I'm all ###### off haha

When people say 'Well, you know what they say about [insert certain physical/psychological attribute].'

Well actually, no I don't know what this mystical 'they' you refer to say about it, and do you know why? 'Cause all anyone bloody says is the same as what you just said. It's a *fruitcage* recursion loop I tells ya :angry22:

If only someone would actually codify all these things that people are meant to say about whatever, it would put a bloody end to all this ambiguousness.[/rant]

Static noise on tv's is driving me crazy (when i unplug the dvd and plug in my freeviewbox)

people who dont indidcate on the motorway and people who sit up your backside

people who ask "can i help you" as soon as you walk into a shop (one day i will hit you)

and one just that applys to me...

The polish workers at my site who keep on pinching my ladders and paint my glass!

Archived