Bell M1911A1 Full-Metal GBB (EG723)

• 11 months later...

About a year and quite a few rounds later (as well as constant playing with the slide out of boredom), the slide lock is starting to fail. However, it looks like the problem is just with the magazine and a new mag will fix everything. The mag still doesn't leak miraculously and the only wear on the finish is a little bit on the controls and the screws in the grip. Gotta say that I absolutely love this thing for what I paid for it. Strong recoil and a nice muzzle report make it great for summer days with some tin cans.

Yeah its worth the money I paid for it. There were some small issues that I had to correct but its one of my favourite combat handguns. I took the paint off and polished the slide and frame. The slide is aluminium and retains the shine but the frame is pot metal so its a little dull at the moment particularly where my hand touches the metal.

It fires off more rounds than the TM M1911 per charge of gas and is just as accurate, with more recoil. Its better than both the Marui and the WA SCW3 M1911 for weight, feel and gas endurance.

When you took the paint off the slide, did the trademarks stay intact at all? They are engraved, just not in the conventional method, more like a shallow stamp. If you can still read them without the highlighting that comes with it, I'm gonna take that off. Also, I still need to find some paint that matches the parkerized finish of the real deal so I can get rid of that stupid chrome barrel.

Yeah its really shallow but it stays. I think its lasered on cheap paint.

When you take the paint off the Pot metal parts oxidise faster than your aluminium parts. The barrel and slide are aluminium, as is the slide catch. But the frame, barrel bushings are not. So long as you aren't constantly holding onto the pot metal parts the shine will still be there.

You will need to get a metal polisher to get that shine on :)

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got two Bell 1911's and both suffer from really bad gas efficiency. One is fitted with the Guarder metal slide/frame set and the other is the newer MEU version stock. I love look and feel of both but I can only get maybe 15 shots out of either on green gas when firing very slow. Fired quickly maybe only 8 rounds before the gas is gone. And I've tried this with MEU mags, 1911 mags and KJW 1911 magazines. Other people are telling me they get 20+ on a fill of gas, any tips to help make these guns more skirmishable?

I've got two Bell 1911's and both suffer from really bad gas efficiency. One is fitted with the Guarder metal slide/frame set and the other is the newer MEU version stock. I love look and feel of both but I can only get maybe 15 shots out of either on green gas when firing very slow. Fired quickly maybe only 8 rounds before the gas is gone. And I've tried this with MEU mags, 1911 mags and KJW 1911 magazines. Other people are telling me they get 20+ on a fill of gas, any tips to help make these guns more skirmishable?

Put more gas in the mags. Your gas can nozzle may itself be leaking against the fill valve when you put in the gas.

I'm pretty sure that's not it... I have owned a lot of GBB's in the past and I've never had such bad gas consumption even with a first generation WE 1911 single stack.

I wouldn't count out a not-so-filled magazine. Try filling the mag for 15 seconds while making sure the gas can nozzle is perpendicular to the mag and come back with the results. Extreme cooldown such as what you're experiencing is caused by excessive gas consumption, which means a leak in the system, an insufficient amount of gas to begin with, or a combination of the two. If it doesn't get any better by filling it up with more gas, I'd check for leaks. Checking to see if you filled it up correctly is the easiest thing to check, so it wouldn't hurt to try.

Edited by Mental Medic

Also take apart the BBU and clean it.

When i got my metal bell 1911 it was full of metal filings from the machining process. I took it to component parts, cleaned and greased it before ever firing a shot (Yea i know, voided warantee but hey, at that price its good for spare parts)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what's the diff between the MEU or 1911 and 723 or 728 but I bought it because I read all problems were rid off in the latest upgraded offering of the 728 and it shoots over 300 fps OOB. I also chose this over the R27 which have leaky valves and some seals problem which can easily be fixed but I don't have the right tools and I am getting seriously lazy of late.

I chose the 728 over the 723, still dunno what's the diff? Is it because of the tail? The 728 have a longer tail while the 723's tail is like a doberman! I like the full tail version.

I am no fan of this gun, its like the M4, its everywhere but I do have the M4 and now, this! Do I like it? Getting there!

At temperature of 28 degrees celsius, the new-ish demo piece (because brand new sealed piece have a messed up slide with CA) I bought are chrono'ed at 336 FPS. I asked the dude to change the slides for me but he speaky no Ingish. So I settled for the demo piece at no further discount, gawdammit!

I read somewhere that using a high flow valve and harder spring, this sucka can spew BB out harder at over 330 FPS (Uncompany) but OOB, this thing is already 336 FPS. So, will I be wasting gas if I use the high flow valve thingy?

B

Edited by Boxster
  • 1 month later...

Sorry if its a necrosomething, but I will have one of these beauties in the mail in the next days and I plan on making it my Sniper/DMR backup, so I will stick to it a spare maui hop rubber I have lying around, but I would like to increae its performance a little bit, what would you suggest? a tanio koba inner barrel? other brand? other upgrade?

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the bump. Just recently, one of the lips on the top of the mag snapped off after heavy usage. The rest of the gun was functioning fine, with the exception of one screw that fell out of the pistol grip and I never found. This thing truly does appear to be rock solid for the money.

• 2 weeks later...